Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva,scotia,Anonymous,Cornytiv34, for Donating to support the site

FT Portfolios

Discussions regarding financial software
BobGe
Lemon Slice

FT Portfolios

Postby BobGe » December 1st, 2021, 3:48 pm

Well yesterday I updated my FT portfolios with a few transactions. The FT browser tabs remained open since. Today I find no portfolio data showing. I note I am logged out of FT, although the 'keep me logged-in' box was checked and I'd been continuously logged in for a good while - I usually keep FT browser pages open all the time. I try to log-in and the FT system rejects it. (I have a registration, not a subscription a/c.)

I open a web-chat with FT. I am told that the account has been deleted. FT say it shows as inactive since early July. They say that when an account is deleted all Portfolio data is also deleted.

I know I was logged in and the a/c was active yesterday. They say their systems show deletion around midnight. They are investigating.

BobGe
Lemon Slice

Re: FT Portfolios

Postby BobGe » December 7th, 2021, 7:18 pm

An update:

Original contact took place with FT via webchat.
When originally reported was told that they had opened a case (a ticket), but didn't give me a reference, and said they would update via email. (Webchat failed with system error message "We are very sorry for the inconvenience, our chat service is currently experiencing technical problems" so I couldn't pull a transcript.)

Chased a day or two later via webchat and the chap said he could see the ticket on the system. He didn't want to open a second as it would cause confusion. I asked him to follow it up which he said he would.

As no email forthcoming chased again via webchat. The chap said he couldn't see any ticket. So we went over the matter again. He raised a new ticket and this time gave me the reference. Again I'm promised email update in 24-48 hours.
(Webchat again failed with error message so, again, no transcript. I have a feeling this 'fail' could be happening either by a time-out or them pulling the plug at their end as it was now well past 6.00pm and the chat had probably been open around an hour.)

I am not sure if FT webchat (or their customer services in general) is sub'd out to a third party service provider but I suspect it might be. Anyone know?

FT said their systems are set to automatically delete unused accounts in compliance with GDPR. (General Data Protection Regulation) They say that 'the system' sends an email advice before this happens. I had not received one.

I was wondering if it would be possible to re-register with FT using the same email and password and thus re-establish the link to portfolios, but I've a feeling the system would block that. I haven't tried in the hope that perhaps their IT people can resurrect accounts? It's also not clear who is holding the portfolio data, FT or Refinitiv. (It's written "Powered by Refinitiv" on the portfolios page.)

I'd chosen to use FT portfolios (after Digital Look data vanished) because I'd assumed that FT would be dependable and robust.
The upshot is a) I'm somewhat vexed, b) it seems, perhaps, that the original ticket may have been 'ripped up', c) there is doubt over the integrity of FT and it's systems.

Breelander
Lemon Quarter

Postby Breelander » December 8th, 2021, 12:30 am

BobGe wrote:I'd chosen to use FT portfolios (after Digital Look data vanished) because I'd assumed that FT would be dependable and robust.
The upshot is a) I'm somewhat vexed, b) it seems, perhaps, that the original ticket may have been 'ripped up', c) there is doubt over the integrity of FT and it's systems.

Your problem with FT seems to revolve entirely around you not being able to receive emails from FT. That may be a problem at your end or with your email provider, and not something that's in the control of FT themselves. Mine is totally reliable and I get all their emails, including those for the support tickets.

I too run both a DL and FT portfolio. The rumours of Digital Look's demise have been greatly exaggerated. I still can log in to mine here:

http://finance.digitallook.com/

Click the login button at the top right and use your old DL account name and password. When signed in click Portfolio on the blue bar across the top.

BobGe
Lemon Slice

Postby BobGe » December 8th, 2021, 2:46 am

Breelander wrote:Your problem with FT seems to revolve entirely around you not being able to receive emails from FT. That may be a problem at your end or with your email provider, and not something that's in the control of FT themselves. Mine is totally reliable and I get all their emails, including those for the support tickets.

