Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to Wasron,jfgw,Rhyd6,eyeball08,Wondergirly, for Donating to support the site

Unrecognised Credit Card Transaction

Credit Cards, borrowing on Loans and discussions on Stoozing
TopStar74
Lemon Pip

Unrecognised Credit Card Transaction

Postby TopStar74 » November 1st, 2022, 10:22 am

It has taken Tesco 4 days to get back to me on a unrecognised transaction in my statement and they are refusing to investigated it. This was a transaction abroad on a holiday. They also do not have clear details of the merchant and are suggesting that it is not their fault that there is no clear details of the merchant that it is Master Card's fault! But I have no means to approach Mastercard and I don't know why they don't approach Master Card to get the address/phone number or even exact location of the merchant! Surely they should use/have GPS technology to get the exact location the transaction happened. He kept cutting me out of my patient and calm queries/conversations and he kept interrupting me to just tell me about how to claim a chargeback transaction and end the call. However, when I clicked on that link that was not a complaint form, it was to claim a chargeback which sometimes happen on duplicate transactions. I don't even recognise this transaction and I have kept accurate records of all debit and credit card transactions during my trip.

The man was quite rude, blunt and curt. But I don't wish to get triggered by emotion here. I want to see how I can get it to them that this is unfair. His suggestion that I still have my card, so it cannot be fraud is ridiculous.

Before I make a complaint I was wondering if anyone can give me any pointers on how to approach this please.

XFool
The full Lemon

Re: Unrecognised Credit Card Transaction

Postby XFool » November 1st, 2022, 7:25 pm

TopStar74 wrote:It has taken Tesco 4 days to get back to me on a unrecognised transaction in my statement and they are refusing to investigated it. This was a transaction abroad on a holiday. They also do not have clear details of the merchant and are suggesting that it is not their fault that there is no clear details of the merchant that it is Master Card's fault! But I have no means to approach Mastercard and I don't know why they don't approach Master Card to get the address/phone number or even exact location of the merchant! Surely they should use/have GPS technology to get the exact location the transaction happened. He kept cutting me out of my patient and calm queries/conversations and he kept interrupting me to just tell me about how to claim a chargeback transaction and end the call. However, when I clicked on that link that was not a complaint form, it was to claim a chargeback which sometimes happen on duplicate transactions. I don't even recognise this transaction and I have kept accurate records of all debit and credit card transactions during my trip.

The man was quite rude, blunt and curt. But I don't wish to get triggered by emotion here. I want to see how I can get it to them that this is unfair. His suggestion that I still have my card, so it cannot be fraud is ridiculous.

I agree, it is ridiculous. It seems to me to reflect badly on Tesco.

A year or so ago I had an unknown transaction on my Visa Barclaycard, a transfer of £20 cash to a Wise account. I noticed it immediately on my account statement, due to the cash transfer charge and because I don't ever make cash transfers from my credit card. I notified Barclaycard and they dealt with it all and refunded the cash and charge. They didn't tell me any of the details, so I am none the wiser(!). This was the first time I have ever seen any false transaction on a card of mine and I had no trouble with reporting it to Barclaycard.

Actually - this just reminded me of something. I have a Tesco mobile, no problems apart from a few years ago. I pay for top-ups by credit card and after receiving a new CC I tried to top up, no go. I rang Tesco: "Card refused". Phoned card supplier: "Card not refused". Phoned Tesco: "Card refused by card supplier". Phoned card supplier: "Card not refused, no reason for it to be refused. Transaction not even requested by merchant". etc. Used another card, eventually original card accepted by Tesco system. My guess, the card was refused by Tesco card check system (unrecognised card type number?) not by card supplier as stated by Tesco. When Tesco system data was updated, card recognised.

Sorry I cannot offer any helpful advice, apart perhaps from change card supplier!

staffordian
Lemon Quarter

Postby staffordian » November 1st, 2022, 9:36 pm

TopStar74 wrote:It has taken Tesco 4 days to get back to me on a unrecognised transaction in my statement and they are refusing to investigated it. This was a transaction abroad on a holiday. They also do not have clear details of the merchant and are suggesting that it is not their fault that there is no clear details of the merchant that it is Master Card's fault! But I have no means to approach Mastercard and I don't know why they don't approach Master Card to get the address/phone number or even exact location of the merchant! Surely they should use/have GPS technology to get the exact location the transaction happened. He kept cutting me out of my patient and calm queries/conversations and he kept interrupting me to just tell me about how to claim a chargeback transaction and end the call. However, when I clicked on that link that was not a complaint form, it was to claim a chargeback which sometimes happen on duplicate transactions. I don't even recognise this transaction and I have kept accurate records of all debit and credit card transactions during my trip.

Before I make a complaint I was wondering if anyone can give me any pointers on how to approach this please.

I'm assuming you are saying this is a fraudulent / erronious transaction rather than one you made but dont recall?

In which case, surely a chargeback is what is needed to sort it?

In my (admittedly limited) experience, card providers are reluctant to give details. They'd far sooner refund the transaction than divulge any details.

stockton
Lemon Slice

Postby stockton » November 2nd, 2022, 12:18 pm

Use another medium to contact Tesco. Call centres seldom provide an adequate service for anything complicated.

AF62
Lemon Quarter

Postby AF62 » November 3rd, 2022, 1:42 pm

staffordian wrote:I'm assuming you are saying this is a fraudulent / erronious transaction rather than one you made but dont recall?

In which case, surely a chargeback is what is needed to sort it?

In my (admittedly limited) experience, card providers are reluctant to give details. They'd far sooner refund the transaction than divulge any details.

