Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to Wasron,jfgw,Rhyd6,eyeball08,Wondergirly, for Donating to support the site

HYPTUSS update versions 11.82 and b-v

Discussions regarding financial software
kiloran
Lemon Quarter

HYPTUSS update versions 11.82 and b-v

Postby kiloran » May 9th, 2023, 10:26 am

Following problems with Yahoo discussed here: viewtopic.php?f=27&t=38834
HYPTUSS has been updated to versions 11.82 (excel) and b-v (LibreOffice). It is available here: http://lemonfoolfinancialsoftware.weebl ... op-up.html

The changes:
  1. There are a number of Yahoo sources for stock prices. The source using the Yahoo API v7 currently has a problem, so we have added the v6 API which is still working. HYPTUSS now uses the v6 API as default, but the v7 version can be selected in cell B12 of the Parameters sheet.
  2. ADVFN have recently changed the layout of their web pages so dividend retrieval from ADVFN no long works. ADVFN has been removed from the list of dividend sources on the Parameters sheet. This will be fixed when I have time
  3. Investegate have also had recent problems, so the RNS function now just goes to the main Investegate page. This will hopefully also be fixed when Investegate functionality stabilises

This has been a quick, minimal effort fix, my time on issues like this is currently very limited. When things settle down, I'll look at more elegant solutions. The User Guide has not been updated (no time for it).
By the way, the implementation is different to that that described by Itsallaguess at: viewtopic.php?p=587459#p587459 . The suggested v10 solution did not cover similar Yahoo problems on the Tracking sheet or the Dividends sheet. It may be a better long-term solution but the fix we have put in required less effort for now.

Many thanks for the help from Itsallaguess for the Excel version, and to mc2fool for suggesting the v6 API

--kiloran

funduffer
Lemon Quarter

Re: HYPTUSS update versions 11.82 and b-v

Postby funduffer » May 10th, 2023, 7:27 am

Thank you for this.

Is there any chance someone could take a look at Eventide's Excel addin, tlfaddin, on the Miscellaneous Tools part of the Lemon Fool Financial Software web page?

http://lemonfoolfinancialsoftware.weebl ... neous.html

This codes the getdata function for scraping share prices, and is remarkably useful and is embedded in a number of my portfolio spreadsheets.

I can see the offending line of code in the VBA:

Const URLheader = "https://query1.finance.yahoo.com/v7/finance/quote?symbols="

....but I am not competent to know how to update it and incorporate into my Excel!

FD

Itsallaguess
Lemon Half

Postby Itsallaguess » May 10th, 2023, 7:49 am

funduffer wrote:
Is there any chance someone could take a look at Eventide's Excel addin, tlfaddin, on the Miscellaneous Tools part of the Lemon Fool Financial Software web page?

http://lemonfoolfinancialsoftware.weebl ... neous.html

This codes the getdata function for scraping share prices, and is remarkably useful and is embedded in a number of my portfolio spreadsheets.

Probably best for a separate thread on the above, so I've provided some instructions on the new thread below -

'getdata' Excel add-in (Yahoo API manual fix process) -

https://www.lemonfool.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=27&t=39094

Cheers,

Itsallaguess

Arborbridge
The full Lemon

Postby Arborbridge » May 10th, 2023, 8:12 am

kiloran wrote:Following problems with Yahoo discussed here: viewtopic.php?f=27&t=38834
HYPTUSS has been updated to versions 11.82 (excel) and b-v (LibreOffice). It is available here: http://lemonfoolfinancialsoftware.weebl ... op-up.html

The changes:
  1. There are a number of Yahoo sources for stock prices. The source using the Yahoo API v7 currently has a problem, so we have added the v6 API which is still working. HYPTUSS now uses the v6 API as default, but the v7 version can be selected in cell B12 of the Parameters sheet.
  2. ADVFN have recently changed the layout of their web pages so dividend retrieval from ADVFN no long works. ADVFN has been removed from the list of dividend sources on the Parameters sheet. This will be fixed when I have time
  3. Investegate have also had recent problems, so the RNS function now just goes to the main Investegate page. This will hopefully also be fixed when Investegate functionality stabilises

This has been a quick, minimal effort fix, my time on issues like this is currently very limited. When things settle down, I'll look at more elegant solutions. The User Guide has not been updated (no time for it).
By the way, the implementation is different to that that described by Itsallaguess at: viewtopic.php?p=587459#p587459 . The suggested v10 solution did not cover similar Yahoo problems on the Tracking sheet or the Dividends sheet. It may be a better long-term solution but the fix we have put in required less effort for now.