I too run both a DL and FT portfolio. The rumours of Digital Look's demise have been greatly exaggerated. I still can log in to mine

Bree, no, that is not the case. As I mentioned in my opening post, the FT account was in constant use. I had both made portfolio entries and posted a comment on eve of the incident. That is not possible without being logged in. There is no way the system should delete the a/c due to inactivity! I was actually logged in with two browser windows open at the time FT Customer Services said deletion occurred. There is no reason why I should not receive emails from FT. In fact I've conversed with them earlier this year by email on other matters.

Yes, I'm aware of DL thank you. We chatted about this previously on another thread. viewtopic.php?f=27&t=9424
DL is, however, very flaky and since reinstatment earlier this year will log a user out randomly and sometimes at very short intervals. There is zero guarantee that it won't be switched off at any time and perhaps permanently. Web Financial stated that they were no longer supporting the old DL site and portfolios around three years ago.

Breelander
Lemon Quarter

Postby Breelander » December 8th, 2021, 4:30 am

BobGe wrote:Bree, no, that is not the case. As I mentioned in my opening post, the FT account was in constant use. I had both made portfolio entries and posted a comment on eve of the incident. That is not possible without being logged in. There is no way the system should delete the a/c due to inactivity! I was actually logged in with two browser windows open at the time FT Customer Services said deletion occurred. There is no reason why I should not receive emails from FT. In fact I've conversed with them earlier this year by email on other matters.

Chatting to FT and automatic emails from you portfolio are two different things. The first is initiated by you and replied to by a person at the other end, and would use the email address from your initial post. The second is initiated by software and uses the address on record in your account, it is that which I suspect may be corrupt/invalid. Bounced emails sent to your registered address would be used as an indicator of an inactive account, and that could have triggered the deletion.

Sign in to FT. Click on 'Settings & Account' just below myFT at the top right. Edit your email address, retype it and save it. It may say 'The email address you are trying to save already matches your current email address', if not then you know that whatever it previously had stored as an email address was not what you thought it should be.

You can also change it to use a new email address here if you like, or even change it once, then back again to the original one. That should generate a few automatic emails and show that it's working properly.

BobGe
Lemon Slice

Postby BobGe » December 8th, 2021, 4:06 pm

Breelander wrote:Chatting to FT and automatic emails from you portfolio are two different things. The first is initiated by you and replied to by a person at the other end, and would use the email address from your initial post. The second is initiated by software and uses the address on record in your account, it is that which I suspect may be corrupt/invalid. Bounced emails sent to your registered address would be used as an indicator of an inactive account, and that could have triggered the deletion.

Firstly the email addresses are one and the same, secondly FT intitiated the earlier email conversation by emailing me. I am perfectly comfortable that the email address that was / is on the system was / is correct - insofar as it is my email address, it is typed correctly and my email facilities are functioning normally.
Sign in to FT. Click on 'Settings & Account' just below myFT at the top right. Edit your email address, retype it and save it. It may say 'The email address you are trying to save already matches your current email address', if not then you know that whatever it previously had stored as an email address was not what you thought it should be.

As I said in my opening post I cannot now log-in to FT. Parts of FT's systems do recognise my email (but report they can't access my records or words to that effect), as do FT Customer Services.
You can also change it to use a new email address here if you like, or even change it once, then back again to the original one. That should generate a few automatic emails and show that it's working properly.

I can't change the email address as I can't log-in. Again, per my opening post, FT CS say that the FT's systems deleted the account overnight between 1st and 2nd December.

FT CS advised that FT's systems deleted what was an active account due to inactivity. They did not say FT's systems sent an email, the web-chat operative only said that she believed that FT's systems should have sent an email.

BobGe
Lemon Slice

Postby BobGe » December 8th, 2021, 4:29 pm

Correction to previous post:

Should read: ...FT CS say that the FT's systems deleted the account overnight between 30th Nov. and 1st Dec. (not "between 1st and 2nd December.")

Return to “Financial Software - Discussion”