Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to eyeball08,Wondergirly,bofh,johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva, for Donating to support the site

New HYPTUSS versions 11.69 and b-k

Discussions regarding financial software
kiloran
Lemon Quarter

New HYPTUSS versions 11.69 and b-k

Postby kiloran » June 25th, 2019, 10:33 am

A problem was recently reported with Forecast Yields from Sharecast (previously Digital Look and Webfg): viewtopic.php?f=27&t=18160

We've no idea how long it will take Sharecast to fix this data, so Itsallaguess and I have updated HYPTUSS to work around this problem. The Parameters sheet now has an option to select "Forecast Yields" (the default) or "Latest Yields". "Latest Yields" in Sharecast appear to be unaffected by the problems and therefore produce more reasonable data than the corrupted "Forecast Yields"

We've added another enhancement. Seagles suggested a modification to allow renaming the sector for Investment Trusts from "Equity Investment Instruments" to "IT xxxxx" where xxxxx can be anything you want. viewtopic.php?f=27&t=17724
This feature is now included.

The new versions of HYPTUSS are at: http://lemonfoolfinancialsoftware.weebl ... op-up.html

--kiloran

Itsallaguess
Lemon Half

Re: New HYPTUSS versions 11.69 and b-k

Postby Itsallaguess » June 25th, 2019, 12:30 pm

Just in case it's not clear from the Seagles thread above, the additional enhancement that's introduced in this release (over and above the forecast yield / latest yield improvement) is to implement Seagle's great suggestion that helps differentiate Investment Trusts in the HYP portfolio, and we know that these types of holdings are held by many HYP owners so we thought this would be a great bit of new functionality to bring on board.

Previously, they were all lumped under a sector called 'Equity Investment Instruments', which isn't too helpful downstream when we might wish to see which particular sub-sector of income-related Investment Trusts they come from, and where our capital and income is being allocated regarding the often diverse markets and geography that many of our IT's deal with.

Now, the HYPTUSS tool will allow users to self-differentiate their IT holdings, by using a variable sector on the Data-Sheet, which needs to follow the format of 'IT xxxxxxx', where the 'xxxxxxx' can now represent a sub-sector of IT's that can be user-defined.

Seagles himself demonstrated this best in the linked post above, but I thought I'd reproduce his example on this thread too, just to give a quick idea of how this new enhancement can help us manage our HYP's a little better if they contain a number of income-related Investment Trusts -

Hopefully it's clear from the above table that rather than the previous HYPTUSS versions lumping all of the above IT's into one 'Equity Investment Instruments' sector, both in the Weightings functionality and on the Overview sheet, it's now much better to be able to differentiate between what are often quite different Investment Trusts, which will then give a much more granular output in both the Weightings and the Overview processes.

Thanks again to Seagle's for coming up with such a simple, but powerful improvement for the tool.

Cheers,

Itsallaguess

seagles
Lemon Slice

Postby seagles » June 25th, 2019, 3:29 pm

Will test this out as soon I can. Microsoft technical support are trying to recover my profile after update1890 for windows 10 deleted or corrupted it. 2 hours and counting.

seagles
Lemon Slice

Postby seagles » June 25th, 2019, 5:01 pm

Tested latest yield and IT naming change. Both worked fine. Did not try "Watchlist" as I do not use it.

Could you look at updating button names on next update? Digital Look and DL for instance.

BTW, Microsoft at first could not fix it and blamed me for customising my profile, as if. Told me to get outside supplier to recover files. After 30 years in IT that did not work and they eventually found a way to retrieve all the missing files. It did not help that "restore" points are off by default instead of on.... Now both are on.

staffordian
Lemon Quarter

Postby staffordian » June 25th, 2019, 11:13 pm

Can I please ask what is probably a stupid question?

It relates to renaming ITs.

With the previous versions, I did what I think might be similar to what you describe; I went to the Digital Look Data Sheet and changed the text in the New Data Sheet Sector column from Equity Investment Instruments to Global, or UK Equity Income or whatever for the ITs I own. I didn't make any change to the VB code (I wouldn't know how to...)

