Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to Moosehoosenew,Blatter,genou,88V8,kiloran, for Donating to support the site

SharePad vs Stockopedia

Discussions regarding financial software
joey
Lemon Pip

SharePad vs Stockopedia

Postby joey » April 23rd, 2021, 11:07 am

Greetings Fools,

Does anyone use SharePad or Stockopedia, or perhaps both? I have been a user of SharePad for the past c.12 months with renewal coming up on 01/06. The cost is about £300/year. I am considering other options as I think the cost is probably too much to justify for the feature set I use.

My main use case is for portfolio management rather than stock screening. I have four brokers with various general accounts, ISAs, LISA and SIPPs. What's nice about SharePad is that the portfolios can be aggregated into various configurations so I can have a view for e.g. taxable vs non-taxable, regardless of which broker the positions reside with. Obviously it can all be aggregated into one portfolio too.

Stockopedia looks to be priced at £245 for the year although it is extra for access to data from other different countries. That's not a problem for me though. I also notice there are various coupons/vouchers that are floating around the net for anywhere up to c.40% discount which I'd look to use.

Does anyone have an opinion on Stockopedia they'd like to share?

absolutezero
Lemon Slice

Re: SharePad vs Stockopedia

Postby absolutezero » April 23rd, 2021, 12:48 pm

I use it.
I keep renewing my subscription.
Let's say that its screener has paid for itself many times over.

joey
Lemon Pip

Postby joey » April 23rd, 2021, 2:09 pm

Thanks absolutezero. Do you know if you are able to group portfolios in the manner that I describe as per SharePad?

Midsmartin
Lemon Slice

Postby Midsmartin » April 23rd, 2021, 2:36 pm

I use Sharescope for my portfolios. It's the locally installed equivelant of Sharepad I suppose. It's about £300 pa with end of day data. I have portfolios for myself, my wife, ISAs, and outside ISAs. They combine into multi-portfolios showing all our investments, just mine, just our ISAs etc. Cash accounts are associated with each account, if only I kept them up to date. At the end of the year it tells you what your taxable capital gains are. Lovely. Plus I can view all the usual fundamental data, news and charts about my holdings. Want to visit a company's website? Just press ctrl-W in Sharescope & their page opens in my browser. Simple! I can redesign tables to display whatever I like. or export data to Excel at a click if I wish.

Stockopedia is probably better for filtering and finding stocks, but I like to keep Sharescope too. In part because of the hassle of migrating my portfolio data, because the others don't calculate CGT for me, and when I want to scan through fundamental data for things, it's much quicker than doing it on the web with all the waiting time that often entails.

Stockopedia has quite a nice phone app as well.

absolutezero
Lemon Slice

Postby absolutezero » April 23rd, 2021, 8:29 pm

joey wrote:Thanks absolutezero. Do you know if you are able to group portfolios in the manner that I describe as per SharePad?

I'm not sure what you mean.
But in my Stockopedia, I have 3 portfolios.
HYP
ISA
Play

The ISA shares are also in the HYP (along with some others) but I have set them up as 3 separate portfolios.

Laughton
Lemon Slice

Postby Laughton » April 23rd, 2021, 9:56 pm

I'm a Stockopedia subscriber and have been for quite a few years now.
If I understand the OP then no, it won't do what you want.

Screening is what it is good at - and the discussion pages. There are a lot of wise heads on there who are worth taking note of.

I would have thought that for what you want to do then Excel would be perfect - and won't cost you anything.

I'm pretty sure that you can take out a free trial subscription - so don't take my word for it why not do that and try to make it do what you want.

Hypster
2 Lemon pips

Postby Hypster » April 24th, 2021, 7:06 am

I am a Stockopedia subscriber currently, having moved over from SharePad.

I used to group portfolios in SharePad like you do. You can’t do that in Stockopedia.

For me, the main feature I like about Stocko is the StockReport: a ‘Company REFS’-style one-pager. Other great features are the screening tools and articles/blog posts.

I feel SharePad has the edge over the data and accounts. I could do a lot more custom analysis of the accounts such as creating my own metrics. Stockopedia’s data reports are fixed. However, since I moved over I find the StockReport gives me all I need.

