Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva,scotia,Anonymous,Cornytiv34, for Donating to support the site

HYTUSS_v11-74 not saving

Discussions regarding financial software
granretire
2 Lemon pips

Re: HYTUSS_v11-74 not saving

Postby granretire » July 22nd, 2021, 11:52 am

I do agree that it is much more likely to be an Excel problem. Having shut everything down and switched off, I decided to continue updating my latest sheetsheet. Opened the file to find (to my horror) that the top ribbon has disappeared (file, home, etc). Managed to get it by clicking on the cell in the top lh corner (above row numbers). Title at the very top of worksheet says 'Trial.xls [Compatibility Mode] - Microsoft Excel' (trial is the name I gave to the version I downloaded and have started to populate with my data).
Think the excessive hot weather (over 30 here in B'ham) is getting to it
Thanks again for your help

granretire
2 Lemon pips

Postby granretire » July 26th, 2021, 3:00 pm

Sorry, I'm back again!
After having created my new copy of v11-74 and updating it in stages, I am now having that annoying popup again about the workbook containing links to other sources (see my original post). Have you any suggestions how I can find where I have unknowingly done this? I vaguely think that the last sheet I updated was the watchlist, but I have deleted all my entries (bar one) using 'delete share' and I am still getting the popup. I update by selecting a column in the previous version, and copying it to the new (as per the instructions in the guide)

kiloran
Lemon Quarter

Postby kiloran » July 26th, 2021, 3:41 pm

granretire wrote:Sorry, I'm back again!

Absolutely no need to apologise!

granretire wrote:After having created my new copy of v11-74 and updating it in stages, I am now having that annoying popup again about the workbook containing links to other sources (see my original post). Have you any suggestions how I can find where I have unknowingly done this? I vaguely think that the last sheet I updated was the watchlist, but I have deleted all my entries (bar one) using 'delete share' and I am still getting the popup. I update by selecting a column in the previous version, and copying it to the new (as per the instructions in the guide)

Can you confirm that the fresh copy of 11.74 that you downloaded does not have the "update links" pop-up? You only get the pop-up after you have made some changes..... right?

I've had a good scrummage around the innards of 11.74 and can't find any links to other workbooks.
I'm not sure about your reference to "selecting a column in the previous version, and copying it to the new". Maybe it's just loose terminology but I think the update instructions refer to copying ranges of cells, not columns. In any case, I think it is unlikely that this would cause the problem you describe.

If you go to the Data menu in Excel, is the "Edit Links" greyed out? It is on my copy of 11.74. If it's not greyed out, click on it and you should see any links you might have set up to an external workbook. Select a link and click on Break Link. That should hopefully solve your problem, though would not explain how the link got there.... presumably from your copying process.

Hope this helps

--kiloran
Edit.... this may help: https://www.thespreadsheetguru.com/blog ... preadsheet

granretire
2 Lemon pips

Postby granretire » July 26th, 2021, 4:25 pm

Edit links is NOT greyed out. Link is to v11-73. Have broken the link and all appears to be OK. Many thanks for that suggestion. Not clear how v11-73 got involved at this stage - must be operator fingers :) - as I haven't gone back to that version since I generated v11-74 the first time when it was first released. And yes,the update links popup didn't appear till I had inserted extra companies in the data sheet, my list of tickers, numbers held. I had also run prices and yields, set up watch list again and obtained dividend dates. All these were done in stages with a save and close down, sometimes switchoff to try and pinpoint/stop the popup re-appearing.
At least I now know what to do if it re-appears! But still don't understand how it happened. The mysteries of Excel.

Return to “Financial Software - Discussion”