Many thanks for the help from Itsallaguess for the Excel version, and to mc2fool for suggesting the v6 API

--kiloran

A thousand thanks to your and the others who contributed. Without you all continuing this effort, the outlook would be difficult. Actually, might force a quite different style of investing....

Arb.

Arborbridge
The full Lemon

Postby Arborbridge » May 26th, 2023, 9:15 am

I ran the lates HYPTUSS this morning, and I notice the prices have failed to download.

I guess others must have found the same.

Arb.

monabri
Lemon Half

Postby monabri » May 26th, 2023, 9:42 am

Arborbridge wrote:I ran the lates HYPTUSS this morning, and I notice the prices have failed to download.

Arb.

Yes.

kiloran
Lemon Quarter

Postby kiloran » May 26th, 2023, 10:57 am

Arborbridge wrote:I ran the lates HYPTUSS this morning, and I notice the prices have failed to download.

Arb.

Both v6 and v7 versions of the Yahoo finance API are now failing.
I'm working on adding the v10 version. Hopefully release this weekend

--kiloran

AJC5001
Lemon Slice

Postby AJC5001 » May 26th, 2023, 2:10 pm

kiloran wrote:Both v6 and v7 versions of the Yahoo finance API are now failing.

--kiloran

A few questions:-

Is this just an update to the Parameters sheet to include V10 as well as the current V6 & V7 or does it require more detailed coding changes?

If V6 and V7 are not working, is it worthwhile removing them? Is it likely V6 and/or V7 will spring back to life in the future?

Is it possible that there will be a V11 at some point in the future? Could this be included?

I have seen the suggestion that Yahoo may restrict the use of the API in the future. Is this likely?

Please don't let answering these interfere with your working on adding the V10 API :)

Adrian

kiloran
Lemon Quarter

Postby kiloran » May 26th, 2023, 3:26 pm

AJC5001 wrote:
kiloran wrote:Both v6 and v7 versions of the Yahoo finance API are now failing.

--kiloran

A few questions:-

Adrian

Is this just an update to the Parameters sheet to include V10 as well as the current V6 & V7 or does it require more detailed coding changes?
No, it's a much more fundamental change. Significant changes to the coding.
If V6 and V7 are not working, is it worthwhile removing them? Is it likely V6 and/or V7 will spring back to life in the future?
I'll leave v6 and v7 in there for the moment until we get some sort of stability from Yahoo
Is it possible that there will be a V11 at some point in the future? Could this be included?
There does appear to be a v11 API but I've enough on my plate implementing v10 without spending time investigating v11
I have seen the suggestion that Yahoo may restrict the use of the API in the future. Is this likely?
No idea if this is fact or rumour, but I will be looking at an alternative to Yahoo just in case
Please don't let answering these interfere with your working on adding the V10 API :)
Too late! And depending on the result of the EFL Championship play-off final tomorrow, I may be wildly celebrating or drowning my sorrows, which might cause a BIG delay

--kiloran

uspaul666
2 Lemon pips

Postby uspaul666 » May 27th, 2023, 9:35 am

Many many thanks for all this.
An aside: I don't know how many people just use the get prices button or how many, like me, always get dividends *and* prices every time I open the spreadsheet but it might be an option to pick up the market price from the sharecast page when getting the yield/pe/cover figures since it's already sitting there. plus getting the price and the yield figures from the same place might make the yield figure more accurate if they are calculating it from historic/forecast dividend amounts. You should keep the yahoo prices grab for those who wish to get a fast up-to-date valuation.

Return to “Financial Software - Discussion”