Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva,scotia,Anonymous,Cornytiv34, for Donating to support the site

HYPTUSS - Forecast Dividend Issue

Discussions regarding financial software
seagles
Lemon Slice

Re: HYPTUSS - Forecast Dividend Issue

Postby seagles » February 14th, 2021, 10:48 am

seagles wrote:Tested latest "code" works as expected. Parameter list set to "latest yield" IMB shows correctly, MCT still shows ????, again as per code this is correct.

Suggestion for "future" upgrade that if sharecast returns n/a in latest yield that you check and use forecast yield and change colour to black (and visa-versa)? Also as sharecast has been seen to give "flaky" results for IT's to cut away from them and just use AIC for your source or something more reliable, Trustnet, Morningstar.....

Keep up the good work.

Got around to sitting down today and checking out how I could resolve MCT showing ??? Prior to changing any "code" I did some basic checks of Sharecast and found that Middlefield Income Trust is actually on Sharecast/webfg but the TIDM is shown as MCTL? Web search does not find any such TIDM that fits, so have assumed that Sharecast is actually wrong, IMO. either it should have been MCT.L or just MCT. Anyway have fired off an email to them. So before doing anything else will wait for them.....

I was wondering if your "oops" catchall could change the n/a to "0" and say green in colour, this would allow the yield/dividend calculation to work without the need to check web-site to see why the field is not populated with a "figure", just a thought. Either that or change the calculation code to ignore any TIDM with n/a? Just a thought.

Itsallaguess
Lemon Half

Postby Itsallaguess » February 14th, 2021, 12:01 pm

seagles wrote:
I was wondering if your "oops" catchall could change the n/a to "0" and say green in colour, this would allow the yield/dividend calculation to work without the need to check web-site to see why the field is not populated with a "figure", just a thought. Either that or change the calculation code to ignore any TIDM with n/a? Just a thought.

There's no easy solution to the yield-related issues caught with the 'oops' procedure, but I think I do prefer the current 'user-input-needed' process where the running-yield figure won't work properly if any of the expected individual yield-inputs has not returned a valid figure, as this at least brings the issue to the users attention first and foremost, and then also allows a 'user-led solution' to that particular 'what individual yield do you want to use here?' question, where a number of options clearly might exist by way of answering it...

So I think the current solution is still the best of a generally bad bunch of alternative approaches in terms of the general release, although I would understand if anyone capable of doing so might wish to make changes to that process if they're comfortable with an alternative solution.

Cheers,

Itsallaguess

seagles
Lemon Slice

Postby seagles » February 14th, 2021, 1:01 pm

Itsallaguess wrote:
There's no easy solution to the yield-related issues caught with the 'oops' procedure, but I think I do prefer the current 'user-input-needed' process where the running-yield figure won't work properly if any of the expected individual yield-inputs has not returned a valid figure, as this at least brings the issue to the users attention first and foremost, and then also allows a 'user-led solution' to that particular 'what individual yield do you want to use here?' question, where a number of options clearly might exist by way of answering it...

So I think the current solution is still the best of a generally bad bunch of alternative approaches in terms of the general release, although I would understand if anyone capable of doing so might wish to make changes to that process if they're comfortable with an alternative solution.

Cheers,

Itsallaguess

Sounds sensible. However, I did do a "simple" change that changed n/a and ??? to Zero and colour Green. Will wait on anything else to see if webfg change MCT ticker.

Code: Select all

If Sheets("High Yield Portfolio").Cells(rowsdown, 10) = "n/a" Then
                    Sheets("High Yield Portfolio").Cells(rowsdown, 10) = "0"
                    Sheets("High Yield Portfolio").Cells(rowsdown, 10).Font.ColorIndex = 10

End If

End If

' ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
        ' ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

oops:         ' This is the catch-all error handler now for the Sharecast "Forecast Yield" loop. If there's any problems, just put a "????" string in the yield cell and
              ' hopefully whatever the problem is can be sorted out by changing the data on the "Company Data Sheet", or a yield can be entered manually

' Check to make sure a forecast existed, and if not, highlight the cell to ensure the user manually finds a value to use

If gotit = 0 Or Sheets("High Yield Portfolio").Cells(rowsdown, 10) = "" Then
            Sheets("High Yield Portfolio").Cells(rowsdown, 10) = "0"
            Sheets("High Yield Portfolio").Cells(rowsdown, 10).Font.ColorIndex = 10

johnstevens77
Lemon Slice

Postby johnstevens77 » April 6th, 2021, 5:55 pm

I have n/a for Blackrock Throgmorton Trust, THRG. I can of course enter the yield manualy but thought that you should know. I am using version v11-71.

john

kiloran
Lemon Quarter

Postby kiloran » April 6th, 2021, 5:59 pm

johnstevens77 wrote:I have n/a for Blackrock Throgmorton Trust, THRG. I can of course enter the yield manualy but thought that you should know. I am using version v11-71.

john

And here's the reason: https://www.sharecast.com/equity/Blackr ... rton_Trust

Latest Yield = n/a, Forecast = 0%
Sadly, there's nowt we can do about that

--kiloran

johnstevens77
Lemon Slice

Postby johnstevens77 » April 7th, 2021, 5:53 pm

Thanks for that.

john

Itsallaguess
Lemon Half

Postby Itsallaguess » April 10th, 2021, 6:43 am

johnstevens77 wrote:
I have n/a for Blackrock Throgmorton Trust, THRG.

I can of course enter the yield manually but thought that you should know. I am using version v11-71.

Just in case you or others aren't aware John, there's a development version of the HYPTUSS tool available that will use 'AIC yields' for any Sharecast IT's that return a 'n/a' 'Forecast Yield' field, which works well for the THRG issue that you're having here and will automatically return a 1.2% yield for you in this instance -

Snapshot of automatic HYPTUSS yield data for THRG from the development version - https://i.imgur.com/hNMLeFH.png

Here's a link to the AIC page for THRG that's subsequently being used where Sharecast 'n/a' IT yield data is initially retrieved, which shows the 1.2% yield figure then being used by the tool - https://www.theaic.co.uk/companydata/0P00008ZQ8

This development version of the tool was specifically written to counter this 'n/a' issue that's unfortunately become an issue with some Sharecast yield data, and was highlighted on this thread earlier in the year -

https://www.lemonfool.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=27&t=27989

As mentioned in the above thread, both the Excel and Libre/Open-Office versions of this development version can be downloaded for testing from the following page -

http://lemonfoolfinancialsoftware.weebly.com/hyp_test_page.html

Please do note - the AIC yield data, if retrieved following the discovery of a Sharecast 'n/a' yield issue, will be stating a 'Current Yield' figure at that point, as the AIC site does not use 'Forecast Yield' data, but it's hoped that the continued useful automation of this process is enough of a benefit to overcome that minor issue where these sporadic issues are being experienced....

As this is a development version of the tool, any feedback from anyone testing it would be welcome, and if anyone is experiencing this 'n/a' yield issue and wants to give this development version a go, then it's probably a good time to remind people that a video is available that shows the relatively simple process that can be used to replicate portfolio holdings from one version of the HYPTUSS tool to another -

https://vimeo.com/232215342

Hope this helps, and also provides a reminder for anyone else that might wish to seek an automatic solution to the Sharecast 'n/a' yield-data issue if it's affecting any of their portfolio holdings.

Cheers,

Itsallaguess

Return to “Financial Software - Discussion”