Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to eyeball08,Wondergirly,bofh,johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva, for Donating to support the site

HYPTUSS Python error ?

Discussions regarding financial software
Smautf

HYPTUSS Python error ?

Postby Smautf » June 9th, 2022, 11:02 am

Hello,

The RB dividend which arrived this morning means that I have enough cash in my SIPP to make another purchase - so I dusted off my trusty Top Up spreadsheet and hit the "Get Prices" button.

It returned the following :

A Scripting Framework error occurred while running the Python script HypTopUp.py$getPriceSrc.

A similar note appears if I try the "Get Yields" button.

I haven't seen this one before !

I am running (I think) version b-o in Open Office on an Apple MacBook (2016).
The Open Office version is 4.1.12
The Mac OS is Monterey 12.4 - I think this is a fairly recent update, which may even have happened since I last opened HYPTUSS (it looks like the last time I saved it was on April 26th 2022).

I have downloaded HYPTUSS version b-s - but when I try to open that I get an error message saying that it was created by a newer version of Open Office, and it crashes when I try to update it !

Obviously, the whole set-up is a bit creaky, but it's worked OK for years and I'm really not sure why it's stopped now...

Any suggestions for a fix gratefully received.

Thanks so much,

Chris

torata
Lemon Slice

Re: HYPTUSS Python error ?

Postby torata » June 9th, 2022, 11:12 am

Chris

You may need to use Libre Office instead of Open Office.

torata

kiloran
Lemon Quarter

Postby kiloran » June 9th, 2022, 11:34 am

Smautf wrote:Hello,

The RB dividend which arrived this morning means that I have enough cash in my SIPP to make another purchase - so I dusted off my trusty Top Up spreadsheet and hit the "Get Prices" button.

It returned the following :

A Scripting Framework error occurred while running the Python script HypTopUp.py$getPriceSrc.

A similar note appears if I try the "Get Yields" button.

I haven't seen this one before !

I am running (I think) version b-o in Open Office on an Apple MacBook (2016).
The Open Office version is 4.1.12
The Mac OS is Monterey 12.4 - I think this is a fairly recent update, which may even have happened since I last opened HYPTUSS (it looks like the last time I saved it was on April 26th 2022).

I have downloaded HYPTUSS version b-s - but when I try to open that I get an error message saying that it was created by a newer version of Open Office, and it crashes when I try to update it !

Obviously, the whole set-up is a bit creaky, but it's worked OK for years and I'm really not sure why it's stopped now...

Any suggestions for a fix gratefully received.

Thanks so much,

Chris

I don't have a Mac so I can't comment on any potential problems with Mac OS.

I checked HYPTUSS version b-s on Windows 10 and OpenOffice Portable 4.1.11. I got the warning message about the document being created by a newer version of OpenOffice (wrong!) but declined the update. I was able to update prices without problem.

More generally, I no longer support OpenOffice for HYPTUSS (see page 2 of the User Guide). OpenOffice is just causing more problems, uses an old version of Python and is not well supported. It's simply not worth my effort to ensure that HYPTUSS works on both OpenOffice and LibreOffice so I just use LibreOffice, and check it on Windows and Linux.

I strongly recommend the use of LibreOffice instead

--kiloran

kiloran
Lemon Quarter

Postby kiloran » June 9th, 2022, 12:29 pm

Smautf wrote:The Mac OS is Monterey 12.4 - I think this is a fairly recent update, which may even have happened since I last opened HYPTUSS (it looks like the last time I saved it was on April 26th 2022).

kiloran wrote:I don't have a Mac so I can't comment on any potential problems with Mac OS.

I checked HYPTUSS version b-s on Windows 10 and OpenOffice Portable 4.1.11. I got the warning message about the document being created by a newer version of OpenOffice (wrong!) but declined the update. I was able to update prices without problem.

More generally, I no longer support OpenOffice for HYPTUSS (see page 2 of the User Guide). OpenOffice is just causing more problems, uses an old version of Python and is not well supported. It's simply not worth my effort to ensure that HYPTUSS works on both OpenOffice and LibreOffice so I just use LibreOffice, and check it on Windows and Linux.

--kiloran

I did a bit of googling and it appears that Monterey 12.4 does not support Python v2 (which is used by OpenOffice). It does support Python v3, which is used by LibreOffice, so hopefully a move to LibreOffice may fix your problem

--kiloran

Smautf

Postby Smautf » June 9th, 2022, 12:57 pm

kiloran wrote:
Smautf wrote:The Mac OS is Monterey 12.4 - I think this is a fairly recent update, which may even have happened since I last opened HYPTUSS (it looks like the last time I saved it was on April 26th 2022).

kiloran wrote:I don't have a Mac so I can't comment on any potential problems with Mac OS.

--kiloran

I did a bit of googling and it appears that Monterey 12.4 does not support Python v2 (which is used by OpenOffice). It does support Python v3, which is used by LibreOffice, so hopefully a move to LibreOffice may fix your problem

--kiloran

Hi Kiloran,

That's what I call going beyond the call of duty - thanks so much for looking into this.

I've downloaded LibreOffice and it looks good so far. And while I am spring cleaning, I am now also going to update to HYPTUSS version b-s before doing anything else !

Thanks again,

Chris

monabri
Lemon Half

Postby monabri » June 9th, 2022, 3:49 pm

RB is now RKT. Is that an issue?

Return to “Financial Software - Discussion”