Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to Anonymous,bruncher,niord,gvonge,Shelford, for Donating to support the site

Digital Look problem

Discussions regarding financial software
eyeball08
Lemon Pip

Digital Look problem

Postby eyeball08 » June 21st, 2017, 8:37 pm

Not sure if this is the right place to ask but is anybody else having problems viewing their portfolio on DL?
I have old laptop with Windows 10 and Firefox as browser.

kiloran
Lemon Quarter

Re: Digital Look problem

Postby kiloran » June 21st, 2017, 8:45 pm

eyeball08 wrote:Not sure if this is the right place to ask but is anybody else having problems viewing their portfolio on DL?
I have old laptop with Windows 10 and Firefox as browser.

I don't normally use Digital Look for a portfolio, but I set one up years ago to play with, so I just logged in and it works OK.
But slow. VERY slow.

Windows 7 and Chrome

--kiloran

Breelander
Lemon Quarter

Postby Breelander » June 21st, 2017, 9:26 pm

eyeball08 wrote:....is anybody else having problems viewing their portfolio on DL?

I use mine all the time, I've got it open now in another tab. My daily routine is to log in and look at the 'News' tab for all the RNSs for my shares. With my portfolio spread over several brokers plus some certificates it's the only was to see it all at once.

Mostly (and at present) there's no problem. Occasionally the server is over-worked and returns an Error:200, a string of text and a message that 'the page has been moved here...' (but hasn't). A 'Refresh' loads the page correctly. Been a month since I last saw that...

spiderbill
Lemon Slice

Postby spiderbill » June 22nd, 2017, 12:34 am

Just checked for the first time in ages and it's treacle slow. Took about 2 minutes to log in and get it to display.

However I have noticed in the last few days that even many of their normal share pages are often missing the graphs completely or have data only up to last Friday. So something is clearly going on.

Breelander
Lemon Quarter

Postby Breelander » June 22nd, 2017, 1:04 am

spiderbill wrote:Just checked for the first time in ages and it's treacle slow. Took about 2 minutes to log in and get it to display.

Not my experience. I have a bookmark for my portfolio - just now, from clicking the bookmark to displaying the portfolio took 15 seconds, and that included entering the password.

Mind you, it is probably helped by being opened in IE where I have DL set to be in the Restricted Zone (basically no javascript allowed). It takes 50 seconds to open the same link in Firefox where I let the scripts run. There's little functionality lost with no javascript, just the tickertape across the top is missing.

Phileasrob
Lemon Pip

Postby Phileasrob » June 22nd, 2017, 8:06 am

It has also been slow for me too using Windows 7. Can anyone recommend somewhere else to store their portfolio?

PR

eyeball08
Lemon Pip

Postby eyeball08 » June 22nd, 2017, 11:11 am

Thanks for the replies guys. It's still the same for me. I also have Adblocker on, which previously made it faster. I currently can't get to my actual portfolio even if I wander off and leave it a while. Been using it since about 2008 to check quite regularly with "everything in one place" which includes some certificates, Investment Trusts and shares in two ISAs.
Can see it all on the HYPTUSS of course, but have to update it each time instead of just a quick look.
I might try joining DL as a new user and starting again.
When I first switched to Firefox it was flashingly quick, but I suppose as they continually add new bells and whistles it gradually clogs up.

mrbrightside
2 Lemon pips

Postby mrbrightside » June 22nd, 2017, 11:13 am

Phileasrob wrote:It has also been slow for me too using Windows 7. Can anyone recommend somewhere else to store their portfolio?

I've used Yahoo, Digital Look, Google Finance and settled on the FT.com (supports funds and ETF's).

alterego

Postby alterego » June 22nd, 2017, 1:31 pm

DL has been "iffy"for months, frequently displaying indecipherable gobbledegook rather than a page I can read. The last couple of days it just hangs and doesn't show my portfolio no matter how long I leave it.

I'm using Safari on a Mac.

My alternative is a watch list on Hargreaves Lansdown. This replicates my portfolio but offers me live prices too.

Breelander
Lemon Quarter

Postby Breelander » June 22nd, 2017, 1:40 pm

mrbrightside wrote:
Phileasrob wrote:It has also been slow for me too using Windows 7. Can anyone recommend somewhere else to store their portfolio?

I've used Yahoo, Digital Look, Google Finance and settled on the FT.com (supports funds and ETF's).

There was a long discussion on this in 'the old place' when Moneyextra closed their portfolio service....
https://web.archive.org/web/20161122014 ... sort=whole
... I did some comparisons back then and ended up opening an FT portfolio to run alongside my DL one. Apart from those already suggested, Morningstar looked like another good one to try.
http://www.morningstar.co.uk/uk/portfol ... folio.aspx

eyeball08
Lemon Pip

Postby eyeball08 » June 22nd, 2017, 4:28 pm

Thanks to Bree and others. I can make it work if I leave it alone for at least 5 minutes. (Maybe my 2011 laptop is getting too slow.)
I'll certainly have a try with ft.com instead.
With recent politics etc etc I've got into the bad habit of checking values every day, sometimes more than once. Mr PYAD has in the past strongly advised against! (i.e. for HYP purposes.......)

spiderbill
Lemon Slice

Postby spiderbill » June 23rd, 2017, 12:19 am

Not ones to be left out, Yahoo have currently "lost" my various portfolios.

Thank heavens for HYPTUS!

alterego

Postby alterego » June 23rd, 2017, 10:24 am

DL working well this morning. Like greased lightning!

eyeball08
Lemon Pip

Postby eyeball08 » June 23rd, 2017, 3:29 pm

Well it is working fast with me too now. Perhaps there was some maintenance or upgrading going on.
I now have ft.com portfolio as a back-up.

Phileasrob
Lemon Pip

Postby Phileasrob » June 26th, 2017, 8:20 am

Breelander wrote:
mrbrightside wrote:

There was a long discussion on this in 'the old place' when Moneyextra closed their portfolio service....
https://web.archive.org/web/20161122014 ... sort=whole
... I did some comparisons back then and ended up opening an FT portfolio to run alongside my DL one. Apart from those already suggested, Morningstar looked like another good one to try.
http://www.morningstar.co.uk/uk/portfol ... folio.aspx

Thanks Mr B & Bree - will take a look. I have to do something when I'm at work. ;)

PR

Return to “Financial Software - Discussion”