Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to MrFahrenheit,SalvorHardin,Anonymous,johnhemming,Anonymous, for Donating to support the site

BSC/BSV

Sophisticated and complex high-risk tax-sensitive investments in small companies: handle with care
barchid
2 Lemon pips

BSC/BSV

Postby barchid » June 26th, 2020, 10:48 am

Good to see that the dris scheme is being restarted for both BSC & BSV as per their meetings this week, also their share buyback scheme.
The first buyback post covid was today, hopefully things are gradually returning to normal, VCT wise.

BusyBumbleBee
Lemon Slice

Re: BSC/BSV

Postby BusyBumbleBee » July 4th, 2020, 11:48 am

Sorry for being so long coming back on this one, Barchid, just so busy on other things.

They were not at all impressive results and very glad I sold all mine some time ago now When you analyse their total return a great deal of it came from Go Outdoors which they sold at a fantastic multiple when they sold it really well - and at the right time. It is now in administration.

kind regards - BBB

UncleEbenezer
Lemon Quarter

Postby UncleEbenezer » July 4th, 2020, 12:21 pm

BusyBumbleBee wrote:Sorry for being so long coming back on this one, Barchid, just so busy on other things.

They were not at all impressive results and very glad I sold all mine some time ago now When you analyse their total return a great deal of it came from Go Outdoors which they sold at a fantastic multiple when they sold it really well - and at the right time. It is now in administration.

kind regards - BBB

GO in administration? Speaking as an occasional customer who'd be sorry to see them go ... Ouch! When buying something to wear - like a coat or a backpack - I really value having such a wide range to try for comfort!

That had me googling, and I find https://www.consultancy.uk/news/24953/g ... y-deloitte . Something that looks like a pre-pack, so for us as consumers it looks like business as usual.

As it happens, my BS1 went last year when raising house purchase funds. I still have my BS2.

BusyBumbleBee
Lemon Slice

Postby BusyBumbleBee » July 4th, 2020, 4:16 pm

See here for some details, uncleE - https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-53152566. They do seem to be still trading though.

barchid
2 Lemon pips

Postby barchid » July 5th, 2020, 8:02 am

BBB
Thanks for the input re BSC's, I did seee the JD sports announcement, but really they bought a good business, probably at too high a price & then expanded it at the wrong time.
I know exactly what you mean re the accounts but my point really was that BSC/YFM were one of the first managers to stop DRIS, buybacks and also to revalue their portfolio downwards after covid impacted and have now resumed them so perhaps they have a feeling that their portfolio is weathering the storm OK ?
It is, of course, notoriously difficult to value unquoteds in this type of climate and their legacy portfolio did have a fair amount of consumer facing businesses which must be badly affected, though there was a move more towards capital light & tech investments under the "new" rules. The other aspect is that from memory their expenses/ongoing fees are on the high side. "Just so busy on other things" shows you are living up to your monicker, I trust all is going well for you ?

Kidman
Lemon Slice

Postby Kidman » July 21st, 2020, 2:02 pm

I have one concern with BSV; that the Chairman, Helen Sinclair, has been in post for too long and is overdue for replacement. Hence I voted against her re-elction as a director.

Return to “Venture Capital Trusts (VCT's)”