Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva,scotia,Anonymous,Cornytiv34, for Donating to support the site

SharePad vs Stockopedia

Discussions regarding financial software
absolutezero
Lemon Quarter

Re: SharePad vs Stockopedia

Postby absolutezero » April 23rd, 2021, 12:48 pm

I use it.
I keep renewing my subscription.
Let's say that its screener has paid for itself many times over.

Midsmartin
Lemon Slice

Postby Midsmartin » April 23rd, 2021, 2:36 pm

I use Sharescope for my portfolios. It's the locally installed equivelant of Sharepad I suppose. It's about £300 pa with end of day data. I have portfolios for myself, my wife, ISAs, and outside ISAs. They combine into multi-portfolios showing all our investments, just mine, just our ISAs etc. Cash accounts are associated with each account, if only I kept them up to date. At the end of the year it tells you what your taxable capital gains are. Lovely. Plus I can view all the usual fundamental data, news and charts about my holdings. Want to visit a company's website? Just press ctrl-W in Sharescope & their page opens in my browser. Simple! I can redesign tables to display whatever I like. or export data to Excel at a click if I wish.

Stockopedia is probably better for filtering and finding stocks, but I like to keep Sharescope too. In part because of the hassle of migrating my portfolio data, because the others don't calculate CGT for me, and when I want to scan through fundamental data for things, it's much quicker than doing it on the web with all the waiting time that often entails.

Stockopedia has quite a nice phone app as well.

absolutezero
Lemon Quarter

Postby absolutezero » April 23rd, 2021, 8:29 pm

joey wrote:Thanks absolutezero. Do you know if you are able to group portfolios in the manner that I describe as per SharePad?

I'm not sure what you mean.
But in my Stockopedia, I have 3 portfolios.
HYP
ISA
Play

The ISA shares are also in the HYP (along with some others) but I have set them up as 3 separate portfolios.

Laughton
Lemon Slice

Postby Laughton » April 23rd, 2021, 9:56 pm

I'm a Stockopedia subscriber and have been for quite a few years now.
If I understand the OP then no, it won't do what you want.

Screening is what it is good at - and the discussion pages. There are a lot of wise heads on there who are worth taking note of.

I would have thought that for what you want to do then Excel would be perfect - and won't cost you anything.

I'm pretty sure that you can take out a free trial subscription - so don't take my word for it why not do that and try to make it do what you want.

Hypster
Lemon Slice

Postby Hypster » April 24th, 2021, 7:06 am

I am a Stockopedia subscriber currently, having moved over from SharePad.

I used to group portfolios in SharePad like you do. You can’t do that in Stockopedia.

For me, the main feature I like about Stocko is the StockReport: a ‘Company REFS’-style one-pager. Other great features are the screening tools and articles/blog posts.

I feel SharePad has the edge over the data and accounts. I could do a lot more custom analysis of the accounts such as creating my own metrics. Stockopedia’s data reports are fixed. However, since I moved over I find the StockReport gives me all I need.

I will be renewing my Stockopedia subscription when the time comes.

doug2500
Lemon Slice

Postby doug2500 » April 24th, 2021, 1:36 pm

I'm not sure if this would work or not but.....

Could you download your portfolios from stockopedia, amalgamate them in excel and then import them as one?

I've had a quick look and can't see how to import but you could on the old site?

Newroad
Lemon Quarter

Postby Newroad » May 2nd, 2021, 8:20 pm

Hi All.

In a similar vein, has anybody tried Stockcharts: https://stockcharts.com/ (or TradingView: https://uk.tradingview.com/, which I understand to be its most natural competitor)?

I have considered subscribing to Stockcharts - their free offering already has already proved very useful (some basic charting kept me from switching IT's when I otherwise was of a mind to). However, my needs are modest and the combination of their free offering* and what I can get out of II currently** seems more or less is enough for me. However, if their Portfolio Management functionality were decent, I might be further tempted.

When the time is right (which, for unrelated reasons, is early June for me) I might try the free month anyway!

Regards, Newroad

* the charting, in particular the RRG Relative Strength indicator

** critically, X-Ray functionality

yorkshirelad1
Lemon Slice

Postby yorkshirelad1 » May 3rd, 2021, 10:42 am

Thank you for starting this thread. It's very useful. I currently have none of these providers but an seriously thinking of subscribing to one of these services, so I am reading all the comments with interest.

