Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva,scotia,Anonymous,Cornytiv34, for Donating to support the site

You always get an oooh with Yahoo

Discussions regarding financial software
spiderbill
Lemon Slice

You always get an oooh with Yahoo

Postby spiderbill » April 23rd, 2020, 11:57 am

Yahoo frequently drive me insane. Their figures often seem to made up as they go along. But today they've excelled themselves. I looked at my phone app which uses their data this morning and saw Aviva up about 8%. Odd. But then I remembered the approx price from yesterday and it was now lower than I recalled.

Switched on the PC and checked the Yahoo site and compared it to my spreadsheet and to my HYPTUSS sheet and also checked their graph. It had closed at 237.5 (I had checked prices a few hours after close) and opened at 232.7 and was now 234.4 yet it was claiming an 8.5% rise.

Digging around we find them claiming on their table of info a closing price of 216.10 - where on earth did they get that? Their own graphs never went anywhere near that. Did they fabricate a projected drop due to today being nominally the ex-div day? (the dividend has of course been cancelled so there should be no effect at all from that.)

This sort of thing must confuse the hell out of new investors. Advice to them - don't trust any change of price information anywhere on the net or on phone apps. You never know what they're comparing. Generate your own spreadsheet and compare yesterday with today. Otherwise you'll be misled time and time again.
</rant>

mc2fool
Lemon Half

Re: You always get an oooh with Yahoo

Postby mc2fool » April 23rd, 2020, 12:26 pm

spiderbill wrote:Yahoo frequently drive me insane. Their figures often seem to made up as they go along. But today they've excelled themselves. I looked at my phone app which uses their data this morning and saw Aviva up about 8%. Odd. But then I remembered the approx price from yesterday and it was now lower than I recalled.

Switched on the PC and checked the Yahoo site and compared it to my spreadsheet and to my HYPTUSS sheet and also checked their graph. It had closed at 237.5 (I had checked prices a few hours after close) and opened at 232.7 and was now 234.4 yet it was claiming an 8.5% rise.

Digging around we find them claiming on their table of info a closing price of 216.10 - where on earth did they get that? Their own graphs never went anywhere near that. Did they fabricate a projected drop due to today being nominally the ex-div day? (the dividend has of course been cancelled so there should be no effect at all from that.)

Yes, 216.1 was the adjusted close, adjusted for splits and dividends. Their unadjusted closed was 237.5 and, indeed, if you take the 21.4p presumed ex-dividend today off of that you get the 216.1. You can see both at https://finance.yahoo.com/quote/AV.L/history?p=AV.L

You don't say which phone app you've got but it sounds like it's using the wrong close figure from Yahoo (unless it's trying to do a TR calculation....)

Return to “Financial Software - Discussion”