Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to Rhyd6,eyeball08,Wondergirly,bofh,johnstevens77, for Donating to support the site

Converting HYPTUSS from Excel to Libre Office

Discussions regarding financial software
HillManMill
Lemon Pip

Converting HYPTUSS from Excel to Libre Office

Postby HillManMill » July 11th, 2022, 2:45 pm

As I have been having problems with my PC that runs excel I am thinking of converting my HYPTUSS from Excel to Libre Office. Has anyone done this and, if so, were any wrinkles found that might simplify the process. Maybe it is just easier to get a blank copy of HYPTUSS in libre office format and paste in my data? I would be grateful for any advice.

As I customise my HYPTUSS, for example by adding conditional formatting and date stamping when I run the update prices macros I am wondering if converting my customised HYPTUSS might provide a better starting point so avoiding rewriting in Libre Office.

TIA

kiloran
Lemon Quarter

Re: Converting HYPTUSS from Excel to Libre Office

Postby kiloran » July 11th, 2022, 3:27 pm

Transferring your customised formats from Excel to LibreOffice sounds like a risky process. LO does a reasonable job opening an Excel spreadsheet, but the more bells and whistles you have in Excel, the greater the risk of a problem occuring, perhaps a problem you might not notice.
I would start with a fresh copy of the LO HYPTUSS, copy and paste the share symbols and quantities from Excel to LO, and other data such as the FTSE-HYP tracking, Snapshots, etc, then define your conditional formatting etc from within LO

Good Luck!

--kiloran

TUK020
Lemon Quarter

Postby TUK020 » July 11th, 2022, 6:12 pm

HillManMill wrote:As I have been having problems with my PC that runs excel I am thinking of converting my HYPTUSS from Excel to Libre Office. Has anyone done this and, if so, were any wrinkles found that might simplify the process. Maybe it is just easier to get a blank copy of HYPTUSS in libre office format and paste in my data? I would be grateful for any advice.

As I customise my HYPTUSS, for example by adding conditional formatting and date stamping when I run the update prices macros I am wondering if converting my customised HYPTUSS might provide a better starting point so avoiding rewriting in Libre Office.

TIA

Switched to Libre Office when I moved from a MS PC to Linux Mint
Only customisation was an extra tab for totting up shareholdings in different accounts, which was easy enough to copy across.
Overall very happy with the outcome - considerably better performance on a much less powerful machine. Key difference is not needing antivirus which gums everything up. I suspect the move from MS to Linux is much more significant than Excel to Libre Office.

HillManMill
Lemon Pip

Postby HillManMill » July 11th, 2022, 9:20 pm

kiloran wrote:Transferring your customised formats from Excel to LibreOffice sounds like a risky process. LO does a reasonable job opening an Excel spreadsheet, but the more bells and whistles you have in Excel, the greater the risk of a problem occuring, perhaps a problem you might not notice.
I would start with a fresh copy of the LO HYPTUSS, copy and paste the share symbols and quantities from Excel to LO, and other data such as the FTSE-HYP tracking, Snapshots, etc, then define your conditional formatting etc from within LO

Good Luck!

--kiloran

Yep, thanks. I figured things like conditional formatting would be likely to be a problem. I also link HYPTUSS to another excel spreadsheet with macros that tracks buys, sells and dividend history. So I'll do some poking around with LO to understand a little more how it works with conditional formatting and macros before committing to the big move.

MDW1954
Lemon Quarter

Postby MDW1954 » July 13th, 2022, 11:34 pm

HillManMill wrote:
kiloran wrote:Transferring your customised formats from Excel to LibreOffice sounds like a risky process. LO does a reasonable job opening an Excel spreadsheet, but the more bells and whistles you have in Excel, the greater the risk of a problem occuring, perhaps a problem you might not notice.

Good Luck!

--kiloran

Yep, thanks. I figured things like conditional formatting would be likely to be a problem. I also link HYPTUSS to another excel spreadsheet with macros that tracks buys, sells and dividend history. So I'll do some poking around with LO to understand a little more how it works with conditional formatting and macros before committing to the big move.

I support a LibreOffice user with some formatting help. Most things are possible, I've found, but aren't as easy or straightforward as in Excel.

That said, my view is that LibreOffice is great for users who don't need to exchange data with the corporate world. After some initial pain, you probably won't notice the difference.

MDW1954

HillManMill
Lemon Pip

Postby HillManMill » July 14th, 2022, 10:10 am

MDW1954 wrote:I support a LibreOffice user with some formatting help. Most things are possible, I've found, but aren't as easy or straightforward as in Excel.

That said, my view is that LibreOffice is great for users who don't need to exchange data with the corporate world. After some initial pain, you probably won't notice the difference.

MDW1954

Thanks.

Yep I have been using Libre Office Writer for some time as you say its pretty much all there its just a case of remembering where to find it. The thing that's making me hesitate is macros. I link the HYPTUSS to my own spreadsheets which also have macros and conditional formatting. My thought was that there will be quite a few wrinkles when I convert my spreadsheet!

All the Excel - Libre Office Calc all driven by a problem with my PC where the screen goes blank after the machine has been on for a while whilst the machine continues to work. My suspicion is that the graphics chip or something graphics related is overheating. I have had the back off it and will upgrade the fan to see if that solves. Ho hum.

kiloran
Lemon Quarter

Postby kiloran » July 14th, 2022, 10:25 am

HillManMill wrote:Yep I have been using Libre Office Writer for some time as you say its pretty much all there its just a case of remembering where to find it. The thing that's making me hesitate is macros.

LibreOffice macros are certainly not as slick as Excel VBA, and the API is very different. If you want to use Star Basic, this is more or less the standard reference: https://www.pitonyak.org/OOME_3_0.pdf though there is a lot more help out there. Forget recording macros, the LO capability is very poor.

Personally, I prefer to program macros using Python. It's faster and slicker (especially for web scraping), but there is no IDE for Python in LO.

--kiloran

HillManMill
Lemon Pip

Postby HillManMill » July 16th, 2022, 10:21 am

kiloran wrote:LibreOffice macros are certainly not as slick as Excel VBA, and the API is very different. If you want to use Star Basic, this is more or less the standard reference: https://www.pitonyak.org/OOME_3_0.pdf though there is a lot more help out there. Forget recording macros, the LO capability is very poor.

Personally, I prefer to program macros using Python. It's faster and slicker (especially for web scraping), but there is no IDE for Python in LO.

--kiloran

Kiloran, many thanks Have done some simple stuff with Python in my dim and distant. But it sounds that I would need to do a fair bit of skill building as part of any migration to LO.

I have tried a couple of hardware mods on my PC [new case fan and made more space around the graphics card] to see if it fixes the overheating problem.

Return to “Financial Software - Discussion”