Armorduck

Postby Armorduck » May 3rd, 2021, 9:10 pm

I've been using Stockopedia since 2013 but I intend to let my subscription lapse at the end of the year. Some of the things I used to use (screens) I very rarely use now. The discussion page can be useful/interesting. The stock summaries are very useful too. As others have said it is not very good for tracking portfolios. I use Excel and more recently Google sheets. Stockopedia educated me quite a but, but now I feel I know which metrics I'm most interested in, and want to give Sharepad a try as a comparison. Stockopedia irritated me by teasing with improvements that were in line to be offered, even in 2013, but never materialised e.g. measuring total return including dividends.

jaizan
Lemon Slice

Postby jaizan » May 13th, 2021, 10:10 pm

joey wrote:My main use case is for portfolio management rather than stock screening. I have four brokers with various general accounts, ISAs, LISA and SIPPs. What's nice about SharePad is that the portfolios can be aggregated into various configurations so I can have a view for e.g. taxable vs non-taxable, regardless of which broker the positions reside with. Obviously it can all be aggregated into one portfolio too.

I use Sharepad and Stockopedia, but the Stockopedia subscription will not be renewed this year. Sharepad has so much more functionality and the site is faster.

However, like you I need to keep track of multiple accounts -6 in the UK and one overseas. For this I use a Google sheet, which gets me live stock prices and can be configured to do whatever I need. Free of charge.

TheMotorcycleBoy
Lemon Quarter

Postby TheMotorcycleBoy » December 20th, 2021, 4:43 pm

I've joined this discussion a bit late....however I've been private investing for almost 4 years now, and so far have done my own analysis, and built up a large collection of spreadsheets. Being a computer guy as a profession has certainly helped as I've been able to build some decent templates and scripts which automate some of the work.

But I'm getting tired of transferring a lot of company data now to spreadsheets, and my time is becoming increasingly stretched, and the annual cost of a subscription seems less problematic of in terms of the time which I could save. So I'm now about minutes away from subscribing to Sharepad. Since I'm invested in UK, US and European stocks, this one is clearly better value than Stocko.

jaizan wrote:However, like you I need to keep track of multiple accounts -6 in the UK and one overseas. For this I use a Google sheet, which gets me live stock prices and can be configured to do whatever I need. Free of charge.

Hi jaizan,

If you are still around and have some time, can you possibly describe the above process? I thought one had to pay extra to receive live prices.

thanks Matt

ReformedCharacter
Lemon Quarter

Postby ReformedCharacter » December 20th, 2021, 4:53 pm

TheMotorcycleBoy wrote:I've joined this discussion a bit late....however I've been private investing for almost 4 years now, and so far have done my own analysis, and built up a large collection of spreadsheets. Being a computer guy as a profession has certainly helped as I've been able to build some decent templates and scripts which automate some of the work.

But I'm getting tired of transferring a lot of company data now to spreadsheets, and my time is becoming increasingly stretched, and the annual cost of a subscription seems less problematic of in terms of the time which I could save. So I'm now about minutes away from subscribing to Sharepad. Since I'm invested in UK, US and European stocks, this one is clearly better value than Stocko.

jaizan wrote:However, like you I need to keep track of multiple accounts -6 in the UK and one overseas. For this I use a Google sheet, which gets me live stock prices and can be configured to do whatever I need. Free of charge.

Hi jaizan,

If you are still around and have some time, can you possibly describe the above process? I thought one had to pay extra to receive live prices.

thanks Matt

Excuse me butting in, according to Google:

Real-time price data represents trades which execute on the NASDAQ and NYSE exchanges. Volume information, as well as price data for trades that don’t execute on those exchanges, are consolidated and delayed by 15 minutes

https://www.google.com/googlefinance/disclaimer/

I don't need live prices but find Google finance functions very handy.

https://support.google.com/docs/answer/3093281?hl=en-GB

RC

TheMotorcycleBoy
Lemon Quarter

Postby TheMotorcycleBoy » January 9th, 2022, 2:17 pm

I tried Sharepad, but cancelled after a couple weeks and got a refund. I couldn't hack the way that their DY and TTM PE datas for various of my stocks in my foli were somewhat out of line with those from google or yahoo. They (their support peeps), usually had (eventually) an answer, but I found the configuration a tad cluttered and for the GAW (games workshop) DY issue I found, they fessed up that it was a "data provider issue", but they couldn't fix it within 2 weeks or so.

I'm not paying for summat, that I'm needing to regular double check and report bugs on. And their price feed is a few minutes slower down than that from Google. Yes, that's pedantic, but again not something I'm happy to pay £324/year for.

It's also clear that they support team is somewhat oversubscribed. Least the support@ inbox is. In conclusion having Sharepad seemed to slow down rather than speed up my work flow.

Matt

Return to “Financial Software - Discussion”