Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva,scotia,Anonymous,Cornytiv34, for Donating to support the site

Updated Excel HYPTUSS available for test

Discussions regarding financial software
kiloran
Lemon Quarter

Updated Excel HYPTUSS available for test

Postby kiloran » July 18th, 2023, 12:33 pm

Yahoo recently disabled the API that we use to retrieve prices for HYPTUSS and other tools. I've developed an updated Excel HYPTUSS which gets prices from https://shareprices.com/indices/ftse-all-share/
One reason that the Yahoo API was used is that it was very fast, even for multiple shares. The new HYPTUSS is also reasonably fast, initially loading prices from the FTSE all-share index with a single web query, and then filling in any gaps on a share-by-share basis.

Itsallaguess and I have done some basic testing and it seems to be OK, so it's being made available to you for further testing while I work on a similar LibreOffice solution.

The test HYPTUSS can be downloaded here: https://lemonfoolfinancialsoftware.weeb ... _page.html
Please give it a good thrashing and let me know if you find any bugs. I tested it for shares quoted in pence, pounds and dollars, but I could not find any shares on the London Stock Exchange quoted in euros, groats or any other obscure currency, so if you know of any, please let me know.

--kiloran

genou
Lemon Quarter

Re: Updated Excel HYPTUSS available for test

Postby genou » July 18th, 2023, 12:49 pm

kiloran wrote:I could not find any shares on the London Stock Exchange quoted in euros, groats or any other obscure currency, so if you know of any, please let me know.

--kiloran

PEY is the Euro quote for Princess Private Equity. Quoted in GBX as PEYS.

kiloran
Lemon Quarter

Postby kiloran » July 18th, 2023, 12:53 pm

genou wrote:
kiloran wrote:I could not find any shares on the London Stock Exchange quoted in euros, groats or any other obscure currency, so if you know of any, please let me know.

--kiloran

PEY is the Euro quote for Princess Private Equity. Quoted in GBX as PEYS.

Brilliant! What a community this is!

--kiloran

lansdown

Postby lansdown » July 18th, 2023, 2:45 pm

Just tried the new HYPTUS. Seems to work fine with one small issue. When updating the share price it does not update FTSE-HYP Tracking sheet. Interesting when you update the "Get Yields" that does update the tracking sheet.
Hope that helps
Lansdown

monabri
Lemon Half

Postby monabri » July 18th, 2023, 2:50 pm

Might need to add to the company data sheet

TFIF
SEQI
HDIV
APEO
BIPS
BGS
SDV
SREI

BHP forecast yield at 623% looks 'optimistic'..

kiloran
Lemon Quarter

Postby kiloran » July 18th, 2023, 3:00 pm

lansdown wrote:Just tried the new HYPTUS. Seems to work fine with one small issue. When updating the share price it does not update FTSE-HYP Tracking sheet. Interesting when you update the "Get Yields" that does update the tracking sheet.
Hope that helps
Lansdown

Correct. I left that bug in there to check if you were paying attention.
On the other hand, it might just be an example of my spectacular incompetence.
I'll fix it.

--kiloran

kiloran
Lemon Quarter

Postby kiloran » July 18th, 2023, 3:04 pm

monabri wrote:Might need to add to the company data sheet

TFIF
SEQI
HDIV
APEO
BIPS
BGS
SDV
SREI

BHP forecast yield at 623% looks 'optimistic'..

I'll get those added in.
Sharecast have had problems with BHP forecast yield for many months. I seem to remember it broke HYPTUSS when it went over 1000%

--kiloran

monabri
Lemon Half

Postby monabri » July 18th, 2023, 3:06 pm

lansdown wrote:Just tried the new HYPTUS. Seems to work fine with one small issue. When updating the share price it does not update FTSE-HYP Tracking sheet. Interesting when you update the "Get Yields" that does update the tracking sheet.
Hope that helps
Lansdown

Confirmed.

(It will update if you manually click on the "refresh data" button (grey box))

monabri
Lemon Half

Postby monabri » July 18th, 2023, 3:07 pm

kiloran wrote:On the other hand, it might just be an example of my spectacular incompetence.

--kiloran

Never !!
;)

monabri
Lemon Half

Postby monabri » July 18th, 2023, 3:11 pm

Single Chart - throws up an issue (compile error in hidden module sheet 1):

Ditto "Sector Weighting"

monabri
Lemon Half

Postby monabri » July 18th, 2023, 3:14 pm

I tested these 8 buttons - seems ok to me.

kiloran
Lemon Quarter

Postby kiloran » July 18th, 2023, 3:23 pm

monabri wrote:Single Chart - throws up an issue (compile error in hidden module sheet 1):

Ditto "Sector Weighting"

Hmmm..... that's weird. I see the same error. I didn't touch that code. I need to do some head-scratching.

--kiloran

monabri
Lemon Half

Postby monabri » July 18th, 2023, 3:40 pm

Dividends Page

I gave it a good thraping on ~100 shares. Seemed to work but reported "no div" on certain shares...the bond funds I mentioned earlier and Murray International (MYI). I seem to recall they had a 5:1 share split...maybe this is causing an issue as other income ITs (MRCH,EAT,HFEL.AEI,EDIN,DIG ++ ) seem to scrape the correct data.

