Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to eyeball08,Wondergirly,bofh,johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva, for Donating to support the site

Share trading software and/or app

Discussions regarding financial software
Beasties

Share trading software and/or app

Postby Beasties » August 5th, 2020, 10:42 am

Hi, I am looking for recommendations please for some share trading software, not to actually trade shares but to keep track of all the shares I have bought over the years in my ISAs. The problem is that I now have several ISA providers due to takeovers, platforms ending etc and my whole portfolio has become an almighty mess now. Every time my holdings have been moved all the purchase details have been lost. I want to go back through all my trades and have them under one umbrella to see how the overall portfolio is performing. I don't need to keep track of dividends purely buy and sells (not that I have any sales as yet).

Ideally the platform would have a windows programme and an android app that sync. So far the only one I've tried that I like is an app called My Stocks Portfolio which is on my phone but is a bit fiddly as it's on a phone. I prefer a proper keyboard and screen. Also there seems to be a problem with one of the live prices on one of the few stocks I have entered which is skewing the entire portfolio.

Any help much appreciated in advance.

GeoffF100
Lemon Quarter

Re: Share trading software and/or app

Postby GeoffF100 » August 5th, 2020, 11:01 am

I set up a portfolio on Trustnet, which works for individual shares and for funds:

https://login.microsoftonline.com/fetru ... QzNDMwMTNi

Beasties

Postby Beasties » August 5th, 2020, 11:17 am

GeoffF100 wrote:I set up a portfolio on Trustnet, which works for individual shares and for funds:

https://login.microsoftonline.com/fetru ... QzNDMwMTNi

Hi Geoff, I've tried that and created a profile but I can't seem to find anywhere that I can add a portfolio or some investments. Most links just bring me back to the My Account screen. I've probably just not found the magic button yet but I can't get it to do anything.

GeoffF100
Lemon Quarter

Postby GeoffF100 » August 5th, 2020, 11:35 am

Have you clicked "not registered, click here" and created an account? Can you log into that account, using my link? Is so, you should be able to create a portfolio. There is a portfolio button in the black band near the top of the screen. What do you see on the screen after logging in?

Beasties

Postby Beasties » August 5th, 2020, 11:50 am

GeoffF100 wrote:Have you clicked "not registered, click here" and created an account? Can you log into that account, using my link? Is so, you should be able to create a portfolio. There is a portfolio button in the black band near the top of the screen. What do you see on the screen after logging in?

Yes I did all that a while ago and fiddled around for ages but couldn't get anywhere. Bizarrely I've just had another go and it's worked for some reason. Although the website seems slow and stuttery for some reason. I'll have a play around and report back.

Beasties

Postby Beasties » August 5th, 2020, 11:58 am

Ok, I've entered my first purchase in 2008 and it's accepted it. Although it does show profit it doesn't show my purchase price which is annoying to say the least. And it only allowed me to put in total cost without allowing dealing costs. Not good so far.

kiloran
Lemon Quarter

Postby kiloran » August 5th, 2020, 12:35 pm

Beasties wrote:Ok, I've entered my first purchase in 2008 and it's accepted it. Although it does show profit it doesn't show my purchase price which is annoying to say the least. And it only allowed me to put in total cost without allowing dealing costs. Not good so far.

Try the ADVFN portfolio: https://uk.advfn.com/

It shows purchase cost, average buy price, and allows you to enter dealing costs. It also handles multiple portfolios

--kiloran

GeoffF100
Lemon Quarter

Postby GeoffF100 » August 5th, 2020, 12:37 pm

Beasties wrote:Ok, I've entered my first purchase in 2008 and it's accepted it. Although it does show profit it doesn't show my purchase price which is annoying to say the least. And it only allowed me to put in total cost without allowing dealing costs. Not good so far.

It shows your purchase cost and your number of shares. I allow for your my dealing costs by dividing my purchase cost (i.e. what I paid the broker - including costs) by the number of shares that I bought to get the cost per share which I enter as the purchase price. The website is slow unfortunately.

GeoffF100
Lemon Quarter

Postby GeoffF100 » August 5th, 2020, 12:39 pm

kiloran wrote:

It shows purchase cost, average buy price, and allows you to enter dealing costs. It also handles multiple portfolios

--kiloran

The ADVFN portfolio did not deal with funds when I last looked. Trustnet does, but the fund prices are not always fully up to date.

mc2fool
Lemon Half

Postby mc2fool » August 5th, 2020, 12:46 pm

I think the idea is that your "total cost" should include dealing costs, stamp, etc, but you are right in that Trustnet only allows you a very limited set of info, security, date, units (/shares) and total cost, and there's no way of itemising what the latter is comprised of or noting share price or adding any other useful info like, e.g. which ISA a holding is in. 8-)

Failing all else, have you considered a DIY spreadsheet? That way you could keep whatever info you like. Lemon Fool has some that you could use/adapt that, I believe, can also grab live prices from various datafeeds.