I will be renewing my Stockopedia subscription when the time comes.

doug2500
Lemon Slice

Postby doug2500 » April 24th, 2021, 1:36 pm

I'm not sure if this would work or not but.....

Could you download your portfolios from stockopedia, amalgamate them in excel and then import them as one?

I've had a quick look and can't see how to import but you could on the old site?

joey
Lemon Pip

Postby joey » April 29th, 2021, 10:14 am

Thanks to all who commented.

I am intending to use their 14-day free trial period to see what it’s like. I’ll fire that up a bit near to 01/06. However, it does sound like SharePad will win out as they appear to have a more sophisticated portfolio capability.

doug2500 wrote:I'm not sure if this would work or not but.....

Could you download your portfolios from stockopedia, amalgamate them in excel and then import them as one?

I've had a quick look and can't see how to import but you could on the old site?

Yep I’ve done that a few times when consolidating accounts due to switching brokers etc. I’ve seen on their YouTube videos that Stockopedia has a CSV import facility so I’ll be doing that when I start the trial.

Joey

Newroad
Lemon Slice

Postby Newroad » May 2nd, 2021, 8:20 pm

Hi All.

In a similar vein, has anybody tried Stockcharts: https://stockcharts.com/ (or TradingView: https://uk.tradingview.com/, which I understand to be its most natural competitor)?

I have considered subscribing to Stockcharts - their free offering already has already proved very useful (some basic charting kept me from switching IT's when I otherwise was of a mind to). However, my needs are modest and the combination of their free offering* and what I can get out of II currently** seems more or less is enough for me. However, if their Portfolio Management functionality were decent, I might be further tempted.

When the time is right (which, for unrelated reasons, is early June for me) I might try the free month anyway!

Regards, Newroad

* the charting, in particular the RRG Relative Strength indicator

** critically, X-Ray functionality

yorkshirelad1
Lemon Slice

Postby yorkshirelad1 » May 3rd, 2021, 10:42 am

Thank you for starting this thread. It's very useful. I currently have none of these providers but an seriously thinking of subscribing to one of these services, so I am reading all the comments with interest.

Armorduck

Postby Armorduck » May 3rd, 2021, 9:10 pm

I've been using Stockopedia since 2013 but I intend to let my subscription lapse at the end of the year. Some of the things I used to use (screens) I very rarely use now. The discussion page can be useful/interesting. The stock summaries are very useful too. As others have said it is not very good for tracking portfolios. I use Excel and more recently Google sheets. Stockopedia educated me quite a but, but now I feel I know which metrics I'm most interested in, and want to give Sharepad a try as a comparison. Stockopedia irritated me by teasing with improvements that were in line to be offered, even in 2013, but never materialised e.g. measuring total return including dividends.

jaizan
2 Lemon pips

Postby jaizan » May 13th, 2021, 10:10 pm

joey wrote:My main use case is for portfolio management rather than stock screening. I have four brokers with various general accounts, ISAs, LISA and SIPPs. What's nice about SharePad is that the portfolios can be aggregated into various configurations so I can have a view for e.g. taxable vs non-taxable, regardless of which broker the positions reside with. Obviously it can all be aggregated into one portfolio too.

I use Sharepad and Stockopedia, but the Stockopedia subscription will not be renewed this year. Sharepad has so much more functionality and the site is faster.

However, like you I need to keep track of multiple accounts -6 in the UK and one overseas. For this I use a Google sheet, which gets me live stock prices and can be configured to do whatever I need. Free of charge.

joey
Lemon Pip

Postby joey » June 2nd, 2021, 2:58 pm

I’ve ended up letting the SharePad subscription lapse, and I haven’t bothered with Stockopedia. For two reasons: (1) I am not currently adding more money into the market, except for my SIPP, and the decisions there are already made (amounts, what instruments, etc) and (b) maybe I was looking at my portfolio too much anyway!

I have two stocks that require me to keep a sharper-than-average eye on them. I can do (and do) that via mechanisms other than SharePad.

Once I return to adding more money regularly then I’ll likely revive the SharePad account.

Return to “Financial Software - Discussion”