MYI TFIF SEQI HDIV APEO BIPS BGS SDV BGCG BGEU BGUK AUSC MTE BOXE SREI

It then concluded the update with

Imagepicture sharing

I tried again, same error msg.

Dinick

Postby Dinick » July 18th, 2023, 5:46 pm

First of all my I express my appreciation to Kiloran for creating HYPTUSS and for the continual support provided over the many years since. A tremendous commitment and much appreciated by me and many others on here.

I'm not a techy in this world so my problem may be due to something I've done (or not done) but the ZCASH ticker current price (Col E) is cleared when the get share prices button is pressed, and isn't reset to 100. Just goes blank.

Any thoughts anyone?

TIA.

kiloran
Lemon Quarter

Postby kiloran » July 18th, 2023, 5:59 pm

Dinick wrote:First of all my I express my appreciation to Kiloran for creating HYPTUSS and for the continual support provided over the many years since. A tremendous commitment and much appreciated by me and many others on here.

I'm not a techy in this world so my problem may be due to something I've done (or not done) but the ZCASH ticker current price (Col E) is cleared when the get share prices button is pressed, and isn't reset to 100. Just goes blank.

Any thoughts anyone?

TIA.

First, and most importantly, HYPTUSS was the brainchild and creation of Itsallaguess. I'm the lesser mortal who helps with maintenance.

Secondly, it's not you, it's me, I forgot about ZCASH. That's the benefit of user testing and feedback. I'll fix it.

--kiloran

Dinick

Postby Dinick » July 19th, 2023, 9:00 am

First, and most importantly, HYPTUSS was the brainchild and creation of Itsallaguess. I'm the lesser mortal who helps with maintenance.

Then my appreciation is also due to itsallaguess as well!

Thanks for taking a look.

Nocton
Lemon Slice

Postby Nocton » July 19th, 2023, 9:10 am

kiloran wrote:Yahoo recently disabled the API that we use to retrieve prices for HYPTUSS and other tools. I've developed an updated Excel HYPTUSS which gets prices from https://shareprices.com/indices/ftse-all-share/
One reason that the Yahoo API was used is that it was very fast, even for multiple shares. The new HYPTUSS is also reasonably fast, initially loading prices from the FTSE all-share index with a single web query, and then filling in any gaps on a share-by-share basis.

Itsallaguess and I have done some basic testing and it seems to be OK, so it's being made available to you for further testing while I work on a similar LibreOffice solution.

The test HYPTUSS can be downloaded here: https://lemonfoolfinancialsoftware.weeb ... _page.html
Please give it a good thrashing and let me know if you find any bugs. I tested it for shares quoted in pence, pounds and dollars, but I could not find any shares on the London Stock Exchange quoted in euros, groats or any other obscure currency, so if you know of any, please let me know.

--kiloran

Thank you kiloran. Your hard work is very much appreciated.
However, I don't use HYPTUSS - having already had my own spreadsheet in use for many years I preferred to stick with that. But, I did incorporate your Yahoo-price-scraping code into my own VBA code, so now I'd like to use your shareprices.com code. However, I see that you have a password on the VBA code in HYPTUSS. May I have it please? Or otherwise, may I have a copy of just the price-scraping code?

kiloran
Lemon Quarter

Postby kiloran » July 19th, 2023, 9:15 am

Nocton wrote:However, I don't use HYPTUSS - having already had my own spreadsheet in use for many years I preferred to stick with that. But, I did incorporate your Yahoo-price-scraping code into my own VBA code, so now I'd like to use your shareprices.com code. However, I see that you have a password on the VBA code in HYPTUSS. May I have it please? Or otherwise, may I have a copy of just the price-scraping code?

Sure, the password is no secret, it's just there to stop someone inadvertently editing the code.

The password is: pleaseletmein

--kiloran

Nocton
Lemon Slice

Postby Nocton » July 19th, 2023, 10:12 am

kiloran wrote:
Nocton wrote:However, I don't use HYPTUSS - having already had my own spreadsheet in use for many years I preferred to stick with that. But, I did incorporate your Yahoo-price-scraping code into my own VBA code, so now I'd like to use your shareprices.com code. However, I see that you have a password on the VBA code in HYPTUSS. May I have it please? Or otherwise, may I have a copy of just the price-scraping code?

Sure, the password is no secret, it's just there to stop someone inadvertently editing the code.

The password is: pleaseletmein

--kiloran

Thank you.

Arborbridge
The full Lemon

Postby Arborbridge » July 19th, 2023, 2:51 pm

I've run the test HYPTUSS on my 40-ish shares, and it went well, giving me the most reliable value for value and dividends I've had for a while.

No problems apart from the usual BHP, for which I stuck in 10.8%.

Thank you, Kiloran, for getting us going again!

Next test will be on my IT basket later today.

Arb.

Return to “Financial Software - Discussion”