Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to jfgw,Rhyd6,eyeball08,Wondergirly,bofh, for Donating to support the site

Malware blocking.

Discussions regarding financial software
Arborbridge
The full Lemon

Malware blocking.

Postby Arborbridge » May 9th, 2022, 8:43 am

When I go to "view dividends" in HYPTUSS 11-77 I find Malware blocks the process and closes the spread sheet with the following message:

The Malware report shows my various attempts being blocked:

This happens regardless of the dividend source. However, in my old HYPTUSS which I haven't updated from v11-74 this does not happen and the website (ADFVN) opens normally.

Any ideas? Does anyone else find thsi happens?

Arb.

kiloran
Lemon Quarter

Re: Malware blocking.

Postby kiloran » May 9th, 2022, 11:29 am

Hi Arb.
I suspect it's a false positive. I've seen this kind of problem from time to time with both the Excel and LibreOffice versions of HYPTUSS and check by submitting the file to https://www.virustotal.com/gui/home/upload to check the file against many antimalware systems. I've often found that a trivial change to HYPTUSS can overcome the apparent detection of a virus. I suspect that the mass of code in HYPTUSS contains some patterns or code elements which are similar to those found in some malware.

I checked version 11.77 and here are the results:
https://www.virustotal.com/gui/file/c56 ... ?nocache=1
It passed all tests on 40-odd AV testers including MalwareBytes

I suspect that the apparent problem will go away when MalwareBytes is next updated

--kiloran

Arborbridge
The full Lemon

Postby Arborbridge » May 9th, 2022, 12:28 pm

kiloran wrote:Hi Arb.
I suspect it's a false positive. I've seen this kind of problem from time to time with both the Excel and LibreOffice versions of HYPTUSS and check by submitting the file to https://www.virustotal.com/gui/home/upload to check the file against many antimalware systems. I've often found that a trivial change to HYPTUSS can overcome the apparent detection of a virus. I suspect that the mass of code in HYPTUSS contains some patterns or code elements which are similar to those found in some malware.

I checked version 11.77 and here are the results:
https://www.virustotal.com/gui/file/c56 ... ?nocache=1
It passed all tests on 40-odd AV testers including MalwareBytes

I suspect that the apparent problem will go away when MalwareBytes is next updated

--kiloran

Thank you for checking. If I really need to, I can open the dividend sites in an older version of HYPTUSS. I'm not sure what to do when I update all my HYPTUSSs if it does not correct itself. Does this not happen to you? or maybe you do not have Malwarebytes installed.

Arb.

kiloran
Lemon Quarter

Postby kiloran » May 9th, 2022, 12:44 pm

I have the free version of Malwarebytes which probably does not have all the features of your premium version. I scanned my files with MalwareBytes and it was 100% clean. I also ran version 11.77 to get dividends while MalwareBytes was active, and no problem.

If you go to the SETTINGS/ALLOW LIST in Malwarebytes, you may be able to fix the problem.
Also a trivial change such as saving HYPTUSS as .XLSM instead of .XLS may help. Here's a thread discussing similar problems: viewtopic.php?t=29945

--kiloran

Arborbridge
The full Lemon

Postby Arborbridge » October 4th, 2022, 7:37 am

kiloran wrote:I have the free version of Malwarebytes which probably does not have all the features of your premium version. I scanned my files with MalwareBytes and it was 100% clean. I also ran version 11.77 to get dividends while MalwareBytes was active, and no problem.

If you go to the SETTINGS/ALLOW LIST in Malwarebytes, you may be able to fix the problem.
Also a trivial change such as saving HYPTUSS as .XLSM instead of .XLS may help. Here's a thread discussing similar problems: viewtopic.php?t=29945

--kiloran

Oddly, this has just happened again, out of the blue. The trouble is - it always is "out of the blue" and as sudden and unexpected as falling over. I had rather forgotten about it as everything seemed to have been behaving recently.

But a lesson re-learned, because today Malware didn't just shut down the offending spreadsheet, but also another completely separate Excel file which I had been working on. It does it instantly with no chance to save, so this is a reminder to me to save my work when swapping from file to file - I've had to input the values I had working on a second time and wasted valuable morning brain time!

Arb.

Return to “Financial Software - Discussion”