Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to eyeball08,Wondergirly,bofh,johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva, for Donating to support the site

Bonanza!

Sophisticated and complex high-risk tax-sensitive investments in small companies: handle with care
UncleEbenezer
The full Lemon

Bonanza!

Postby UncleEbenezer » June 10th, 2022, 6:06 pm

Unicorn AIM report out today. Not a good year - we've made a loss and underperformed the index - but a bumper divi to be paid in August. 32p special on top of the regular 3p interim divi.

That's down to the profits of the sale of Interactive Investor to Aberdeen. Some of the proceeds count as VCT-eligible, others aren't, and have to be returned to investors. Turning August into the second big bumper month of the year, after January's Ventus payouts.

scotia
Lemon Quarter

Re: Bonanza!

Postby scotia » June 10th, 2022, 10:46 pm

UncleEbenezer wrote:Unicorn AIM report out today. Not a good year - we've made a loss and underperformed the index - but a bumper divi to be paid in August. 32p special on top of the regular 3p interim divi.

That's down to the profits of the sale of Interactive Investor to Aberdeen. Some of the proceeds count as VCT-eligible, others aren't, and have to be returned to investors. Turning August into the second big bumper month of the year, after January's Ventus payouts.

Its doubly attractive, since we are receiving the full monetary value, rather than the loss of approximately 18% of NAV when selling the shares.
(latest declared NAV at 30th April 193.4p, today's selling price 158p)

barchid
Lemon Slice

Postby barchid » June 11th, 2022, 11:15 am

Uncle/Scotia
Absolutely agree and what to my mind is also very interesting is that they are proposing a new fund raise in September.
Now I am certainly not alone in thinking that it is a better entry point to reinvest after the nav has dropped 17% rather than after it has increased 17%.
I have held/recycled these for over 10 years & have been impressed with the smoothness that they achieved with the takeover of management from Giles Hargreaves by his previous assistant/colleague.
They also have an enormously helpful admin lady who always assists when needed

cprof
Lemon Pip

Postby cprof » June 11th, 2022, 11:30 am

Bonanza indeed, for me after Ven and Unicorn there is also the announcement of the liquidation of Puma 12 with a 40p payout per share at the end of this month. The only possible negative is that it is Begbies Traynor doing the liquidation ( search in ventus and Core threads).

I intend doing DRIS on Unicorn, should share price discount to NAV put me off? I intend to hold and take income for many years.

sinterklaas
2 Lemon pips

Postby sinterklaas » June 13th, 2022, 11:06 am

barchid wrote:Uncle/Scotia
Absolutely agree and what to my mind is also very interesting is that they are proposing a new fund raise in September.
Now I am certainly not alone in thinking that it is a better entry point to reinvest after the nav has dropped 17% rather than after it has increased 17%.
I have held/recycled these for over 10 years & have been impressed with the smoothness that they achieved with the takeover of management from Giles Hargreaves by his previous assistant/colleague.
They also have an enormously helpful admin lady who always assists when needed

Are you getting this mixed up with Hargreave Hale? UncleE’s thread is about Unicorn

EarnestHummingbird

Postby EarnestHummingbird » June 13th, 2022, 12:09 pm

An amazing dividend that's true.
I almost felt like celebrating until I checked my records and my Unicorn holding was sold off in February at 194p per share.
Current share price is much below that (much like a few other VCTs like Octopus AIM and the like)

On Unicorn, I'd invest again (once the 6 months are up) they seem like a well run firm

barchid
Lemon Slice

Postby barchid » June 14th, 2022, 8:55 am

Sinter
Thanks for pointing this out but I was in Italy last week & posted it on my phone, never a great idea, seemingly the first para was missing in which I said, rather like Earnest, that I was disillusioned by the lack of buy back programme giving rise to a perpetually large discount. As my 5 years are nearly up I said I hoped to sell them if they had a new offer this year (discount magically reduces during their offers) & reinvest the divi & the hoped for sale into HHV.

Return to “Venture Capital Trusts (VCT's)”