Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva,scotia,Anonymous,Cornytiv34, for Donating to support the site

HYPTUSS Chart Query

Discussions regarding financial software
staffordian
Lemon Quarter

HYPTUSS Chart Query

Postby staffordian » November 29th, 2016, 8:44 pm

I've been meaning to ask this for a while.

With older versions of this spreadsheet (not sure which version, but I'm talking probably a year or so ago) when I selected a share then clicked on the Chart button, I got a chart.

Now, when I do the same, the "empty" chart window comes up, but I then get a couple of dialogue boxes as shown below...

http://imgur.com/lKVaIKB

Clicking cancel clears the dialogue box but leaves the empty chart window with a message "Navigation to the webpage was cancelled". Selecting a range window to the left of the chart window then brings up the chart.

Is this behaviour normal, or is it likely to be something to do with one of my browser or spreadsheet settings?

This is the Windows version, by the way and my default browser is Chrome, if that makes any difference.

Thanks for any insight!

Staffordian

kiloran
Lemon Quarter

Re: HYPTUSS Chart Query

Postby kiloran » November 30th, 2016, 10:39 am

I can't reproduce this problem, Staff. I'm using Windows7 and Excel 2010, with Chrome, though I don't think the browser should not have any effect on the chart function.
  1. Do you see this problem with a freshly downloaded, unchanged version of the HYPTUSS version 11.21?
  2. Try downloading item 3 from: http://lemonfoolfinancialsoftware.weebl ... -page.html
    This is the HYPTUSS from Dec 2014. Does this work? I don't think we've made any changes to the chart function since its release

--kiloran

spiderbill
Lemon Slice

Postby spiderbill » November 30th, 2016, 11:34 am

Hi Staffordian

I ran into that problem with Firefox about 6 months ago and eventually traced it to my anti-tracking cookie program (Privacy Badger). The charts came from a different address (essentially a CDN - Content Delivery Network) than the main data and it was blocking that address completely rather than just blocking the cookie. Adjusting the level of protection on that address solved the problem. Do you use anything similar?

cheers

Spiderbill

staffordian
Lemon Quarter

Postby staffordian » November 30th, 2016, 3:29 pm

kiloran wrote:I can't reproduce this problem, Staff. I'm using Windows7 and Excel 2010, with Chrome, though I don't think the browser should not have any effect on the chart function.
  1. Do you see this problem with a freshly downloaded, unchanged version of the HYPTUSS version 11.21?
  2. Try downloading item 3 from: http://lemonfoolfinancialsoftware.weebl ... -page.html
    This is the HYPTUSS from Dec 2014. Does this work? I don't think we've made any changes to the chart function since its release

--kiloran

Thanks for the reply kiloran. I'm on my tablet at the moment but will do as you suggest this evening. The version I'm using is the very latest, though with a few worksheets to it, but I've not touched any of the vb coding.

Staffordian

staffordian
Lemon Quarter

Postby staffordian » November 30th, 2016, 3:31 pm

spiderbill wrote:Hi Staffordian

I ran into that problem with Firefox about 6 months ago and eventually traced it to my anti-tracking cookie program (Privacy Badger). The charts came from a different address (essentially a CDN - Content Delivery Network) than the main data and it was blocking that address completely rather than just blocking the cookie. Adjusting the level of protection on that address solved the problem. Do you use anything similar?

cheers

Spiderbill

Thanks for the suggestion. All I'm using is an ad blocker with Chrome. It might be worth my while disabling that to see if it makes a difference.

Staffordian

kiloran
Lemon Quarter

Postby kiloran » November 30th, 2016, 3:40 pm

staffordian wrote:Thanks for the suggestion. All I'm using is an ad blocker with Chrome. It might be worth my while disabling that to see if it makes a difference.
Staffordian

I'm using Adblock Plus with my Chrome, without problem

--kiloran

staffordian
Lemon Quarter

Postby staffordian » November 30th, 2016, 4:49 pm

kiloran wrote:
staffordian wrote:Thanks for the suggestion. All I'm using is an ad blocker with Chrome. It might be worth my while disabling that to see if it makes a difference.
Staffordian

I'm using Adblock Plus with my Chrome, without problem

--kiloran

Ok, thanks, looks like I can cross that off the list.

I'll work through things methodically tonight and see what I can eliminate or find.

Thanks again,

Staffordian

staffordian
Lemon Quarter

Postby staffordian » November 30th, 2016, 7:21 pm

kiloran wrote:I can't reproduce this problem, Staff. I'm using Windows7 and Excel 2010, with Chrome, though I don't think the browser should not have any effect on the chart function.

--kiloran

Hi kiloran,

Right, I've fired up the laptop and done a bit of experimentation.

