Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva,scotia,Anonymous,Cornytiv34, for Donating to support the site

Albion Care homes and COVID-19

Sophisticated and complex high-risk tax-sensitive investments in small companies: handle with care
timbo003
2 Lemon pips

Albion Care homes and COVID-19

Postby timbo003 » May 23rd, 2020, 6:43 pm

Albion's Cumnor Hill Care home is featured in this Newsnight article (May 23rd). It seems they were well prepared for the COVID pandemic and locked down earlier than most other care homes:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/health-52 ... down-early

BusyBumbleBee
Lemon Slice

Re: Albion Care homes and COVID-19

Postby BusyBumbleBee » May 25th, 2020, 12:38 pm

Thank-you for this Tim. A very interesting link showing how caring Albion have been - big points to them too.

Don't know what you are up to during the lock-down but I am (as I suspect are many contributors here), undergoing the trials and tribulations of being confined to home - which for me actually is no real big deal for two reasons

a) I've plenty of space - 16 acres of wood and pasture.
b) I've plenty to do as I chair a huge well-being project here in Norfolk - a multi-headed monster of a project covering everything from loneliness, isolation at one end of the spectrum to making sure we have a planet to live on - the green end of the spectrum as it were.

Not surprisingly the Covid-19 crisis has created yet more work for our small team but has been very rewarding. We collaborate and work with many agencies, NGOs, government departments etc including the police from which this message came just before this bank holiday
kindness is a medicine we should all be giving and receiving. Doing something good – putting other people’s needs before your own – not only helps other people but can also help to reduce stress and improve your mood. I have no doubt acts of kindness have been happening across Norfolk since day one of lockdown. However, while some restrictions might be easing, the pressures people are facing remain the same. Let’s not forget that and help our family, friends and colleagues where we can

What is everyone else doing at the moment?

UncleEbenezer
The full Lemon

Postby UncleEbenezer » May 25th, 2020, 2:45 pm

BusyBumbleBee wrote:What is everyone else doing at the moment?

Thanks for sharing, BBB. Methinks you're off-topic, but welcome.

I have no outdoor space other than a small balcony over the river - with my neighbours' balconies either side. I sometimes sit out there with a cuppa and something to read: mid-afternoon is good, until the direct sun comes round and makes it too hot in the evening.

My social life has closed down, being centred primarily on music (where I both perform and watch), and secondarily theatre (as audience only - my attempts to tread the boards have been, shall we say, less than successful).

However, I do have Dartmoor on my doorstep: if I'm feeling energetic I can walk to the official edge of the moor in ten minutes. No shortage of places for walking, cycling and now with the warm weather, swimming. So on the whole this is not a bad place to be locked down. It was worse in 2001.

timbo003
2 Lemon pips

Postby timbo003 » May 26th, 2020, 4:45 pm

What is everyone else doing at the moment?

This time last year year I was attending AGMs or evening investor meetings maybe 3-4 times a week, sadly that is no more, so I have been using some of my spare time building bird boxes and devising ways of capturing garden birds and mammals on camera. Lorraine is beginning to think I may have taken this new pursuit far enough, after seeing these examples of my endeavours:

Warning: very off topic

Inside and outside the Starling nest box dual view (Normal speed)
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1m4rgwz ... sp=sharing

Inside and outside the Starling nest box dual view (Slow motion, 1/5th speed)
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1QBxDaW ... sp=sharing

barchid
Lemon Slice

Postby barchid » May 26th, 2020, 5:16 pm

BBB
Well we were in S Africa for 3 months after Christmas and 2 days before we were due to leave our flight was cancelled due to their impending lockdown.
So the last 2 months we spent down there, having to drink through our wine supply but happily, before it ran out (no alcohol or tobacco allowed to be sold at present), we were able to return to London on a repatriation flight, organised exceedingly smoothly by our High Commission in SA.
However it was a wonderfully restful 2 months in super weather and not long queues in most supermarkets and no panic buying. Nevertheless 5 months away is far too long so we were super happy as our flight departed Cape Town yesterday lunchtime....

BusyBumbleBee
Lemon Slice

Postby BusyBumbleBee » May 27th, 2020, 11:51 am

timbo003 wrote:Warning: very off topic

Inside and outside the Starling nest box dual view (Normal speed)
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1m4rgwz ... sp=sharing 8-)

Inside and outside the Starling nest box dual view (Slow motion, 1/5th speed)
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1QBxDaW ... sp=sharing 8-)

Surely not off topic, Tim - I just assumed you were putting forward a new business for a VCT to fund ;)

Return to “Venture Capital Trusts (VCT's)”