What do I do differently in this new version? Does it in some way do it for me so I don't have to make this change? I can't fathom out what the change is that you've made.

Thanks for any enlightenment, and thanks again to Itsallaguess and kiloran for the amazing work!

Staffordian

Itsallaguess
Lemon Half

Postby Itsallaguess » June 26th, 2019, 4:57 am

staffordian wrote:

With the previous versions, I did what I think might be similar to what you describe; I went to the Digital Look Data Sheet and changed the text in the New Data Sheet Sector column from Equity Investment Instruments to Global, or UK Equity Income or whatever for the ITs I own. I didn't make any change to the VB code (I wouldn't know how to...)

It's not a daft question, but the answer is a little nuanced, so you'll have to bear with me....

Quite often, Investment Trusts have a 'Forecast Yield' marked as 'N/A' on the Sharecast (ex Digital Look) website, and whenever anything is in that position, one of the first rules in the code states that the tool should then return the 'Latest Yield' and mark it in red so that it warns the user that something 'odd'' is going on - but crucially, the code at this stage does not differentiate at all between shares and Investment Trusts with this specific check - it's just checking to see if there is a valid 'Forecast Yield' figure that it can use that's not marked as 'N/A'.....

The 'test' to see if the portfolio line currently being looked at was marked as an Investment Trust (sector = 'Equity Investment Instruments') is carried out later on in the code, and in those cases, the 'Latest Yield' was *always* used and marked in red, as we know that the 'Forecast Yield' for those types of holdings can't be relied upon to have a valid 'Forecast Yield' figure.

The nuance is that more often than not, most Investment Trusts also hold an entry of 'N/A' on the Sharecast website for their 'Forecast Yield' figures, so if this was the case for all of your IT holdings, then you'd have got away with altering your Investment Trust sector allocation to whatever you wanted it to be, and it will have worked as the new version does now, but it would have only 'worked' via a slightly different route, and only because it was dependant on the 'N/A' marking in the 'Forecast Yields', and not because of anything to do with the 'Equity Investment Instruments' sector marking...

Some Investment Trusts don't have 'N/A' marked in their 'Forecast Yields', and are marked with a simple '0%' yield figure, even though they actually have a valid 'Latest Yield' figure on the Sharecast site, and if you'd owned any of those Investment Trusts, then doing what you used to do would have returned a yield figure of 0%, because the tool would not have known to use the 'Latest Yield' figure for an IT with a sector marked as anything else other than 'Equity Investment Instruments'....

I hope the above makes sense - the bottom line is that now, any Investment Trust with a sector marked either as 'Equity Investment Instruments' or an 'IT xxxxxxx' will *always* use the 'Latest Yield' figure in the tool, so people can allocate more granular Investment Trust sector descriptions with confidence that the yield-scrape process will always grab the 'Latest Yield' figure from the Sharecast website....

Cheers,

Itsallaguess

staffordian
Lemon Quarter

Postby staffordian » June 26th, 2019, 7:48 am

Thanks very much for that explanation Itsallaguess. Makes perfect sense now.

Staffordian

TUK020
Lemon Quarter

Postby TUK020 » June 27th, 2019, 9:10 pm

kiloran wrote:A problem was recently reported with Forecast Yields from Sharecast (previously Digital Look and Webfg): viewtopic.php?f=27&t=18160

We've no idea how long it will take Sharecast to fix this data, so Itsallaguess and I have updated HYPTUSS to work around this problem. The Parameters sheet now has an option to select "Forecast Yields" (the default) or "Latest Yields". "Latest Yields" in Sharecast appear to be unaffected by the problems and therefore produce more reasonable data than the corrupted "Forecast Yields"

We've added another enhancement. Seagles suggested a modification to allow renaming the sector for Investment Trusts from "Equity Investment Instruments" to "IT xxxxx" where xxxxx can be anything you want. viewtopic.php?f=27&t=17724
This feature is now included.

