Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva,scotia,Anonymous,Cornytiv34, for Donating to support the site

Credit Card with Expaedia

Credit Cards, borrowing on Loans and discussions on Stoozing
feder1
Lemon Slice

Credit Card with Expaedia

Postby feder1 » November 12th, 2020, 11:38 am

We hear that Expaedia has been the subject of a massive data leak of personal info and has been at risk for years.

What is the position if the credit card that I used has been replaced by a more up to date one from the same company.?

Does it mean that the old card on their system is of no use to crims and that I don't need to worry please?

Dod101
The full Lemon

Re: Credit Card with Expaedia

Postby Dod101 » November 12th, 2020, 11:56 am

feder1 wrote:We hear that Expaedia has been the subject of a massive data leak of personal info and has been at risk for years.

What is the position if the credit card that I used has been replaced by a more up to date one from the same company.?

Does it mean that the old card on their system is of no use to crims and that I don't need to worry please?

My experience with say Amazon is that when a card expires, say the expiry date invalidates it, then the system will reject it. I have often wondered though because the number on the card and the name are the same so I would have thought that it might be possible to 'doctor' it. Maybe some expert can tell us.

Dod

dealtn
Lemon Half

Postby dealtn » November 12th, 2020, 12:10 pm

Dod101 wrote:
feder1 wrote:We hear that Expaedia has been the subject of a massive data leak of personal info and has been at risk for years.

My experience with say Amazon is that when a card expires, say the expiry date invalidates it, then the system will reject it. I have often wondered though because the number on the card and the name are the same so I would have thought that it might be possible to 'doctor' it. Maybe some expert can tell us.

Dod

On expiry your physical card will be replaced, as much as anything it's to ensure accounts continue to function due to wear and tear of the "strip" or "chip".

The account number is unlikely to change, however the CVV "3 digits on the back" likely will. In addition someone in possession of the number, from finding a statement etc. will still need in many cases online to know the expiry date, which isn't easily guessable and repeated "wrong" guesses are likely to be flagged on the security system of the issuer.

Watis
Lemon Quarter

Postby Watis » November 12th, 2020, 12:15 pm

Hmmnn, I was wondering why my credit card provider replaced my credit card recently, long before its expiry date!

Improved security was the reason given for reissuing it and, yes, I have used it to make bookings with these companies.

The old card was deactivated at the same time.

Watis

PinkDalek
Lemon Half

Postby PinkDalek » November 12th, 2020, 4:03 pm

Not merely Expedia.

See for example https://lifehacker.com/what-to-do-about-the-data-leak-that-hit-8-major-hotel-b-1845623495

Including There’s also no evidence of scams or identity theft attempts against any of the individuals impacted by the leak., ... The server is now secured and there’s no evidence the data is being misused (yet), the information is sensitive enough that anyone who has used one of the following hotel websites since 2013 should be extra vigilant about their data going forward and further on for info. that may have been out there, such as card number, CVV, expiration date, etc.

Assuming that's the same one.

Return to “Credit Cards and Loans”