Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva,scotia,Anonymous,Cornytiv34, for Donating to support the site

Investment Trust Prem/Disc Data

Discussions regarding financial software
Tri2000

Investment Trust Prem/Disc Data

Postby Tri2000 » October 5th, 2020, 10:18 pm

Hi - I have been struggling for some time now trying to automate the collection of premium/discount information for a list of investment trusts into Excel or Sheets.

Can anyone point me towards a site that presents the data in a way it can be scraped? I am no expert in web scraping, so it may be some other technical issue which prevents me getting the data - most of the sites showing the required info hide it behind code that I don't believe is a true web page table. Other more friendly sites such as Yahoo do not show prem/disc data as far as I can see.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Itsallaguess
Lemon Half

Re: Investment Trust Prem/Disc Data

Postby Itsallaguess » October 6th, 2020, 6:16 am

Tri2000 wrote:
Hi - I have been struggling for some time now trying to automate the collection of premium/discount information for a list of investment trusts into Excel or Sheets.

Can anyone point me towards a site that presents the data in a way it can be scraped? I am no expert in web scraping, so it may be some other technical issue which prevents me getting the data - most of the sites showing the required info hide it behind code that I don't believe is a true web page table. Other more friendly sites such as Yahoo do not show prem/disc data as far as I can see.

Any help would be much appreciated.

The AIC website holds this information in a way that you should find fairly accessible.

Have a read of the instructions at the bottom of the post linked below, and see if that's something that might help -

https://www.lemonfool.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=31&t=25538

Please note that whilst the above instructions will deliver discount and premium information, the instructions as they stand purposely filter out all Investment Trusts that currently yield less than 3.5% (Step 6 in the linked instructions), and so you may wish to ignore that step if you're wanting to see a wider set of Investment Trusts listed.

Do also note that where Step 5 discusses the 'Data Points' and 'Additional Data Points' options, there may also be other data-points in those two areas that you're also interested in gaining visibility of for your own investigations.

Hope that helps.

Cheers,

Itsallaguess

torata
Lemon Slice

Re: Investment Trust Prem/Disc Data

Postby torata » October 7th, 2020, 11:29 am

Tri2000 wrote:Hi - I have been struggling for some time now trying to automate the collection of premium/discount information for a list of investment trusts into Excel or Sheets.

Hello Tri2000

I use google sheets to data scrape from a variety of sources.

Hargreaves lansdown have the premium/discount for ITs, but it's on an interactive tab.
However you can scrape the data. Using RIT as an example:

Cell a1: https://www.hl.co.uk/shares/shares-sear ... dinary-gbp

cell a2: =IMPORTHTML(A1, "table", 5)

I just clicked through the index numbers at the back and eventually hit arrived at 5, which gives you this set of numbers, populating into rows 2-6:
*Estimated NAV:* 1,981.50
*Latest actual NAV:* 1,946.00
*Latest actual NAV date:* 31 July 2020
*Premium/Discount:* -6.94%
*12m average Premium/Discount:* 0.80%

HTH
torata

Return to “Financial Software - Discussion”