Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva,scotia,Anonymous,Cornytiv34, for Donating to support the site

Microsoft Money - Rights issue

Discussions regarding financial software
Sixtyone

Microsoft Money - Rights issue

Postby Sixtyone » September 29th, 2021, 11:05 am

How would I go about recording a nil paid rights issue in MS Money ?
I have Easyjet shares and tail swallowed, so presumably have to record a sale of some of the rights and purchase, but can't see how to do so and keep the P&L accurate.

Thanks

genou
Lemon Quarter

Re: Microsoft Money - Rights issue

Postby genou » September 30th, 2021, 2:10 pm

Sixtyone wrote:How would I go about recording a nil paid rights issue in MS Money ?
I have Easyjet shares and tail swallowed, so presumably have to record a sale of some of the rights and purchase, but can't see how to do so and keep the P&L accurate.

Thanks

I haven't done this in ages. I see what I did once was record a return of capital from the underlying ( to reduce base cost ), and then use that returned capital to purchase the nil-paid. Then sell the nil paid and use the cash to purchase the underlying. So you should end up with the correct cost for the continuing holding.

Does that make sense ?

Alternatively you could do a demerger ( which would adjust base costs on both the underlying and the rights ) to create the nil paid , and then sell them, and purchase Easyjet. I suspect I didn't go down that route as getting the demerger allocation of original costs correct is harder.

eventide
2 Lemon pips

Postby eventide » September 30th, 2021, 2:16 pm

Yup, MS Money does not handle options (ie rights issues) well. Here's how I would do it

In the account "Investment Transactions" page:

New transaction: "Add shares" (being the rights you received) on the ex-rights date. Add them at "x" price where "x" is difference between post rights EZJ price "y" and the rights subscription price "z". you'll have to create the new instrument for the rights (EZJ_R or something). This doesnt have an associated cash movement, which is per reality, and the apparent gain in the NAV of the account from the addition is matched by the fall in value of EZJ itself over the ex-rights date

New transaction: Sell the EZJ_R for £x, ie nil CG
New transaction: buy the EZJ ords for £y. Your net cash debit on the account will be y-x, which is z, the subscription price.

This isnt ideal for CGT so if you want the pool of EZJ to be correct for CGT, you can just buy the new EZJ shares at the subscription price and ignore the rights altogether (or book the rights in and out at 0 to remind yourself they were there). MS money doesn't do s104 (?) pooling at all so you have that issue to deal with either way.

littledavesab

Postby littledavesab » October 10th, 2021, 11:35 am

Hi interested that you mention Microsoft Money - I had the original version years ago and it was great. Still have the CD somewhere

Are you guys still using MS Money ?

pochisoldi
Lemon Slice

Postby pochisoldi » October 10th, 2021, 11:50 am

littledavesab wrote:Hi interested that you mention Microsoft Money - I had the original version years ago and it was great. Still have the CD somewhere

Money 2002 here - started with Money 99, upgraded to Money 2001, got involved with beta testing 2002 UK, submitted one fully documented bug report and got a copy of the finished product for free.

My data goes back to 1999, which allows things like working out the total cost of ownership of my last car (~£66,000 all in over 12.5years, most of which was fuel...)

I have no intention of moving onto anything else - imported data comes from QIF/OFX bank downloads (filtered by a script to standardise payees), and from a script which downloads share prices and gives me a private web page with the prices and an OFX file to download into Money.
Money runs on Windows 7 in a virtual machine with no internet access.

The mny and mbf files get automatically backed up to another computer overnight (if I remember to exit Money before hand).

Never attempted to run it on Windows 10 - my set up isn't broken, so I don't need to fix it...

AF62
Lemon Quarter

Postby AF62 » October 10th, 2021, 5:47 pm

littledavesab wrote:Hi interested that you mention Microsoft Money - I had the original version years ago and it was great. Still have the CD somewhere

Certainly am.

Started with the free version given away on Computer Shopper (I think) to promote Windows 95, then moved through the paid versions, and am still using the 'sunset' edition which Microsoft gave away free when it stopped updating it (around 2011 if I recall correctly).

Still works fine on Windows 10.

Sixtyone

Postby Sixtyone » October 11th, 2021, 10:51 am

MS Money ver 2 was the first app I ever bought and I’m now on the Sunset version. I only use a fraction of the functionality, and still find new functions that I wish I’d known about years ago. Reports give a great insight into spending patterns, but of course it depends on how you record the transactions.
Plus I use the Gaier add on to get live share prices.
Somebody has tested it on Win 11 and apparently all works ok, so hopefully it will carry on for a while yet.

Return to “Financial Software - Discussion”