Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to Wasron,jfgw,Rhyd6,eyeball08,Wondergirly, for Donating to support the site

Spending Tracking Software - Replacement for Money Dashboard

Discussions regarding financial software
GPhelan
Lemon Pip

Re: Spending Tracking Software - Replacement for Money Dashboard

Postby GPhelan » October 6th, 2023, 7:11 pm

Quicken 2002 Deluxe still works for me on Windows 10. I have no comparability issues, but I did have to turn off the registration prompt.
Thanks to Kiloran and his many iterations of share/fund price import utilities I developed my own Excel VBA utility to obtain the prices, indices and exchange rate for my portfolio, write them in a Quicken compatible format and then import them to the Quicken Portfolio using the import prices option.

That still works, but the recent demise of the Yahoo finance interface means some of the data transfer now incorporates an extra copy/paste step in Excel which adds a few minutes into the weekly import - that it until I can be bothered to incorporate his new technology.

swill453
Lemon Half

Postby swill453 » October 9th, 2023, 12:37 pm

GPhelan wrote:Quicken 2002 Deluxe still works for me on Windows 10. I have no comparability issues, but I did have to turn off the registration prompt.

If you don't mind me asking, how did you do that?

I use Quicken 2000, and every so often it says I can't use it without registering. If I cancel the dialogue box a couple of times it lets me carry on, until the next time. It would be good to disable it completely.

Scott.

GPhelan
Lemon Pip

Postby GPhelan » October 9th, 2023, 2:12 pm

It was 9 years since I installed Quicken on my then new Windows 8 Desktop computer, so I do not remember exactly what I did. However I have a screen capture from a Motley Fool forum discussing Quicken and a pencil note saying that it is what I did. I cannot attach a JPG file here, so here is a transcription of the brief instructions.

Press the Ctrl+Shift keys on your keyboard
Select the Online menu > One Step Update
Click OK on the "You will no longer be prompted for registration message"

Good luck!

swill453
Lemon Half

Postby swill453 » October 9th, 2023, 3:13 pm

GPhelan wrote:Press the Ctrl+Shift keys on your keyboard
Select the Online menu > One Step Update
Click OK on the "You will no longer be prompted for registration message"

Good luck!

Thanks but that doesn't seem to work with my version. Holding Ctrl+Shift doesn't affect what the menu options do.

Scott.

GPhelan
Lemon Pip

Postby GPhelan » October 9th, 2023, 8:10 pm

Hmm, that is the trouble with partial transcriptions.
The previous line reads "If you are receiving a prompt to register Quicken you can turn off the prompt".
It may be that context is important such that the CTRL+SHIFT only does something when you are seeing that registration prompt. Sadly my brief note to myself 9 years ago does not say anything other than that I used CTRL+Shift

PeteHutch

Postby PeteHutch » October 16th, 2023, 6:19 pm

GPhelan wrote:Quicken 2002 Deluxe still works for me on Windows 10. I have no comparability issues, but I did have to turn off the registration prompt.
Thanks to Kiloran and his many iterations of share/fund price import utilities I developed my own Excel VBA utility to obtain the prices, indices and exchange rate for my portfolio, write them in a Quicken compatible format and then import them to the Quicken Portfolio using the import prices option.

That still works, but the recent demise of the Yahoo finance interface means some of the data transfer now incorporates an extra copy/paste step in Excel which adds a few minutes into the weekly import - that it until I can be bothered to incorporate his new technology.

You might want to have a look at this thread

https://www.lemonfool.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=27&t=40368

Kiloran's latest version of the Simple Price Scrape spreadsheet can scrape prices from Yahoo again.

forgotusername
Lemon Pip

Postby forgotusername » October 17th, 2023, 4:52 pm

I have been using Quicken for many years, initially on a Windows PC, then running in a virtual machine on My iMac. When Intuit refocussed on business customers, I switched to the Mac version. I use Quicken 2017 Version 4.8.6 (Build 48.20336.100). It works fine but lacks automatic updates from my bank. That's not an issue for me.
I keep track of multiple accounts (19 at the moment), credit cards, savings and other assets. It's handy to be able to reconcile these against statements to ensure nothing slips through the net.
It may have been intended to record dollars but it's decimal just like the £ and works well.

Return to “Financial Software - Discussion”