Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to Wasron,jfgw,Rhyd6,eyeball08,Wondergirly, for Donating to support the site

Update to Simple Yahoo Price Scrape

Discussions regarding financial software
kiloran
Lemon Quarter

Update to Simple Yahoo Price Scrape

Postby kiloran » May 27th, 2023, 8:54 am

This has been updated to version 1.4 (Excel) and 1.7 (LibreOffice) at:
http://lemonfoolfinancialsoftware.weebl ... crape.html

It now defaults to use v10 of the Yahoo Finance API, following recent problems with v6 and v7.

Note that v10 may be slower than v6/v7. v6/v7 retrieved prices for all shares with a single data query. v10 is fundamentally different requiring a separate data query for each share. Unless you have many hundreds of shares, you won't see a massive difference in speed.

I'm still working on updating HYPTUSS to v10

--kiloran

GPhelan
Lemon Pip

Re: Update to Simple Yahoo Price Scrape

Postby GPhelan » May 27th, 2023, 10:43 am

I see in Stackoverflow someone has pasted a notice from Yahoo saying they have disabled finance API's because the data they publish is not licenced for redistribution. Some hope resides in mention of acquiring the required, more expensive licences when they better understand the uses. There is also a lot of recent chat and code (some on GitHub written in R!) about a change requiring the APIs to use Cookies. It is all rather beyond my current skills.
https://stackoverflow.com/questions/760 ... lid-cookie

Thank you for your work on this
Gerard

PeteHutch

Postby PeteHutch » May 28th, 2023, 1:25 pm

kiloran wrote:This has been updated to version 1.4 (Excel) and 1.7 (LibreOffice) at:

It now defaults to use v10 of the Yahoo Finance API, following recent problems with v6 and v7.

Note that v10 may be slower than v6/v7. v6/v7 retrieved prices for all shares with a single data query. v10 is fundamentally different requiring a separate data query for each share. Unless you have many hundreds of shares, you won't see a massive difference in speed.

--kiloran

Just downloaded and tried out 1.7(libreoffice). It's working!

Thanks. Much appreciated.

GrahamPlatt
Lemon Quarter

Postby GrahamPlatt » July 23rd, 2023, 5:20 pm

kiloran wrote:This has been updated to version 1.4 (Excel) and 1.7 (LibreOffice) at:

--kiloran

Hi Kiloran,

Given the recent failure of HYPTUS scraping Yahoo and your move to another source, I imagined that there'd be a new simple price scrape. And I find there is - v1.8. Unfortunately, it doesn't seem to work: On clicking the update button, the symbols (still labelled "Yahoo") remain, but Last Price and Currency columns get wiped (no matter whether there's a .L suffix or not). Or maybe 1.8 is one that passed me by and hasn't had the move from Yahoo fix.

Regards

kiloran
Lemon Quarter

Postby kiloran » July 23rd, 2023, 6:28 pm

GrahamPlatt wrote:

--kiloran

Hi Kiloran,

Given the recent failure of HYPTUS scraping Yahoo and your move to another source, I imagined that there'd be a new simple price scrape. And I find there is - v1.8. Unfortunately, it doesn't seem to work: On clicking the update button, the symbols (still labelled "Yahoo") remain, but Last Price and Currency columns get wiped (no matter whether there's a .L suffix or not). Or maybe 1.8 is one that passed me by and hasn't had the move from Yahoo fix.

Regards

Patience!!! ;)
All my time is spent on HYPTUSS, I have not yet had time to work on all the other tools that get (got!) data from Yahoo

--kiloran

GrahamPlatt
Lemon Quarter

Postby GrahamPlatt » July 24th, 2023, 6:58 am

kiloran wrote:Patience!!! ;)
All my time is spent on HYPTUSS, I have not yet had time to work on all the other tools that get (got!) data from Yahoo

--kiloran

Sorry. I'm not grumbling - au contraire - i am very grateful for your efforts. This was intended as feedback. I thought v 1.7 was the latest release unitl the complete Yahoo API shutdown happened. So when I checked and saw there was a v 1.8, I imagined that was issued subsequently. Apparently not.
No worries.

Return to “Financial Software - Discussion”