Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to eyeball08,Wondergirly,bofh,johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva, for Donating to support the site

HYPTUSS development

Discussions regarding financial software
Urbandreamer
Lemon Quarter

HYPTUSS development

Postby Urbandreamer » August 14th, 2020, 8:01 am

Hi kiloran and Itsallaguess,

I have a question about dividends obtained vie the Company data sheet and a suggestion for the next version.

I'm currently running b-m on Libra office with Stockipedia selected as the dividend source and have added the following to the Company data sheet.

Code: Select all

/equity/Civitas_Social_Housing_Plc,Civitas Social Housing Plc,CSH,Equity Investment Instruments,CSH

Which works fine for prices but doesn't download any yield info. It's not a big issue as I can use the Sharecast Web button to look it up and enter the values, but I wondered what I got wrong.

I'd also like to make a suggestion for an experimental feature for the next version.

Currently the FTSE and FTSE all are downloaded when you update, which makes benchmarking against those indexes very easy. If however what was downloaded could be obtained from the Parameters sheet then we could change that to benchmark against something else.

On this thread
search.php?keywords=benchmark&t=24769&sf=msgonly
Hiriskpaul suggested that people might want to use either iShares accumulating ETF SWDA (ISIN IE00B4L5Y983) or VWRL depending on their objectives..

Please let me know what you decide either way.

kiloran
Lemon Quarter

Re: HYPTUSS development

Postby kiloran » August 14th, 2020, 9:37 am

Urbandreamer wrote:Hi kiloran and Itsallaguess,

I have a question about dividends obtained vie the Company data sheet and a suggestion for the next version.

I'm currently running b-m on Libra office with Stockipedia selected as the dividend source and have added the following to the Company data sheet.

/equity/Civitas_Social_Housing_Plc,Civitas Social Housing Plc,CSH,Equity Investment Instruments,CSH

Which works fine for prices but doesn't download any yield info. It's not a big issue as I can use the Sharecast Web button to look it up and enter the values, but I wondered what I got wrong.

Doesn't look right to me. If I search Sharecast for "Civitas social", I get 3 responses:

CSH   https://www.sharecast.com/equity/Civitas_Social_Housing
CSHL  https://www.sharecast.com/equity/Civitas_Social_Housing_Plc
CSHC  https://www.sharecast.com/equity/Civitas_Social_Housing_C_Shs

You seem to have a mixture of the first two. I would guess that you need CSH, not CSHL
Sharecast shows Latest and Forecast yields of 4.8% for CSH

I'd also like to make a suggestion for an experimental feature for the next version.

Currently the FTSE and FTSE all are downloaded when you update, which makes benchmarking against those indexes very easy. If however what was downloaded could be obtained from the Parameters sheet then we could change that to benchmark against something else.

On this thread
search.php?keywords=benchmark&t=24769&sf=msgonly
Hiriskpaul suggested that people might want to use either iShares accumulating ETF SWDA (ISIN IE00B4L5Y983) or VWRL depending on their objectives..

I'll have to ponder this when I have a bit more time

--kiloran

absolutezero
Lemon Quarter

Postby absolutezero » August 14th, 2020, 11:12 am

Thanks for all the hard work you put into HYPTUSS. No mean feat!

One thing about the yields.

I'm looking at BP for my purposes here. All the forecast yields are coming in at the 9-10% mark but it's actually more like 5%.

Yahoo seems quickest to update its yields.
Is there are way of getting the forecast yields from Yahoo?

Urbandreamer
Lemon Quarter

Postby Urbandreamer » August 14th, 2020, 12:52 pm

[quote="kiloran"]
Doesn't look right to me. If I search Sharecast for "Civitas social", I get 3 responses:

CSH   https://www.sharecast.com/equity/Civitas_Social_Housing
CSHL  https://www.sharecast.com/equity/Civitas_Social_Housing_Plc
CSHC  https://www.sharecast.com/equity/Civitas_Social_Housing_C_Shs

You seem to have a mixture of the first two. I would guess that you need CSH, not CSHL
Sharecast shows Latest and Forecast yields of 4.8% for CSH
{/quote]

Many thanks, this worked.

/equity/Civitas_Social_Housing,Civitas Social Housing Plc,CSH,Equity Investment Instruments,CSH

kiloran
Lemon Quarter

Postby kiloran » August 24th, 2020, 3:39 pm

absolutezero wrote:Thanks for all the hard work you put into HYPTUSS. No mean feat!

