Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to Wasron,jfgw,Rhyd6,eyeball08,Wondergirly, for Donating to support the site

trouble with Excel and HYPTUSS

Discussions regarding financial software
Arborbridge
The full Lemon

trouble with Excel and HYPTUSS

Postby Arborbridge » June 11th, 2023, 10:48 am

I'm reluctant to call for help as this seems quite difficult to explain.....

At present I cannot use my usual PC so I am reduced to a laptop with a more recent version of Excel which runs my saved HYPTUSS in "compatability mode". As far as I can tell, the Excel version calls itself "Excel 2010" and my original file is 2003. It will function, but cannot save.

To get round this, I downloaded the latest HYPTUSS, added some ITs and ran the spreadsheet. This saves OK. I then copied and pasted three shares from my HYP, added the number of shares and ran the get the prices. All OK and this also saved.

I then had a working HYp for my ITs, and one for the ITs plus three company shares. (Just to note, I run ITs and shares on separate spreadsheets).

Now the task was to add all my ordinary shares and delete the ITs. I added three more ordinary shares and the holding quantity. Now the spreadsheet refuses to save

I've tried adding via the "add" button or adding just one share, but thatr makes no difference.

I am really bugged by this. How is it I can save my ITs plus three shares, but when I add more in the same way, I cannot save it?

I guess the fundamental problem is that my laptop has a version of Excel which is not compatible, but as it's a later version than my PC which is positively ancient, I thought it would be more likely to run.

Any workarounds would be useful, but when all said and done, it only means a limited time before I can run the pc again.

mc2fool
Lemon Half

Re: trouble with Excel and HYPTUSS

Postby mc2fool » June 11th, 2023, 11:49 am

Arborbridge wrote:Now the spreadsheet refuses to save

Can you elucidate on exactly what you mean by that and what happens?

Is it that the Save button and/or menu item is greyed out and so not-clickable? Or...
Does it appear to save but actually doesn't? Or...
Does it pop up a message saying, Hell no, I refuse to save that? Or.........................................

And does Save As work ok?

monabri
Lemon Half

Postby monabri » June 11th, 2023, 1:19 pm

I use Excel 2010 with HYPTUSS so it's not that! You should ( should) be able to copy all your shareholdings into HYPTUSS and use Excel 2010.

I'm thinking file names (.xls v xlsx) ie 32bit v 64bit?

Rename your current HYPTUSS to something like HYPTUSS OLD in file manager. Open it in compatibility mode.

https://vimeo.com/538274793 (video by IAAG)

Open up a new version of HYPTUSS and copy the holdings from HYPTUSS OLD....and save as HYPTUSS NEW.

Plan B
How about downloading Libre Office as a last resort? :idea:

Arborbridge
The full Lemon

Postby Arborbridge » June 11th, 2023, 3:41 pm

mc2fool wrote:
Arborbridge wrote:Now the spreadsheet refuses to save

Can you elucidate on exactly what you mean by that and what happens?

Is it that the Save button and/or menu item is greyed out and so not-clickable? Or...
Does it appear to save but actually doesn't? Or...
Does it pop up a message saying, Hell no, I refuse to save that? Or.........................................

And does Save As work ok?

I've had another go and had a little qualified success by pasting three of four shares at a time, saving; downing prices; saving. I've managed to save the file each time until I reach the final three: ULVR, AZN and DGE.
When these are pasted, together or singly, and I try to save I receive an error message which says Errors were detected in the file. I'm given a choice of fixing the errors (unspecified) and saving. If I give the go ahead, the program attempts to fix the errors and save, but each time ends up saying the file could not be saved.

I've tried adding these shares using the HYPTUSS "add share" facility, but this results in the same error message.

Save as is no different.

I think I might try a new HYPTUSS with only ULVR,AZN and DGE and see what happens.

Arborbridge
The full Lemon

Postby Arborbridge » June 11th, 2023, 3:52 pm

monabri wrote:I use Excel 2010 with HYPTUSS so it's not that! You should ( should) be able to copy all your shareholdings into HYPTUSS and use Excel 2010.

I'm thinking file names (.xls v xlsx) ie 32bit v 64bit?

Rename your current HYPTUSS to something like HYPTUSS OLD in file manager. Open it in compatibility mode.

https://vimeo.com/538274793 (video by IAAG)

Open up a new version of HYPTUSS and copy the holdings from HYPTUSS OLD....and save as HYPTUSS NEW.

Plan B
How about downloading Libre Office as a last resort? :idea:

I can.t see the file extensions - didn't they used to display under "properties"? Anyway, it saves as Excel 1997-2003. I've pasted the share codes in the usual way, but it seems the final three ULVR, TATE, DGE are the ones causing trouble.

I've no idea about Libre Office, or what it is - though I know people have mentioned it here. My last resort is waiting until I have use of my PC again!

monabri
Lemon Half

Postby monabri » June 11th, 2023, 4:53 pm

Arborbridge wrote:I can.t see the file extensions - didn't they used to display under "properties"? Anyway, it saves as Excel 1997-2003. I've pasted the share codes in the usual way, but it seems the final three ULVR, TATE, DGE are the ones causing trouble.

I've no idea about Libre Office, or what it is - though I know people have mentioned it here. My last resort is waiting until I have use of my PC again!

In File Manager, right click on any of the column names (Name, date modified, type,size) and it will bring up another menu as shown. Scroll to file extension and select.

Libre Office is a suite of software programmes which are an alternative to MS Office. The spreadsheet is called "Calc". There is a specific HYPTUSSversion for calc. It is very similar to the Excel version in layout and operation.

Arborbridge
The full Lemon

Postby Arborbridge » June 11th, 2023, 5:07 pm

monabri wrote:
Arborbridge wrote:I can.t see the file extensions - didn't they used to display under "properties"? Anyway, it saves as Excel 1997-2003. I've pasted the share codes in the usual way, but it seems the final three ULVR, TATE, DGE are the ones causing trouble.

In File Manager, right click on any of the column names (Name, date modified, type,size) and it will bring up another menu as shown. Scroll to file extension and select.

Libre Office is a suite of software programmes which are an alternative to MS Office. The spreadsheet is called "Calc". There is a specific HYPTUSSversion for calc. It is very similar to the Excel version in layout and operation.

Thanks for the hint on extensions - I'd completely forgotten, having not needed it for years. They are being saved as .xls files.

What I've done since the last post was opened a fresh HYPTUSS and added AZN DGE and ULVR. They have run for prices and been saved. Now weirdly, I have two copies, one with every share except these three, and one with with just the three.
A strange thing, but at least I now can have a record of the prices on a given date, which is all I needed.

Quite why the first freshly downloaded spreadsheet would not allow me to add and save these shares is a mystery.

Anyhow, probably no point in worrying further - I have what I need until my PC is available. I will keep the libre office idea on the back burner for the moment. Might need it when we are forced into W11.

Return to “Financial Software - Discussion”