Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to eyeball08,Wondergirly,bofh,johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva, for Donating to support the site

How Britain is changing

A virtual pub for off topic, light hearted pub related banter and discussion. No trainers

Will the UK change?

The UK WILL be a changed place after this virus outbreak is over.
32%
Don't be silly. It'll be different for a while but we'll soon fall back to the way it was before.
68%

Total votes: 56

UncleEbenezer
The full Lemon

Re: How Britain is changing

Postby UncleEbenezer » April 8th, 2020, 10:48 pm

Snorvey wrote:A Channel 4 programme just finished suggested that, after the virus, the UK will be a far more sociable place. We'll help each other more. Things will be fairer and we'll appreciate the low paid essential services, from carers to bin men much more.

We'll holiday at home and shop more locally in smaller shops.

Lot of wishful thinking from the class we used to call Guardian Readers. It might have the opposite effect: you provoke Daily Mail attitudes by taking people for granted, and taxing them to pay for others to have things they'll never be able to afford for themselves. We have a strong and partially-true narrative now about generational unfairness, which could lead to a serious loss of public support for some of the things we do for pensioners and which might be strongly reinforced by current events, both covid and brexit, that damage younger folks' life prospects.

The most interesting outcome could be to open debate on allowing zombies to die once their life is over. It's the inevitable outcome society has been in Denial about over the "crisis in care". Focus care resources on those who still have capacity to benefit from it!

Boldly, they also suggested that the tradional party of small state government will change forever into the exact opposite.

They were firmly on that path before covid. But "forever" is nonsense: we can't predict where they'll be in another generation.

kiloran
Lemon Quarter

Postby kiloran » April 8th, 2020, 11:37 pm

Snorvey wrote:A Things will be fairer and we'll appreciate the low paid essential services, from carers to bin men much more.

Oddly enough, I thought I heard the binmen this morning so looked out the front window, to see a lass from a few doors down the road run out of her house and give the binman a box of biscuits. A nice thought.

Hope it doesn't catch on too much or the binmen will never finish their rounds :)

--kiloran

servodude
Lemon Half

Postby servodude » April 9th, 2020, 12:09 am

kiloran wrote:
Snorvey wrote:A Things will be fairer and we'll appreciate the low paid essential services, from carers to bin men much more.

Oddly enough, I thought I heard the binmen this morning so looked out the front window, to see a lass from a few doors down the road run out of her house and give the binman a box of biscuits. A nice thought.

Hope it doesn't catch on too much or the binmen will never finish their rounds :)

--kiloran

Is your binman Robin Askwith?

didds
Lemon Half

Postby didds » April 9th, 2020, 8:50 am

Snorvey wrote:A Channel 4 programme just finished suggested that, after the virus, the UK will be a far more sociable place. We'll help each other more. Things will be fairer and we'll appreciate the low paid essential services, from carers to bin men much more.

We'll holiday at home and shop more locally in smaller shops.

Boldly, they also suggested that the tradional party of small state government will change forever into the exact opposite.

.....But will it all change?

"They" said all that after the 2012 OLympics too...

didds

terminal7
Lemon Quarter

Postby terminal7 » April 9th, 2020, 8:56 am

Let's hope that the cliché use of 'Guardian readers' and 'Daily Mail readers' to make comments diminishes post the Flood.

T7

tjh290633
Lemon Half

Postby tjh290633 » April 9th, 2020, 9:53 am

terminal7 wrote:Let's hope that the cliché use of 'Guardian readers' and 'Daily Mail readers' to make comments diminishes post the Flood.

T7

Maybe the entrenched views of Guardianistas and Mail addicts will become more tolerant of others' views.

TJH

terminal7
Lemon Quarter

Postby terminal7 » April 9th, 2020, 11:30 am

entrenched

Oh dear me - no change there then.

T7

gryffron
Lemon Quarter

Postby gryffron » April 9th, 2020, 11:52 am

Snorvey wrote:we'll appreciate the low paid essential services, from carers to bin men much more.

We might appreciate them. But I don't see why we would pay them any extra.

No-one is paid what they are "worth". ALL staff are paid what they would cost to replace. Simple supply and demand. (With a couple of exceptions due to union closed shops - Fire Brigade and Train drivers I'm looking at you). Since low skilled labour is easy to replace, we don't pay them very much. I don't see any reason why that will change. Indeed, in the private sector it cannot change, since the higher paying employers would go out of business.

Gryff

didds
Lemon Half

Postby didds » April 9th, 2020, 11:59 am

gryffron wrote:
Snorvey wrote:we'll appreciate the low paid essential services, from carers to bin men much more.

We might appreciate them. But I don't see why we would pay them any extra.

No-one is paid what they are "worth". ALL staff are paid what they would cost to replace. Simple supply and demand. (With a couple of exceptions due to union closed shops - Fire Brigade and Train drivers I'm looking at you). Since low skilled labour is easy to replace, we don't pay them very much. I don't see any reason why that will change. Indeed, in the private sector it cannot change, since the higher paying employers would go out of business.

Gryff

Totally agree Gryff.

_maybe_ what this has highlighted is what we already know... the likes of medical clinicians and therapists still need to get a degree (or maybe anotrher apprenetice style system reintroduced some day etc) so are not "unkilled" workers, yet even after several years of working are still not at the level of salary required of immigrants under new government plans/guidelines etc.

didds

Bubblesofearth
Lemon Quarter

Postby Bubblesofearth » April 9th, 2020, 1:34 pm

gryffron wrote:We might appreciate them. But I don't see why we would pay them any extra.

Gryff

After WW2, when many young men gave their lives for their country, there were some pretty radical social changes that had the, at least temporary, effect of reducing the rich/poor divide. It's not impossible we could see something along those lines via the tax system.

Certainly the NHS should be strengthened, again something that WW2 had a part in the formation of.

I'm by no means left-wing but there is always a balance to be struck when it comes to Gini.

BoE

PinkDalek
Lemon Half

Postby PinkDalek » April 9th, 2020, 1:52 pm

Bubblesofearth wrote:... there is always a balance to be struck when it comes to Gini.

I'm always willing to be enriched, educated and sometimes amused but at least I now know of a Corrado Gini. A nearly apt forename for these times it would appear.

Clitheroekid
Lemon Quarter

Postby Clitheroekid » April 13th, 2020, 9:59 pm

I suspect the aftermath will be a rather larger version of being done for speeding - careful driving and constant checking of one's speed for a week or two, then back to being Mr Toad! ;)

Return to “Beerpig's Snug”