I do see this problem with a fresh unchanged copy of 11.21

I also see it with the Dec 2014 version.

Interestingly, I dug out an old file I've not updated from 2013, which used to work properly and it now exhibits this same problem, so it's clearly(?) a specific Excel setting I have or a program on my laptop which is messing things up; though as it's more or less only me with this problem, that was always pretty likely to be the case anyway.

The only thing which might be different is that the issue never occurred on my old laptop which used W7 and Excel 2007 but I think it has always done it with my current (from 2014) Acer which has had W8,10 and currently the anniversary update version of 10, but still using Excel 2007. However as far as I'm aware, there is nothing fancy running on it which might affect things - unless anyone knows different?

Thanks,

Staffordian

Itsallaguess
Lemon Half

Postby Itsallaguess » December 1st, 2016, 8:56 pm

Sorry to hear that you're having this issue Staffordian. We've not had any problems generally with the Yahoo chart side of things, so it does sound like it's a quirk local to your set-up, which might prove difficult to diagnose to be honest.

Out of interest, what happens in your Chrome browser when you select this link :-

https://chart.finance.yahoo.com/z?s=VOD ... &region=GB

That's the link for the 6-month VOD chart that''ll be loaded as part of the Excel function that you're having issues with, so I'd be interested to hear what happens if you try to load that into your default browser, presuming that's Chrome?

Cheers,

Itsallaguess

staffordian
Lemon Quarter

Postby staffordian » December 1st, 2016, 10:25 pm

Itsallaguess wrote:Sorry to hear that you're having this issue Staffordian. We've not had any problems generally with the Yahoo chart side of things, so it does sound like it's a quirk local to your set-up, which might prove difficult to diagnose to be honest.

Out of interest, what happens in your Chrome browser when you select this link :-

https://chart.finance.yahoo.com/z?s=VOD ... &region=GB

That's the link for the 6-month VOD chart that''ll be loaded as part of the Excel function that you're having issues with, so I'd be interested to hear what happens if you try to load that into your default browser, presuming that's Chrome?

Cheers,

Itsallaguess

Thanks for your interest Itsallaguess.

Clicking the link in your post does what clicking the button in the HYPTUSS used to do; i.e. it immediately brings up the chart (in the browser, of course), without any dialogue boxes asking what I want to do with the file.

Not sure if that helps or hinders!

Please don't spend (waste?!) any time on this; I get the charts, albeit with a couple of extra clicks, and it's clearly not an issue with the spreadsheet as such.

I'm content that this issue is "on record" in case anyone else experiences it, and perhaps they will find and post an answer.

Spiderbill had a similar problem which he resolved; maybe others might find something else which causes it.

All the best,

Staffordian

Itsallaguess
Lemon Half

Postby Itsallaguess » December 3rd, 2016, 11:51 am

Hi Staffordian,

Yes, it's a little strange, almost like the chart looks to be requested for download initially rather than simply viewing in the Excel form web-browser area.

If it wouldn't take you long, I'd be interested to see if changing your default browser altered the behaviour you're seeing? I just wonder if this is a Chrome issue, or even a Chrome 'setting' issue, and I hoped that temporarily changing your default browser might highlight if this is the case.

That's assuming that you've got another browser installed that will enable you to do this of course, but just thought it might be something worth considering given how quick it would be to test out.

Cheers,

Itsallaguess

staffordian
Lemon Quarter

Postby staffordian » December 3rd, 2016, 2:48 pm

Itsallaguess wrote:Hi Staffordian,

If it wouldn't take you long, I'd be interested to see if changing your default browser altered the behaviour you're seeing? I just wonder if this is a Chrome issue, or even a Chrome 'setting' issue, and I hoped that temporarily changing your default browser might highlight if this is the case.

That's assuming that you've got another browser installed that will enable you to do this of course, but just thought it might be something worth considering given how quick it would be to test out.

Cheers,

Itsallaguess

Hi Itsallaguess,

I've changed the default browser to both Edge and Firefox, and this behaviour still persists whichever browser is set to default.

I had a thought last night, that it might be something to do with an amended Hosts file I'd downloaded- something I think Bree recommended doing a while ago to do with reducing security risks IIRC. But replacing the modified one with an original Microsoft verson also made no difference, so that's something else to cross off the list of suspects :)

Thanks again for your interest,

All the best

Staffordian

Itsallaguess
Lemon Half

Postby Itsallaguess » December 3rd, 2016, 6:28 pm

staffordian wrote:
I've changed the default browser to both Edge and Firefox, and this behaviour still persists whichever browser is set to default.