See http://lemonfoolfinancialsoftware.weebly.com/ but look on the Financial Software - Discussion board, which actually would be the best place for your question anyway. I'll ask the mods to move this thread there.... ;)

GeoffF100
Lemon Quarter

Postby GeoffF100 » August 5th, 2020, 12:57 pm

mc2fool wrote:

I think the idea is that your "total cost" should include dealing costs, stamp, etc, but you are right in that Trustnet only allows you a very limited set of info, security, date, units (/shares) and total cost, and there's no way of itemising what the latter is comprised of or noting share price or adding any other useful info like, e.g. which ISA a holding is in. 8-)

You can have a separate portfolio for each ISA. I paste each Trustnet portfolio from Chrome into Notepad, globally replace commas with nothing, and paste the result into LibreOffice Calc.

Beasties

Postby Beasties » August 5th, 2020, 1:05 pm

Good info there, thank you all. I use spreadsheets and did consider one but I'm not into them to the extent that I could do what you're suggesting with data feeds etc. I just wanted something reasonably simple and bombproof, but obv with live(ish) prices.

I don't need funds to be included as I never go near them but I do have a lot of investment trusts so that would be crucial.

mc2fool
Lemon Half

Postby mc2fool » August 5th, 2020, 1:06 pm

GeoffF100 wrote:
mc2fool wrote:I think the idea is that your "total cost" should include dealing costs, stamp, etc, but you are right in that Trustnet only allows you a very limited set of info, security, date, units (/shares) and total cost, and there's no way of itemising what the latter is comprised of or noting share price or adding any other useful info like, e.g. which ISA a holding is in. 8-)

You can have a separate portfolio for each ISA. I paste each Trustnet portfolio from Chrome into Notepad, globally replace commas with nothing, and paste the result into LibreOffice Calc.

And so proving that having a separate portfolio for each isn't a substitute for being able to note where each holding is and looking at your holdings as a whole. :D

tjh290633
Lemon Half

Postby tjh290633 » August 5th, 2020, 2:08 pm

GeoffF100 wrote:
kiloran wrote:

--kiloran

The ADVFN portfolio did not deal with funds when I last looked. Trustnet does, but the fund prices are not always fully up to date.

Trustnet takes its prices for funds from the fund manager's website. They are often a bit slow to update. Most days they are updated by 5pm, reflecting the noon price calculation. If you find any that are not, and check the fund manager's site, you will usually find that site to have the prices from the previous working day.

The best way to confirm the daily prices is to look in early the next day, if you have any concerns.

TJH

kiloran
Lemon Quarter

Postby kiloran » August 5th, 2020, 2:17 pm

Beasties wrote:Good info there, thank you all. I use spreadsheets and did consider one but I'm not into them to the extent that I could do what you're suggesting with data feeds etc. I just wanted something reasonably simple and bombproof, but obv with live(ish) prices.

I don't need funds to be included as I never go near them but I do have a lot of investment trusts so that would be crucial.

Here's a simple price feed from Yahoo to use in a spreadsheet: http://lemonfoolfinancialsoftware.weebl ... crape.html

And here's one that uses Google as a price feed: http://lemonfoolfinancialsoftware.weebl ... price.html

--kiloran

dspp
Lemon Half

Postby dspp » August 5th, 2020, 2:49 pm

Beasties wrote:Hi, I am looking for recommendations please for some share trading software, not to actually trade shares but to keep track of all the shares I have bought over the years in my ISAs. The problem is that I now have several ISA providers due to takeovers, platforms ending etc and my whole portfolio has become an almighty mess now. Every time my holdings have been moved all the purchase details have been lost. I want to go back through all my trades and have them under one umbrella to see how the overall portfolio is performing. I don't need to keep track of dividends purely buy and sells (not that I have any sales as yet).

Ideally the platform would have a windows programme and an android app that sync. So far the only one I've tried that I like is an app called My Stocks Portfolio which is on my phone but is a bit fiddly as it's on a phone. I prefer a proper keyboard and screen. Also there seems to be a problem with one of the live prices on one of the few stocks I have entered which is skewing the entire portfolio.

Any help much appreciated in advance.

Beasties,

You likely didn't realise but there is a Financial Software (Discussion) board, and I have relocated your question to it. This note will get you a 'notification' to cause you to go to the relocated thread on the correct board.

By the way, I think the only way you can truly get the solution you are after is to set up a spreadsheet, or use one that someone else has already written. If you go to the other Financial Software (Actual Software) downloads section, which takes you to http://lemonfoolfinancialsoftware.weebly.com/ you can find something that StepOne wrote http://lemonfoolfinancialsoftware.weebl ... folio.html which may help you.

regards,
dspp
[as a Mod]

Return to “Financial Software - Discussion”