The new versions of HYPTUSS are at: http://lemonfoolfinancialsoftware.weebl ... op-up.html

--kiloran

I think you guys are wonderful.
Much, much appreciated
tuk020

Arborbridge
The full Lemon

Postby Arborbridge » June 28th, 2019, 7:22 am

Thanks for making this modification. Where would we be without you? - quite lost.

Arb.

Breelander
Lemon Quarter

Postby Breelander » July 1st, 2019, 10:12 pm

kiloran wrote:A problem was recently reported with Forecast Yields from Sharecast (previously Digital Look and Webfg) ... We've no idea how long it will take Sharecast to fix this data, so Itsallaguess and I have updated HYPTUSS to work around this problem....

It appears the Sharecast problem has causes HYPTUSS to stop being able to retrieve yields when used with my LibreOffice Portable Version: 4.3.5.2 (yes, I know it's old, but it had worked perfectly until recently). Click the 'Get Digital Look Forecast Yields' button and it hangs. The old values are cleared then the status at the bottom says 'Processing BP' (or whatever) but there is no progress bar and it never completes. I first spotted this bug after migrating my portfolio to b-k, but it was also affecting its b-j and b-i ancestors.

I guess it was the perfect storm: the combination of the Sharecast problem, plus HYPTUSS (any version, I've tested back as far as version b-a), plus LibreOffice 4.3.5.2 hits an obscure bug (probably in LO) and hangs.

The fix for me was to upgrade LibreOffice. That appears to have been the main culprit, but I thought I'd mention it here just in case it had any relevance to HYPTUSS.

kiloran
Lemon Quarter

Postby kiloran » July 2nd, 2019, 10:00 am

Breelander wrote:
kiloran wrote:A problem was recently reported with Forecast Yields from Sharecast (previously Digital Look and Webfg) ... We've no idea how long it will take Sharecast to fix this data, so Itsallaguess and I have updated HYPTUSS to work around this problem....

It appears the Sharecast problem has causes HYPTUSS to stop being able to retrieve yields when used with my LibreOffice Portable Version: 4.3.5.2 (yes, I know it's old, but it had worked perfectly until recently). Click the 'Get Digital Look Forecast Yields' button and it hangs. The old values are cleared then the status at the bottom says 'Processing BP' (or whatever) but there is no progress bar and it never completes. I first spotted this bug after migrating my portfolio to b-k, but it was also affecting its b-j and b-i ancestors.

I guess it was the perfect storm: the combination of the Sharecast problem, plus HYPTUSS (any version, I've tested back as far as version b-a), plus LibreOffice 4.3.5.2 hits an obscure bug (probably in LO) and hangs.

The fix for me was to upgrade LibreOffice. That appears to have been the main culprit, but I thought I'd mention it here just in case it had any relevance to HYPTUSS.

That's an odd one, Bree. I see the same thing with 4.0.2.2 and 4.3.2.2
The strange thing is that I normally check HYPTUSS with various versions of LibreOffice 4,5 and 6 so it must have worked at some point. My LibreOffice portable installations are unchanged so something else must have changed. And a quick check suggests that the problem occurs before the call to get the forecast yields from Sharecast, in a pretty simple piece of code.

I'll investigate further when I've got some other things out of the way.

I've also noticed that some of the portable versions take a minute or so to fire up and shut down. Never used to take anywhere near that long. Sounds like it may be something external to LibreOffice

--kiloran

Breelander
Lemon Quarter

Postby Breelander » July 2nd, 2019, 4:28 pm

kiloran wrote:That's an odd one, Bree. I see the same thing with 4.0.2.2 and 4.3.2.2
The strange thing is that I normally check HYPTUSS with various versions of LibreOffice 4,5 and 6 so it must have worked at some point...
...I'll investigate further when I've got some other things out of the way.

Good, so it's not just me then. As I said, no rush as the fix is simple - use something more up to date...

I've also noticed that some of the portable versions take a minute or so to fire up and shut down. Never used to take anywhere near that long...

