Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to jfgw,Rhyd6,eyeball08,Wondergirly,bofh, for Donating to support the site

Price Scrape of Funds

Discussions regarding financial software
HillManMill
Lemon Pip

Price Scrape of Funds

Postby HillManMill » November 26th, 2018, 10:16 am

I have been using the excel version HYPTUS for a number of years to monitor my portfolio of Equities and ITs. I also have a number of funds and have often wondered if it is possible to adapt HYPTUS or any of the other tools in the financial software section to scrape prices of UTs & OEICs etc. I have looked at the macro code in a number of the spreadsheets but cannot work out which financial website to point at and how to assemble the necessary URL.

I am comfy with writing excel macros but the codes in the HYPTUS are much more complex than I am used to.

Has anyone done this on HYPTUS or can they suggest another spreadsheet where this is possible 'out of the box'

An example of an investment I would like to get prices for is:
/fund/Threadneedle_UK_Equity_Income_ZNA_Acc_NAV Threadneedle Inv Uk Eqty Inc Z Net Acc B888FR3

Thanks for any tips

kiloran
Lemon Quarter

Re: Price Scrape of Funds

Postby kiloran » November 26th, 2018, 10:31 am

If you just want prices, and your funds are listed in Yahoo, just add them in like any other share.

It looks like this is the one you mentioned
https://uk.finance.yahoo.com/quote/GB00 ... in-srch-v1

So add GB00B888FR33 to the Digital Look Data Sheet and away you go

The simple Yahoo Price Scrape at http://lemonfoolfinancialsoftware.weebl ... crape.html may also help

--kiloran

HillManMill
Lemon Pip

Postby HillManMill » November 26th, 2018, 1:57 pm

Thanks Kiloran,

Have identified ISIN codes and tapped them into the simple price scrape spreadsheet. Now getting 7 out of 10, so a big improvement over what I had been doing. :)

Of the other three, 2 are not in the yahoo library and the 3rd has a".IR" rather than ".L" suffix that the macro is expecting.

HillManMill
Lemon Pip

Postby HillManMill » December 1st, 2018, 10:07 pm

Thanks for the pointers KIloran. I guess the problem with funds is that they often have multiple versions [different classes of units] and maybe Yahoo does not have all of them. With a little experimenting I have rather crudely adapted the price scrape macro to scrape funds with both .L and .IR suffixes

torata
Lemon Slice

Postby torata » December 2nd, 2018, 8:05 am

HillManMill wrote:Thanks for the pointers KIloran. I guess the problem with funds is that they often have multiple versions [different classes of units] and maybe Yahoo does not have all of them. With a little experimenting I have rather crudely adapted the price scrape macro to scrape funds with both .L and .IR suffixes

This may be of help.
I use google sheets with
=IMPORTHTML(B4, "table", 1) (with B4 being the URL)
to pull up data that not's easily accessible, or direct from a provider's own pages.

Takes a bit of setting up, but it works for me. Possibly a similar function in excel?

torata

stacker512
2 Lemon pips

Postby stacker512 » April 12th, 2023, 9:08 pm

I appreciate this is an old topic, but has anyone succeeded in getting ITs / Shares and OEICs to be scraped from the same table in HYPTUSS?

I've added the name, SEDOL and sector into the "Company Data Sheet" sheet. It appears in my list and list of shares I can add, but getting prices and yields fails.

Itsallaguess
Lemon Half

Postby Itsallaguess » April 12th, 2023, 9:27 pm

stacker512 wrote:
I appreciate this is an old topic, but has anyone succeeded in getting ITs / Shares and OEICs to be scraped from the same table in HYPTUSS?

I've added the name, SEDOL and sector into the "Company Data Sheet" sheet. It appears in my list and list of shares I can add, but getting prices and yields fails.

Page 19 (Step 2) of the HYPTUSS User Guide, included in all ZIP download files (https://tinyurl.com/y9atwtb7), should provide instructions for adding new shares or IT's to the 'Company Data Sheet', to enable normal income-portfolio functionality via the main sheet.

Fund price-scrapes were a bolt-on feature that we added much later, and we've not incorporated that process into the main portfolio functionality, as the main HYPTUSS processes are primarily aimed to provide a suite of portfolio tools for income-investment purposes, but you can gain OEIC and fund prices separately, via the 'FT Funds' sheet in the HYPTUSS tool, and the following linked post should give a good overview of that simple process -

https://www.lemonfool.co.uk/viewtopic.php?t=25025#p336483

Hope that helps, but if you've got any specific issues with the fund side of things if you give it a go, then please just let me know.

Cheers,

Itsallaguess

Return to “Financial Software - Discussion”