Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to Wasron,jfgw,Rhyd6,eyeball08,Wondergirly, for Donating to support the site

Can't get a credit card.

Credit Cards, borrowing on Loans and discussions on Stoozing
Peanutte
Lemon Pip

Can't get a credit card.

Postby Peanutte » October 17th, 2022, 9:32 am

I had a John Lewis CC (operated by HSBC) - for over 9 years - never missed a payment - balance cleared every month. Credit limit £4,500. JL have stopped using HSBC and transferred their operation to NewDay. You had to apply afresh - the accounts were not automatically transferred.

I applied and was rejected. I have read - and also heard an item on 'You and Yours' (Radio 4) - about lots of (mainly) older people with good track records also being rejected. So I assumed it was some kind of policy by NewDay.

So I applied for one or two other cards - they claim to do only soft searches - from the Martin Lewis website. Rejected by each of them.

Eventually I applied for a 'Fluid' card - came with 100% guaranteed acceptance. I'm not worried about the high interest rate as I clear the balance each month. Initially it was accepted, but this morning came an email also saying I've been rejected.

My credit score is 667/710 and says 'excellent'. There is nothing untoward on my credit report. Of course, none of the card providers will tell you why you have been rejected. Hy husband and I are retired. We have some rental properties with mortgages - all of which are paid every month - and which provide a good income.

I think it was the rejection by Fluid - who appear to offer cards to almost anyone - that hit the hardest.

Atm, I am using my husband's card. That's no real problem - but if he didn't have a card or I didn't have a husband, I would be well and truly stuck.
Does anyone have any insight into such constant and absolute rejection?

(As an aside, my brother recently suffered at the hands of scammers and received several unwanted cards and credit accounts through the post. He spoke to the various fraud departments - Argos being the most helpful. The lady there said that the cards had been opened with only basic information - and 'his' date of birth was completely wrong. Makes you wonder how the scammers managed to open cards and accounts with duff information.)

DrFfybes
Lemon Quarter

Re: Can't get a credit card.

Postby DrFfybes » October 17th, 2022, 9:46 am

First thing is to check your credit score with one of the free sites, see how 'soft' the checks were.

My suspicion is that the rejected application from NewDay is a red flag and an automatic rejection from other card providers, and the following applications tipped the balance for Fluid.

Paul

AF62
Lemon Quarter

Postby AF62 » October 17th, 2022, 9:54 am

Have you tried applying for a card with the bank that you have a current account with. At least they should have a better picture of your 'day to day' finances.

Peanutte
Lemon Pip

Postby Peanutte » October 18th, 2022, 9:51 am

I had already checked my credit score, but following your advice, I went through it more carefully.

Anyway, I raised a query with them (Clear Score) yesterday. And lo and behold, this morning I have been accepted for a 'Fluid' card (after their refusal yesterday morning). What a coincidence.

Thank you for your support,

Pea.

Alaric
Lemon Half

Postby Alaric » October 18th, 2022, 10:22 am

Peanutte wrote: We have some rental properties with mortgages - all of which are paid every month - and which provide a good income.

Perhaps the mortgages are the problem. They just total up the amount borrowed and won't let you have any more as a credit card.

pje16
Lemon Half

Postby pje16 » October 18th, 2022, 11:19 am

Also, rejections will count against you (even though in your case that seems unfair)

Return to “Credit Cards and Loans”