I had a thought last night, that it might be something to do with an amended Hosts file I'd downloaded- something I think Bree recommended doing a while ago to do with reducing security risks IIRC. But replacing the modified one with an original Microsoft verson also made no difference, so that's something else to cross off the list of suspects :)

Shame about the default browser aspect, but good thinking on the 'Hosts' file, it would have been something I'd have suggested if you'd not got there already.

Given that the issue seems to be there independently of the default browser that's being set, I'd start to suspect it may be a local Firewall setting. Can you tell us which Firewall you're using?

Given that our broadband routers have hardware NAT firewall's in them, I'd be tempted to temporarily turn off the local software Firewall and then load up the tool, just to see if that can show us anything. I'd understand if you'd be wary of doing this, but given the NAT aspect still being there on the router side, then turning off the software Firewall for a minute or two just for this test would be something I'd give a look at and would carry almost zero risk for the short time that you're carrying out this supervised test.

Cheers,

Itsallaguess

staffordian
Lemon Quarter

Postby staffordian » December 3rd, 2016, 7:43 pm

Hi Itsallaguess,

Thanks for your persistence!

As suggested, I briefly switched off the firewall - I just use the bog standard firewall supplied with WIndows - and unfortunately it did not cure the problem.

In case the original screenshot I posted isn't clear - the first dialogue box is hidden behind the second - I've uploaded a second one where I've dragged the second box off to the right to expose the wording of the first one...

http://i.imgur.com/wpubETb.jpg

And just to recap, there are obviously three options available on the second box.

If I click open, it opens the 12 month chart in the Photos app - which is the current default photo viewer (which I assume includes png files).

If I click save, it simply gives me a dialogue box asking where I want to save the file, and it doesn't, of course. populate the empty chart window in my spreadsheet.

Clicking cancel clears both dialogue boxes, leaving the blank window, thus...

http://imgur.com/Gm93xS8

Clicking on the refresh the page link then brings up the 12 month chart, but all the other periods are there when clicked.

Again, thanks for your suggestions.

All the best,

Staffordian

Itsallaguess
Lemon Half

Postby Itsallaguess » December 4th, 2016, 6:11 am

staffordian wrote:
In case the original screenshot I posted isn't clear - the first dialogue box is hidden behind the second - I've uploaded a second one where I've dragged the second box off to the right to expose the wording of the first one...

Thanks Staffordian, that's a little clearer now as to just what's happening, although I'm still at a loss as to just why it might be the case that it *is* happening! :O)

I thought the 'z.png' information from your first screen-shot might have been pertinent, and I'm still wondering if it is to be honest. There's nothing in our code that looks at anything called 'z.png' at all, and the Yahoo charts we import into the form web-browser window aren't .png format either, so this does seem significant somehow.

Just scratching my head here really, but if you open up the Visual Basic Editor (Excel / Tools / Macro / Visual Basic Editor / password = pleaseletmein), can you take a look at the left hand side and double-click on 'UserForm9' for me?

This is what we're used to seeing on the default 'UserForm9' layout - http://i.imgur.com/kOKP2YP.png

As you can see, there's some sort of default graphic in there, that looks like a blown-up windows icon, or at least there is on my default version. I'm just wondering if the issue is something to do with that, and was hoping that taking a look at your default 'UserForm9' might show if this is the case. When you open yours up do you see the same UserForm9 as in my snapshot above, including the blown-up icon in the central WebBrowser area?

If this is the issue, or if we're in the right area anyway, then I'm just wondering if asking the UserForm9 to navigate to something like the Google homepage before it loads up onto your screen might help solve the issue, so your set-up isn't ever being asked to make the UserForm visible in it's default state, with no navigation having been done yet.

In reality I wouldn't expect you to ever see the Google homepage, as it would instantly be over-written with the relevant chart that you're getting from Yahoo, in the same way that we don't normally 'see' the blown up icon in the default area when the UserForm loads.

To check if this is the issue, can you look in the VBA code for a section of code that says this :-

Code: Select all

If Epic2 <> "" Then UserForm9.Show

If you can find that section of code, and then modify that section so that the above single line is replaced by this small section -

Code: Select all

If Epic2 <> "" Then
    UserForm9.WebBrowser1.navigate "http://chart.finance.yahoo.com/z?s=" + Epic2 + ".L&t=1y&q=&l=&z=l&a=v&p=s&lang=en-GB&region=GB"
    UserForm9.Show
    End If

Doing that, in theory, asks Excel to point the UserForm9 web-browser area to point towards the default 12-month chart for the relevant share before it's initialised, rather that *on* initialisation. I'm hoping that if, for some bizarre reason, the issue really is with that blown-up icon image on the default web-browser section, then pointing the web-browser to a valid URL before the form in initialised, rather than during initialisation, might help stop it being an issue for you at all.

