Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to Rhyd6,eyeball08,Wondergirly,bofh,johnstevens77, for Donating to support the site

Less-than-timely shareholder information

Sophisticated and complex high-risk tax-sensitive investments in small companies: handle with care
UncleEbenezer
The full Lemon

Less-than-timely shareholder information

Postby UncleEbenezer » January 4th, 2022, 5:13 pm

Once upon a time, shareholder information arrived on paper. Often large and glossy. Naturally one expects that to take a while to produce and distribute.

Today I have email from Draper Esprit, though the registrars. Email 'cos I elected not to receive paper, and the investment is more recent than my transfer of all my then-holdings to a nominee account. Notifying me the half-year report to September 30th is now available and giving me a URL for it. Pleased to note the URL in the email is an honest one, not some tracking link!

All very well, except that I read[1] the report in question more than three weeks ago. The RNS was on December 13th. Why does the email take so much longer?

[1] FSVO read.

yorkshirelad1
Lemon Slice

Re: Less-than-timely shareholder information

Postby yorkshirelad1 » January 5th, 2022, 10:17 am

UncleEbenezer wrote:Once upon a time, shareholder information arrived on paper. Often large and glossy. Naturally one expects that to take a while to produce and distribute.

Today I have email from Draper Esprit, though the registrars. Email 'cos I elected not to receive paper, and the investment is more recent than my transfer of all my then-holdings to a nominee account. Notifying me the half-year report to September 30th is now available and giving me a URL for it. Pleased to note the URL in the email is an honest one, not some tracking link!

All very well, except that I read[1] the report in question more than three weeks ago. The RNS was on December 13th. Why does the email take so much longer?

[1] FSVO read.

My take on it is that
  • the results appear on the RNS on the day
  • the glossy report takes a little while to produce, and when ready (usually a couple of weeks later), is sent (usually on the same day but arrive at different times) by email and snail-mail (depending on election etc).
  • some companies still send tax vouchers by snail-mail but send reports via e-mail. Some communications can only be sent by snail-mail.

YMMV. It also depends whether you're a nominee or direct shareholder; information rights are very flaky.

Return to “Venture Capital Trusts (VCT's)”