The issue I have found on rare occasions is that it probably isn’t fraudulent but I simply don’t recognise the vendor name as it appears on the statement because the vendor has chosen to use something completely different for the card company to its premises.

Usually a quick google of what appears on the statement resolves the issue and with some companies like Amex you can click on the transaction line and it will give you some more details such as a postcode.

BigB
Lemon Slice

Postby BigB » November 3rd, 2022, 2:42 pm

A couple of months ago I failed to contact Tesco Bank successfully to query a 4.99 transaction/discrepancy - no simple contact form or phone contact available (or at least one where they didn't hang up when transferring you to the correct dept), I ended up making a formal complaint (partly about having been disconnected without attempted reconnection) and then they handled it efficiently via the complaints procedure and email, all within about 3 weeks.

A little frustrating. I suspected they had high numbers of call centre staff with a specific/narrow range of skills/experience, and also probably with restricted systems access - only making the complaint would get you access to the resources you needed.

Loup321
Lemon Slice

Postby Loup321 » November 4th, 2022, 7:39 am

BigB wrote:A little frustrating. I suspected they had high numbers of call centre staff with a specific/narrow range of skills/experience, and also probably with restricted systems access - only making the complaint would get you access to the resources you needed.

I had exactly this with Halifax. Getting nowhere with about four phonecalls over three weeks to Customer Services, eventually I said the words "I would like to raise this to a complaint, please" and the call handler spoke to her supervisor who suggested a fix that had everything working within five minutes. They wanted me to drop the complaint, but I said I wanted to continue with it anyway, since it was a general lack of staff training I was complaining about. They gave me £50 and said they'd train their staff.

TopStar74
Lemon Pip

Postby TopStar74 » November 7th, 2022, 11:00 am

Thanks so much everyone for your responses.

No it wasn't a vendor I don't recognise, in fact I recognise the vendor very clearly. We walked passed that restaurant, stood near the entrance counter and looked at the menu. There were lots of these wireless cash machines to accept card transactions literally on the menu we were reading. So the only possibility, I am thinking is as we were standing there and looking at the menu........... it might have zapped my card details through the wireless thing? That is the only possibility. But my explanation of this event to this unhelpful man proved useless. He instantly actually made a tone where he did not trust to believe in me. But this wasn't my explanation, just a potential idea of what could have happened, as we did not make this transaction. The menu was quite expensive and we walked home and had a salad we made from buying ingredients from a local store.

I have raised a complaint and also made a chargeback. But it is over a week and no responses back as yet. Absolutely frustrating.

But it is a relief to hear about your experiences.

DrFfybes
Lemon Quarter

Postby DrFfybes » November 7th, 2022, 1:58 pm

TopStar74 wrote:Thanks so much everyone for your responses.

No it wasn't a vendor I don't recognise, in fact I recognise the vendor very clearly. We walked passed that restaurant, stood near the entrance counter and looked at the menu. There were lots of these wireless cash machines to accept card transactions literally on the menu we were reading. So the only possibility, I am thinking is as we were standing there and looking at the menu........... it might have zapped my card details through the wireless thing?

I may be missing something here, but how did it know to charge 'you'? Is there any 'cardholder verification' on the charge, or was it contactless?

Are you saying there is a menu and a paypoint next to each one? Is the menu a touchscreen that you select on and then 'tap to pay' a bit like the self service ones in Burger King etc? My thinking is you accidentally selected an item, and your wallet was close enough to the contactless reciever for it to think you were presenting your card. Perhaps the person next to you had selected and as there were 2 of you then you were next to their paypoint, or perhaps someone had a card scanner and relay to send the info to the paypoint.

Somewhere in the corner of a foreign field there could be a very cold burger waiting for you.

Paul

XFool
The full Lemon

Postby XFool » November 7th, 2022, 4:36 pm

TopStar74 wrote:So the only possibility, I am thinking is as we were standing there and looking at the menu........... it might have zapped my card details through the wireless thing? That is the only possibility. But my explanation of this event to this unhelpful man proved useless. He instantly actually made a tone where he did not trust to believe in me. But this wasn't my explanation, just a potential idea of what could have happened, as we did not make this transaction.

If it was a contactless transaction would there not be an icon indicating this, next to the payment on your credit card statement?

staffordian
Lemon Quarter

Postby staffordian » November 7th, 2022, 9:59 pm

XFool wrote:If it was a contactless transaction would there not be an icon indicating this, next to the payment on your credit card statement?

Neither my current account statements nor my Tesco credit card statements differentiate between PIN verified and contactless payments.

XFool
The full Lemon

Postby XFool » November 7th, 2022, 10:28 pm

staffordian wrote:Neither my current account statements nor my Tesco credit card statements differentiate between PIN verified and contactless payments.

Time to apply for a new credit card?

TopStar74
Lemon Pip

Postby TopStar74 » November 9th, 2022, 11:08 am

Paul,

I don't know the answer to your questions, and if it implied I was suggesting that it happened, then it was just my assumption as I could not think of anything else. Another thing which I have already mentioned to Tesco in my initial conversation was - when we were at the counter, which was literally outside on the footpath in the promenade......there were two young men hanging around us constantly and at one point one was literally behind me, like two inches away, standing in a weird position, but looking far away towards the sea! Wife felt it was really weird and asked me to watch out for him so that I don't collide. Then in a few seconds they walked away in a straight line, far away like they were in a hurry.
All this makes the entire evening really frustrating, to think of it. Wish we just stayed in the hotel and ate what we had.

Return to “Credit Cards and Loans”