Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to Wasron,jfgw,Rhyd6,eyeball08,Wondergirly, for Donating to support the site

HYPTUSS Python Issue in Libre Office

Discussions regarding financial software
Smautf

HYPTUSS Python Issue in Libre Office

Postby Smautf » September 24th, 2023, 10:59 am

Hello,

I've been getting the spinning rainbow wheel of doom while using my customised HYPTUSS (based on version b-u) for a while, so yesterday I moved over version c-b in an attempt to sort it out.

But clicking "Get Prices" returns the following error :

While clicking "Get Yields" returns the following very similar but not identical error :

I am running an up-to-date version of Libre Office (7.5.6.2) on a 2022 MacBook Air (OS Ventura 13.5.2).

Any guidance on how to fix this would be much appreciated !

Thanks,

Chris

GrahamPlatt
Lemon Quarter

Re: HYPTUSS Python Issue in Libre Office

Postby GrahamPlatt » September 24th, 2023, 1:29 pm

I got a “can’t compute” sort of message just using the simple-scrape yesterday. Something to do with being unable to run due to a python dependency. Iimagine it’s my problem, as the scrape was working fine, but I upgraded (new install) to Linux Mint - Victoria. Python3 is present. Perhaps I need an earlier version of Python?

kiloran
Lemon Quarter

Postby kiloran » September 24th, 2023, 1:53 pm

Smautf wrote:Hello,

I've been getting the spinning rainbow wheel of doom while using my customised HYPTUSS (based on version b-u) for a while, so yesterday I moved over version c-b in an attempt to sort it out.

I am running an up-to-date version of Libre Office (7.5.6.2) on a 2022 MacBook Air (OS Ventura 13.5.2).

Any guidance on how to fix this would be much appreciated !

Thanks,

Chris

I don't have any experience of MacOS so this might take some time to sort out.
With "Update Prices", do you have the same problem when getting prices from SharePrices (see cell B4 on the Parameters sheet)

--kiloran

kiloran
Lemon Quarter

Postby kiloran » September 24th, 2023, 1:57 pm

GrahamPlatt wrote:I got a “can’t compute” sort of message just using the simple-scrape yesterday. Something to do with being unable to run due to a python dependency. Iimagine it’s my problem, as the scrape was working fine, but I upgraded (new install) to Linux Mint - Victoria. Python3 is present. Perhaps I need an earlier version of Python?

I managed to screw up my version of Linux Mint so I won't be able to look at this until tomorrow.
I wonder if the update to Victoria has messed up the "libreoffice script provider python"?

To enable Libreoffice Python macros to work:
◇ sudo add-apt-repository ppa:libreoffice/ppa
◇ sudo apt-get update
◇ sudo apt-get upgrade
◇ sudo apt install libreoffice
◇ sudo apt install libreoffice-script-provider-python

I know this was needed for Ubuntu, can't remember if it was needed for Mint

--kiloran

Smautf

Postby Smautf » September 25th, 2023, 11:28 am

With "Update Prices", do you have the same problem when getting prices from SharePrices (see cell B4 on the Parameters sheet)

--kiloran

Hi Kiloran,

Thanks so much for looking at this - prices update perfectly after I switch to SharePrices.

Yours,

Chris

kiloran
Lemon Quarter

Postby kiloran » September 25th, 2023, 11:33 am

Smautf wrote:

--kiloran

Hi Kiloran,

Thanks so much for looking at this - prices update perfectly after I switch to SharePrices.

Yours,

Chris

Thanks for the feedback. I'll look at the differences in code between the SharePrices and Yahoo price retrieval. They should both work. They do on my system, but I guess Mac OS is different in some way

--kiloran

kiloran
Lemon Quarter

Postby kiloran » September 25th, 2023, 12:43 pm

kiloran wrote:
GrahamPlatt wrote:I got a “can’t compute” sort of message just using the simple-scrape yesterday. Something to do with being unable to run due to a python dependency. Iimagine it’s my problem, as the scrape was working fine, but I upgraded (new install) to Linux Mint - Victoria. Python3 is present. Perhaps I need an earlier version of Python?

I managed to screw up my version of Linux Mint so I won't be able to look at this until tomorrow.
I wonder if the update to Victoria has messed up the "libreoffice script provider python"?

◇ sudo apt-get update
◇ sudo apt-get upgrade

--kiloran

I installed a fresh copy of LinuxMint Victoria to a Virtual Machine and HYPTUSS failed due to a Python dependency. I ran the sudo commands described above in a Terminal window, and it now works fine

--kiloran

GrahamPlatt
Lemon Quarter

Postby GrahamPlatt » September 25th, 2023, 4:24 pm

kiloran wrote:
kiloran wrote:I managed to screw up my version of Linux Mint so I won't be able to look at this until tomorrow.

◇ sudo apt-get update
◇ sudo apt-get upgrade

--kiloran

I installed a fresh copy of LinuxMint Victoria to a Virtual Machine and HYPTUSS failed due to a Python dependency. I ran the sudo commands described above in a Terminal window, and it now works fine

--kiloran

Just wondering, but why that 4th step, install libreoffice, when it is already installed?

kiloran
Lemon Quarter

Postby kiloran » September 25th, 2023, 4:35 pm

GrahamPlatt wrote:
kiloran wrote:I installed a fresh copy of LinuxMint Victoria to a Virtual Machine and HYPTUSS failed due to a Python dependency. I ran the sudo commands described above in a Terminal window, and it now works fine

--kiloran

Just wondering, but why that 4th step, install libreoffice, when it is already installed?

Sorry, I just did a copy/paste without putting my brain in gear. A reinstall of LibreOffice isn't necessary, it was just there to ensure LibreOffice was up-to-date

--kiloran

kiloran
Lemon Quarter

Postby kiloran » October 2nd, 2023, 3:39 pm

Smautf wrote:
--kiloran

Hi Kiloran,

Yours,
Chris

I've looked at the differences between the SharePrices code and the Yahoo code. When I developed version c-b I had to use some new code to get Yahoo prices. I've worked on this and now use the same code for SharePrices and Yahoo.
Can you have a look at the test version c-c-dev1,ods at https://lemonfoolfinancialsoftware.weeb ... _page.html and let me know if it works for Yahoo and Shareprices? Try it about 10 times.... there's a random element to it with 5 possible options.

--kiloran

Return to “Financial Software - Discussion”