Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to Wasron,jfgw,Rhyd6,eyeball08,Wondergirly, for Donating to support the site

Moving certificated VCTs to broker - best broker?

Sophisticated and complex high-risk tax-sensitive investments in small companies: handle with care
onslow
2 Lemon pips

Moving certificated VCTs to broker - best broker?

Postby onslow » February 26th, 2020, 11:48 am

Hi all

What is the boards current view on the best broker to move certificated holdings to?

I need to update my address and most VCT registrar's are operating back in the 1990s in this regard - ie print off a form, sign and post back. Ridiculous

As I'm renting and will likely need from move again, thinking it'll be easier to move them to a broker. HL looks to be the best option in terms of low/no fees. Thoughts?

Db

UncleEbenezer
The full Lemon

Re: Moving certificated VCTs to broker - best broker?

Postby UncleEbenezer » February 26th, 2020, 12:08 pm

Mine are with HL. Some have been there several years, all of them since last year when I planned a journey to change trains at Temple Meads and hand-delivered a package of certificates and forms (and found a street-food lunch a bit more interesting than I'd've got on the train).

If you're happy to hold them in a nominee account, there's no downside. HL do the job and make life that little bit easier, all at no charge.

If you want to exercise shareholder rights such as voting your shares, they'll do that on request. They'll actively notify you of corporate actions, but for routine business such as shareholder meetings it's up to you to keep an eye on RNSs to know what's going on. I use Investegate for that.

[edit to add] My main motivation for transferring the big bundle was precisely to avoid having to tell registrars - particularly Crapita/Link - about my house move. Along with the tax/residency declarations they started asking for. And making it easier to sell them - though sadly H-L are not so cheap for that.

barchid
Lemon Slice

Postby barchid » February 26th, 2020, 12:17 pm

Onslow
What U.E. says is absolutely correct but if you wish to sell them at any point you will find, I believe, that Jarvis are considerably cheaper at £5.95 a trade with their X-O account.
So it is really "horses for courses"
Hope this helps

farnbrofool

Postby farnbrofool » February 26th, 2020, 2:52 pm

I moved my 6 certified VCTs to II recently. Can't comment on trading them but the transfer went very smoothly and the VCT dividends are paid to my bank account within 2/3 days. II claim to take account of the tax exempt status of VCTs when creating the tax return.

onslow
2 Lemon pips

Postby onslow » February 26th, 2020, 3:18 pm

Thank you all for your replies

I already have a SIPP with II, and a lifetime ISA with HL - I'll reach out to both and see what offers they have to entice me to move across - in the past both brokers have offered ££ to move across accounts although I think its historically been targeted at moving investments across from other brokers rather than from certificated form

Will report back.

DB

127tolmers
Lemon Slice

Postby 127tolmers » February 26th, 2020, 8:54 pm

i have found AJ Bell to be very user friendly and easy to deal from

Return to “Venture Capital Trusts (VCT's)”