Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva,scotia,Anonymous,Cornytiv34, for Donating to support the site

Migration of Microsoft Money to new pc

Discussions regarding financial software
MyNameIsUrl
Lemon Slice

Migration of Microsoft Money to new pc

Postby MyNameIsUrl » December 13th, 2020, 8:45 pm

I’ve been using Microsoft Money for many years on an XP pc, and now I need to migrate my data to a new Win10 laptop.

I use Money to store bank transactions so that I can analyse spending by category, and find historic transactions. I don’t do anything sophisticated such as budget planning, paying bills or investment portfolios.

Currently I have Money v12.0, and to get bank transactions into it I download a .ofx file from my online bank statement (Nationwide BS) then convert that to a .qif file using a free utility MT2OFX. This .qif file is then imported into Money using file>import.

Has anyone got any tips before I get bogged down in the migration? I’m expecting the main steps to be:
Download Money Sunset to new pc
Download MT2OFX
Download some test bank transactions in .ofx format
Convert .ofx to .qif and test import to Money, setting up test account as required
Once the update process is working, delete those test transactions/accounts
Copy .mny file to new laptop in the appropriate directory
Open Money and find all my data is there, including accounts, transactions, categories and subcategories

Looks simple in principle, but there will be detailed issues along the way I expect. Does anyone have any pointers or warnings for me please?

TurboukToo2

Re: Migration of Microsoft Money to new pc

Postby TurboukToo2 » December 14th, 2020, 7:41 am

I'm on Windows 10 using MS Money 2005 (UK Sunset version) and incrementally got here by upgrading from Vista and MS Money 2002 over the years.
I never bothered with test transactions first - I always used the MS Money backup file I created and restored that directly into the new version. Keep a copy in case of adverse behaviour so can start afresh if needed.

I did read some tweaks of the registry for windows 10 was required to have Sunset but that was not my experience - I found it worked straight away although navigation of each new version of MS Money is slightly different to the previous version so some re-adjustment on that front was required. 19 years of data across banking/reporting/portfolios and still stable. Just never be tempted to do an MS Money "Archive" - it breaks everything!

PrefInvestor
Lemon Slice

Postby PrefInvestor » December 14th, 2020, 10:27 am

MyNameIsUrl wrote:I’ve been using Microsoft Money for many years on an XP pc, and now I need to migrate my data to a new Win10 laptop.

I use Money to store bank transactions so that I can analyse spending by category, and find historic transactions. I don’t do anything sophisticated such as budget planning, paying bills or investment portfolios.

Currently I have Money v12.0, and to get bank transactions into it I download a .ofx file from my online bank statement (Nationwide BS) then convert that to a .qif file using a free utility MT2OFX. This .qif file is then imported into Money using file>import.

Looks simple in principle, but there will be detailed issues along the way I expect. Does anyone have any pointers or warnings for me please?

I have Money 2005 and I moved to Windows 10 not long after Windows 10 first came out in 2015. The problem that I had was that I had installed the 1105 patch on my old Windows 8 system and when I installed Money on Windows 10 I could not open my Money file as the file format had changed because of the patch - which could no longer be downloaded from anywhere (aargh !). Luckily I discovered a fix at one of the sites below and I have been working successfully since then.

These days the 1105 patch and many other resources are available at these sites:-

http://moneymvps.org/downloads/patches.aspx
http://moneymvps.org/faq/article/630.aspx
https://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en- ... orum=money

I am not familiar with the Money Sunset version, but I have read (in the above) that it will only open US format files, that might give you a problem. If it works then great but if not you might need to start of with your own version and upgrade it using the patches listed in the above.

No guarantees I'm afraid but there are far more resources available now than when I had my problems, so hopefully you will manage to get it working OK.

ATB

Pref

AF62
Lemon Quarter

Postby AF62 » December 14th, 2020, 3:51 pm

PrefInvestor wrote:I am not familiar with the Money Sunset version, but I have read (in the above) that it will only open US format files

Microsoft did release the last UK version as a free to use ‘sunset’ edition and it was available to download from their website. Unfortunately it is no longer available to download from Microsoft and only the US edition is available from their website.

The UK edition is still available from other sites on the internet if you look hard, but obviously your choice if you choose to trust them.

xeny
Lemon Slice

Postby xeny » March 12th, 2021, 11:26 am

AF62 wrote:
The UK edition is still available from other sites on the internet if you look hard, but obviously your choice if you choose to trust them.

Supposing you have this installer, while I appreciate you may not be able to or comfortable distributing it, might you be able to generate an MD5?

AF62
Lemon Quarter

Postby AF62 » March 12th, 2021, 11:46 am

xeny wrote:
AF62 wrote:

Supposing you have this installer, while I appreciate you may not be able to or comfortable distributing it, might you be able to generate an MD5?

f8d8cee3049f5411b660e456d1b69dec is from the copy I have and have been using for the last couple of years without issue.

Return to “Financial Software - Discussion”