I'm looking at BP for my purposes here. All the forecast yields are coming in at the 9-10% mark but it's actually more like 5%.

Sorry I'm a bit late responding to this.

We get Yahoo data from their API, which is unofficial and does not include forecast yields.

I had a quick look at the Yahoo web page https://finance.yahoo.com/quote/Bp.l and they have forward dividend and yield but seem to have (deliberately?) made it hard to scrape the data.
I've added this to my to-do list so I don't forget it. Can't make any promises at the moment.

I'll also add that Yahoo doesn't have a great reputation for quality of data, especially for non-USA stocks. Maybe they have improved. We'll perhaps find out if I manage to scrape some data for comparison

--kiloran

absolutezero
Lemon Quarter

Postby absolutezero » August 25th, 2020, 8:35 pm

kiloran wrote:
absolutezero wrote:Thanks for all the hard work you put into HYPTUSS. No mean feat!

Sorry I'm a bit late responding to this.

We get Yahoo data from their API, which is unofficial and does not include forecast yields.

I had a quick look at the Yahoo web page https://finance.yahoo.com/quote/Bp.l and they have forward dividend and yield but seem to have (deliberately?) made it hard to scrape the data.
I've added this to my to-do list so I don't forget it. Can't make any promises at the moment.

I'll also add that Yahoo doesn't have a great reputation for quality of data, especially for non-USA stocks. Maybe they have improved. We'll perhaps find out if I manage to scrape some data for comparison

--kiloran

Thanks for that.
I did try something myself using the stocks function in Excel (a new one on me) but it won't scrape the yield.
Bizarre. Such a standard value and they don't include it.

Out of interest, where DOES have an accurate forward yield? Sharecast has a few errors months after announcements (Aviva 9+%!).

uspaul666
2 Lemon pips

Postby uspaul666 » August 26th, 2020, 9:09 am

Thinking about it, there is no such thing as an ‘accurate‘ forward yield, only estimates or expectations. I think some providers skip providing even historic yield because is is, to some degree, subjective w.r.t. special dividends, currency conversions, etc.

kiloran
Lemon Quarter

Postby kiloran » August 26th, 2020, 2:56 pm

absolutezero wrote:Out of interest, where DOES have an accurate forward yield? Sharecast has a few errors months after announcements (Aviva 9+%!).

There are very few sources of forward yield, accurate or otherwise. I'm only aware of Sharecast and Yahoo. Morningstar used to provide data but they discontinued it some years ago, pleading that changes to financial regulations prevented them from publishing forecast data.

--kiloran

absolutezero
Lemon Quarter

Postby absolutezero » August 26th, 2020, 10:11 pm

kiloran wrote:
absolutezero wrote:Out of interest, where DOES have an accurate forward yield? Sharecast has a few errors months after announcements (Aviva 9+%!).

There are very few sources of forward yield, accurate or otherwise. I'm only aware of Sharecast and Yahoo. Morningstar used to provide data but they discontinued it some years ago, pleading that changes to financial regulations prevented them from publishing forecast data.

--kiloran

The dead hand of bureaucracy (no prizes for guessing where from!) strikes again.

torata
Lemon Slice

Postby torata » August 27th, 2020, 2:06 pm

While this thread is live, can I make a different request for the currency and amount to be separated in the amount column in the dividend tab (in libreoffice version).

Currently the currency is displayed through cell formatting as far as I can work out, so I'm unable to separate it out into it's own column (so that all dividends can converted to GBP)

I am grateful for the whole project, but this would be the cherry on the top

torata

kiloran
Lemon Quarter

Postby kiloran » August 27th, 2020, 7:42 pm

torata wrote:While this thread is live, can I make a different request for the currency and amount to be separated in the amount column in the dividend tab (in libreoffice version).

Currently the currency is displayed through cell formatting as far as I can work out, so I'm unable to separate it out into it's own column (so that all dividends can converted to GBP)

I am grateful for the whole project, but this would be the cherry on the top

torata

I remember you asking for this in the past and I could have sworn I'd added it to my list of things-to-think-about-on-a-rainy-day but I must have missed it. Sorry!
It's now definitely on my list

--kiloran

Return to “Financial Software - Discussion”