Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva,scotia,Anonymous,Cornytiv34, for Donating to support the site

Jupyter Notebooks

Discussions regarding financial software
freewheeler

Jupyter Notebooks

Postby freewheeler » June 30th, 2021, 12:48 pm

Recently discovered something called Jupyter Notebooks. From <https://jupyter-notebook-beginner-guide.readthedocs.io/en/latest/what_is_jupyter.html>:
Notebook documents (or “notebooks”, all lower case) are documents produced by the Jupyter Notebook App, which contain both computer code (e.g. python) and rich text elements (paragraph, equations, figures, links, etc…). Notebook documents are both human-readable documents containing the analysis description and the results (figures, tables, etc..) as well as executable documents which can be run to perform data analysis.

In fact, notebooks (being a standardised format) are now supported by a bunch of applications other than the Jupyter Notebook App, and some of these support languages other than Python (e.g. R).

Google Colab supports Python notebooks. Here's one I developed to explore Jesse Livermore's Dec 2013 essay "The Single Greatest Predictor of Future Stock Market Returns": <https://colab.research.google.com/drive/1PkE07zbuCKykMcfBOzxlCwv2u5EumkX1?usp=sharing>
A Google sign-in is required to interact with the code, otherwise you just see a static view based on the last time I executed it.

I like that these notebooks can be easily published and support collaboration. Has anyone else had a chance to play?

moorfield
Lemon Quarter

Re: Jupyter Notebooks

Postby moorfield » July 1st, 2021, 2:15 pm

freewheeler wrote:I like that these notebooks can be easily published and support collaboration. Has anyone else had a chance to play?

I had a "play" with Jupyter & Python last year, but nothing more than that. Python programmers will probably prefer to use an IDE like PyCharm. Yes it seems to be a good publishing and collaboration tool, and I thought rather reminiscent of LaTex which was widely used by academics - I wrote a dissertation using that some 25+ years ago and probably spent more time "programming" the damn thing rather than thinking about its content. I wonder if Jupyter users will experience the same.

freewheeler

Postby freewheeler » July 2nd, 2021, 11:23 am

moorfield wrote:Python programmers will probably prefer to use an IDE like PyCharm.

Agreed, any coding that's even moderately complex is best done in an IDE (for debugging support, etc.). The leading IDEs (such as PyCharm and vscode) support Jupyter notebooks. Having said that, I was surprised by the level of assistance provided by the Google Colab editor.

MDW1954
Lemon Quarter

Postby MDW1954 » July 7th, 2021, 1:56 pm

I have "experimented" with Jupyter twice -- once when I was dabbling with the Julia language (the "Ju" in Jupyter), and once when I was experimenting with alterative Python IDEs (the "Py").

Both times I loathed the thing.

Thankfully, you can now get standalone Spyder as a Python IDE, which is what I use.

Most of my programming is these days done in R (the "er") in Jupyter, and I use RStudio and the basic R terminal. Mostly RStudio.

What isn't done in R is usually done in BASIC. Python I dabble with.

I am mentoring two PhDs, and neither of them get on with Jupyter particularly, either.

MDW1954

Return to “Financial Software - Discussion”