Once you've carried out the above code modification, you can go back to Excel and give the single-chart button another go to see if it helps at all.

Not sure at all if this will help, but in the absence of any other ideas, I thought it was worth a shot! :O)

Let me know how you get on?

If you have any difficulties with the Visual Basic side of things then I'm happy to upload a modified version for you to grab and test out.

Cheers,

Itsallaguess

staffordian
Lemon Quarter

Postby staffordian » December 4th, 2016, 3:58 pm

Hi Itsallaguess,

I think I've managed to follow your instructions correctly.

Opening userform9 doesn't give me a windows logo, just a window with a totally black background...

http://imgur.com/HQ79fXd

Not sure if that suggests anything?

I found the code you mentioned and changed it for the modified code but I'm sorry to report that when I then clicked the single chart button it was just as before :(

What I propose to do next, hopefully this evening is dig out my mothballed old laptop to see what happens when I select charts with that one.

I'm 99.999% certain it always worked fine when I used that machine; what I can't be so certain about is whether it ever worked properly on this laptop, or whether this machine has always displayed the unusual behaviour.

I'll report back as soon as I've had chance to look at the old machine.

Once again, many thanks for all your help.

Staffordian

Itsallaguess
Lemon Half

Postby Itsallaguess » December 4th, 2016, 4:39 pm

staffordian wrote:
Opening userform9 doesn't give me a windows logo, just a window with a totally black background...

http://imgur.com/HQ79fXd

Not sure if that suggests anything?

I found the code you mentioned and changed it for the modified code but I'm sorry to report that when I then clicked the single chart button it was just as before :(

What I propose to do next, hopefully this evening is dig out my mothballed old laptop to see what happens when I select charts with that one.

I'm 99.999% certain it always worked fine when I used that machine; what I can't be so certain about is whether it ever worked properly on this laptop, or whether this machine has always displayed the unusual behaviour.

I'll report back as soon as I've had chance to look at the old machine.

Thanks Staffordian, that's helpful I think in so much as we now know there's a difference between the forms when viewed in the Visual Basic editors.

I think the next sensible thing to do would be to compare the 'References' settings on the Visual Basic side of things as well.

Here's my current settings for my configuration, which is probably a little older than yours so might be different anyway, but I'd be interested in seeing a similar screen-shot of your own settings if possible -

http://i.imgur.com/e5vfAio.png

In Visual Basic, if you go to 'Tools / References' then it should show you a similar window that you can capture to allow us to compare notes.

Hearing how you get on with your laptop as well, with the latest downloadable version, would be good to hear as well.

Cheers,

Itsallaguess

staffordian
Lemon Quarter

Postby staffordian » December 4th, 2016, 8:10 pm

Hi Itsallaguess,

I've uploaded a screenshot of my references here...

http://imgur.com/Yhgdviq

To my untrained eye it looks similar to yours.

I eventually managed to coax the mothballed laptop into life and as expected, it all worked perfectly.

I did wonder if my version of Excel 2007 on the current laptop has corrupted in some way, though running the diagnostics from within Excel didn't show any problems.

Do you have any thoughts on whether a re-install of Office would be worth trying, it looks like I can download a copy from MS as I have the product key.

Thanks again,

Staffordian

staffordian
Lemon Quarter

Postby staffordian » December 4th, 2016, 8:43 pm

Progress!!

I've managed to get the charts to load properly.

Before going through the hassle of uninstalling and re-installing Office, I thought I'd try some compatibility mode options.

None of them made any difference, but as soon as I ticked the "Run this program as an administrator" it worked, without the need to select an earlier version of Windows for compatibility.

The only downsides are that I have to click a Yes box before Excel will load, and strangely, if I try to load it as I usually do by right clicking on the Excel icon on the taskbar and selecting the file I want to load, then after clicking Yes, Excel loads, but only as an empty workbook; I have to open the spreadsheet from within Excel.

I've just got to decide now whether the chart issue or loading via administrator mode is less hassle :)

Staffordian

Breelander
Lemon Quarter

Postby Breelander » December 4th, 2016, 8:54 pm

staffordian wrote:Progress!! I've managed to get the charts to load properly ... as soon as I ticked the "Run this program as an administrator" it worked...

What version of Windows do you have? Is your normal login account an administrator or a standard user? I'm guessing you use a standard user account for perceived 'safety'. This was very much the case with XP, but since Windows 7 (and especially in Windows 10) it is quite safe to use an administrator account as your normal log in - provided you leave the User Account Control (UAC) settings at their defaults.

If you are just a standard user, try promoting your account to an administrator and see if that is a 'cure' too.

Return to “Financial Software - Discussion”