Yes, mine did that too. I suspect its due to changes in the way Defender handles it - been like that for at least six months as I recall. The upgrade to 6.2.4.2 portable fixed that too :D

Urbandreamer
Lemon Quarter

Postby Urbandreamer » July 3rd, 2019, 9:20 am

Itsallaguess wrote:
staffordian wrote:

It's not a daft question, but the answer is a little nuanced, so you'll have to bear with me....

Quite often, Investment Trusts have a 'Forecast Yield' marked as 'N/A' on the Sharecast (ex Digital Look) website, and whenever anything is in that position, one of the first rules in the code states that the tool should then return the 'Latest Yield' and mark it in red so that it warns the user that something 'odd'' is going on - but crucially, the code at this stage does not differentiate at all between shares and Investment Trusts with this specific check - it's just checking to see if there is a valid 'Forecast Yield' figure that it can use that's not marked as 'N/A'.....

The 'test' to see if the portfolio line currently being looked at was marked as an Investment Trust (sector = 'Equity Investment Instruments') is carried out later on in the code, and in those cases, the 'Latest Yield' was *always* used and marked in red, as we know that the 'Forecast Yield' for those types of holdings can't be relied upon to have a valid 'Forecast Yield' figure.

The nuance is that more often than not, most Investment Trusts also hold an entry of 'N/A' on the Sharecast website for their 'Forecast Yield' figures, so if this was the case for all of your IT holdings, then you'd have got away with altering your Investment Trust sector allocation to whatever you wanted it to be, and it will have worked as the new version does now, but it would have only 'worked' via a slightly different route, and only because it was dependant on the 'N/A' marking in the 'Forecast Yields', and not because of anything to do with the 'Equity Investment Instruments' sector marking...

Some Investment Trusts don't have 'N/A' marked in their 'Forecast Yields', and are marked with a simple '0%' yield figure, even though they actually have a valid 'Latest Yield' figure on the Sharecast site, and if you'd owned any of those Investment Trusts, then doing what you used to do would have returned a yield figure of 0%, because the tool would not have known to use the 'Latest Yield' figure for an IT with a sector marked as anything else other than 'Equity Investment Instruments'....

I hope the above makes sense - the bottom line is that now, any Investment Trust with a sector marked either as 'Equity Investment Instruments' or an 'IT xxxxxxx' will *always* use the 'Latest Yield' figure in the tool, so people can allocate more granular Investment Trust sector descriptions with confidence that the yield-scrape process will always grab the 'Latest Yield' figure from the Sharecast website....

Cheers,

Itsallaguess

Many thinks Itsallaguess. Could you point me to the routine (or its name) used for this in the current LebreOffice code?

I would like to experiment with dealing/ignoring ETF's, as I have one in my portfolio.
If I get anywhere I'll obviously feed the results back.

I realise that ETF's are outside the spirit of HYP and hence outside the scope of HYPTUSS, however editing the table every table update is a bit irritating. Coded correctly it shouldn't cause issues for those who don't have any ETF's, however as said, it's of no benefit to those who follow the HYP method.

kiloran
Lemon Quarter

Postby kiloran » July 3rd, 2019, 9:32 am

Urbandreamer wrote:
Itsallaguess wrote:
staffordian wrote:

Cheers,

Itsallaguess

Many thinks Itsallaguess. Could you point me to the routine (or its name) used for this in the current LebreOffice code?

I would like to experiment with dealing/ignoring ETF's, as I have one in my portfolio.
If I get anywhere I'll obviously feed the results back.

I realise that ETF's are outside the spirit of HYP and hence outside the scope of HYPTUSS, however editing the table every table update is a bit irritating. Coded correctly it shouldn't cause issues for those who don't have any ETF's, however as said, it's of no benefit to those who follow the HYP method.

The main subroutine for this is:

def getDlData(csi, sector):

Around line 1710 on version b-k

Personally, I don't link the HYPTUSS with the 'extreme purist' view of HYP, otherwise it would probably not handle ITs. It's a portfolio management tool which is biased towards dividend-producing shares. Normal shares, ITs, ETFs..... anything is within scope

--kiloran

Return to “Financial Software - Discussion”