Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to Wasron,jfgw,Rhyd6,eyeball08,Wondergirly, for Donating to support the site

SEIS - Wealth Club - Start Up Funding Club

Sophisticated and complex high-risk tax-sensitive investments in small companies: handle with care
flyer61
Lemon Slice

SEIS - Wealth Club - Start Up Funding Club

Postby flyer61 » March 11th, 2020, 5:22 pm

Has anyone subscribed to this offer? If you have, what made you go for this SEIS? If you binned it from consideration what made you decide that?

Have never invested in SEIS before but thought it might be something to sit beside my VCT portfolio.

The 50% income tax relief is wagging the tail somewhat...

sinterklaas
2 Lemon pips

Re: SEIS - Wealth Club - Start Up Funding Club

Postby sinterklaas » March 12th, 2020, 10:39 am

By all means let the tax tail wag the SEIS dog – if you are relaxed about the risk of losing the other 50%!

But Startup Funding Club is a good operator IMHO. They diversify individual portfolios quite widely, they are not tech only or life science only, they have a short but promising track record. Have not invested my own funds, but have looked at this and would consider it top of the pile if tax situation steers that way.

Slightly off topic for VCTs of course… Do we need an ‘Unquoted / EIS and SEIS’ board?

ukfire

Postby ukfire » March 12th, 2020, 12:16 pm

There's also the Sustainable Accelerator funds through Seedrs. Incubator setup with the fund on top so looks similar. Much lower minimum investment (£100) but carry on each investment. It's an EIS/SEIS fund. I put a bit in the last one but no investments completed yet. They seem to go for tech companies with clear IP. Investing through these types of funds looks way better than picking companies individually.

Only SEIS investment I've done was a Crowdcube brewery failure. Stuck to EIS companies ever since.

And yes, we should have an EIS/SEIS/Crowdfunding board.

UncleEbenezer
The full Lemon

Postby UncleEbenezer » March 12th, 2020, 1:10 pm

I've made a couple of very small SEIS investments - alongside a greater number of plain EIS - through crowdfunding. I treat those as a bit of a flutter, just as others might for example have a flutter on the horses.

Two I definitely recollect as SEIS: one bust, the other doing very nicely - I've already top-sliced for more than my initial investment.

The only circumstances I could envisage a more substantial SEIS investment is if it was closer to home, and came to me on a grapevine rather than a general public platform.

Return to “Venture Capital Trusts (VCT's)”