Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to jfgw,Rhyd6,eyeball08,Wondergirly,bofh, for Donating to support the site

Unicorn VCT Thoughts?

Sophisticated and complex high-risk tax-sensitive investments in small companies: handle with care
barchid
Lemon Slice

Re: Unicorn VCT Thoughts?

Postby barchid » May 9th, 2020, 10:27 am

Uncle/Scotia
Could not agree more, I stupidly bought some about 3 years ago on an offer without checking if they had a discount control mechanism, when I realised the discount was mid teens (at that time), I wrote to the manager who replied in September 2017 saying "we are happy/comfortable with the current discount level on the VCT", then carried on correctly pointing out that they "had never sought to offer a fixed discount onthe buy back of shares, rather offer a monthly buyback, subject to shareholder demand" and saying that they aimed to keep the discount comparable to that of IT's in the smaller companies sector.
I was stupid not to have researched this more thoroughly pre purchase, but I always find when I have a bit of skin in the game I tend to be much more thorough. I take the view that their stock selection is pretty good but then so are Amati & Hargreave Hale (the latter conspicuously absent in the offer lists this past year) & they both offer very helpful buy back schemes so my AIM VCT interest is now on those two.
You have to pay the money to find out, an old saying but so true !

UncleEbenezer
The full Lemon

Re: Unicorn VCT Thoughts?

Postby UncleEbenezer » May 18th, 2020, 7:17 pm

Peter Dicks to retire from board. Served as chairman until recently. New chairman Tim Woodcock. No idea if change at the top might affect discount policy.

Come to think of it, it was only a couple of years ago they moved to two dividends a year. Not in a hurry to follow fashions!

Return to “Venture Capital Trusts (VCT's)”