Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to MrFahrenheit,SalvorHardin,Anonymous,johnhemming,Anonymous, for Donating to support the site

Beerpig's Snug No Politics Coronavirus Thread

A virtual pub for off topic, light hearted pub related banter and discussion. No trainers
Wuffle
2 Lemon pips

Re: Beerpig's Snug No Politics Coronavirus Thread

Postby Wuffle » July 10th, 2020, 9:23 am

The hospitality industry have been filling in mandated forms about food standards for years.
Generating a full contact list at, let us say short notice is not going to phase anyone with 20 minutes experience in the industry!
And god bless zico, but intercepting people LEAVING Wetherspoons - I would pay to watch.

W.

dealtn
Lemon Quarter

Postby dealtn » July 10th, 2020, 9:27 am

zico wrote:Am I missing something here, or is this absolutely barking mad? Isn't the aim to restart the hospitality economy while minimising the risk to people of catching Covid?

No. It's economic only. Other Government policies may be to do with healthcare, and Covid specifically, but this isn't one of them.

Itsallaguess
Lemon Half

Postby Itsallaguess » July 10th, 2020, 9:36 am

zico wrote:
I visited a cafe that had a supposed "track and trace" system which worked as follows -

a) Give customer a piece of paper with the cafe's email address.

b) Ask customer to email them in their own good time, and then if there's an outbreak, the cafe will of course contact everyone who visited them, and also use their psychic powers to contact the customers who didn't email them.

Unfortunately for the "system", I stuffed the piece of paper in my pocket, then threw it away later.

Threw it away?

I've got to point out that having read much of what you've had to say regarding the on-going virus situation, it's a shame that the very high standards that you regularly expect of others doesn't seem to have actually applied to you on this occasion...

Cheers,

Itsallaguess

zico
Lemon Quarter

Postby zico » July 10th, 2020, 11:10 am

Itsallaguess wrote:[
Threw it away?

I've got to point out that having read much of what you've had to say regarding the on-going virus situation, it's a shame that the very high standards that you regularly expect of others doesn't seem to have actually applied to you on this occasion...

Cheers,
Itsallaguess

Yes, you're quite right and I was wrong. I've now found out the cafe's email and sent in my details. I actually threw the paper away by accident, but even so, it was wrong not to find their email address.
Thanks for pointing it out and encouraging me to do the right thing.

simoan
Lemon Slice

Postby simoan » July 10th, 2020, 11:38 am

zico wrote:Am I missing something here, or is this absolutely barking mad? Isn't the aim to restart the hospitality economy while minimising the risk to people of catching Covid?

Surely the offer is no different to the kind of Monday to Thursday discounts the restaurants would normally give anyway as an occasional promotion? It's just that they are not having to discount because the government is paying the £10. Without understanding the psychology behind this kind of offer it may not make sense.

It is based on the fact that many people taking up the offer and sitting in the restaurant will feel because they've been given £10 and they're out having a good time after being locked down for months that they'll spend that tenner on a bottle of wine, a round of cocktails etc. Of course, we all know where restaurants really make their money, and it's not on food... it's those bottles of wine and cocktails with 400-500% markup!

I think it's a really clever thing to do, but you'd maybe need to understand the darker arts of marketing to see through it. Many people now feel like they've got a tenner sitting in their pocket. Of course, they haven't really, but they won't want to lose it and the lure of spending it will be too much for millions of people. Not me though :-)

All the best, Si

Bouleversee
Lemon Quarter

Postby Bouleversee » July 10th, 2020, 12:20 pm

I've just seen a news flash saying that the head of WHO says the pandemic is accelerating, the no. of cases having doubled in the last 6 weeks. Perhaps too soon to celebrate.

simoan
Lemon Slice

Postby simoan » July 10th, 2020, 12:21 pm

Bouleversee wrote:I've just seen a news flash saying that the head of WHO says the pandemic is accelerating, the no. of cases having doubled in the last 6 weeks. Perhaps too soon to celebrate.

Personally, I don't know anyone that's celebrating... Do you?

All the best, Si

Bouleversee
Lemon Quarter

Postby Bouleversee » July 10th, 2020, 12:25 pm

No, I don't, but it would seem that plenty of drunken idiots are.

Mike4
Lemon Slice

Postby Mike4 » July 10th, 2020, 1:02 pm

Bouleversee wrote:I've just seen a news flash saying that the head of WHO says the pandemic is accelerating, the no. of cases having doubled in the last 6 weeks. Perhaps too soon to celebrate.

This is a vast improvement given back in March the cases were doubling every three days.

tjh290633
Lemon Quarter

Postby tjh290633 » July 10th, 2020, 2:04 pm

zico wrote:TJH

No, you had to put it in the box provided as you left. Name, contact number, time of arrival and departure and table number.

TJH

Was there somebody stopping people from leaving unless a completed form was put in the box? If not, the system doesn't work.

Yes, a person was monitoring both entrance and exit, to ensure compliance.

TJH

Itsallaguess
Lemon Half

Postby Itsallaguess » July 10th, 2020, 2:08 pm

zico wrote:
I've now found out the cafe's email and sent in my details.

It was the right thing to do - well done..

Cheers,

Itsallaguess

dealtn
Lemon Quarter

Postby dealtn » July 10th, 2020, 2:35 pm

Bouleversee wrote:No, I don't, but it would seem that plenty of drunken idiots are.

Celebrating what? I doubt many are celebrating the end of Covid. If anything they are celebrating being allowed to drink in public again, or see friends again, or just having a good time.

I very much doubt there are more "drunken idiots" out and about, celebrating or not, compared to pre-Covid, Unfortunately as we return to normal, some of the worst features of that normal will manifest themselves too, but personally I feel that's a price worth paying for that (gradual) return to normality.

Lootman
Lemon Half

Postby Lootman » July 10th, 2020, 3:03 pm

sunnyjoe wrote:
Lootman wrote:There are extra steps if the deceased is to be cremated since that rules out a later post-mortem. Typically a second doctor has to sign the form.

A fee used to be charged (still is?). Doctors called this "ash cash"

That's right. The second doctor doesn't have to know the patient at all. They just review the documentation and sign the form.

And we did used to pay them in cash from a segregated pool of funds. It may not literally be cash any more but I feel sure it is still referred to as "ash cash". It was a nice little earner for some doctors who always made it known they were available for this duty.

genou
Lemon Slice

Postby genou » July 11th, 2020, 3:40 pm

Lootman wrote:It was a nice little earner for some doctors who always made it known they were available for this duty.

Poor form. mumble years ago in the Glasgow hospitals the cremmy money was pooled and funded the New Year parties.

redsturgeon
Lemon Half

Postby redsturgeon » July 12th, 2020, 10:04 am

https://medium.com/the-atlantic/covid-1 ... 801eb78871

An interesting article looking at why death rises might not be following rises in actual cases.

John

johnhemming
Lemon Quarter

Postby johnhemming » July 12th, 2020, 10:46 am

The article is in many ways another example of how what is a scientific question is viewed through a lens of partisan political bias. Taking its points

1. Deaths lag cases — and that might explain almost everything.

This is foolish. Cases are almost entirely driven by the question of how many tests are taken and who is tested. When someone tests positive for the disease that is almost certainly not on the day they got the disease. Hence unless you are very careful about the populations being tested it is really difficult to find out what is going on.

The mistake they make in the article is to assume that the day on which we find out someone is infected is the date they are infected.

The best and most timely measure of trends is hospital admissions. The UK government appear to have stopped publishing these as the last date published is 1st July and has remained as such for at least a few days.

2. Expanded testing is finding more cases, milder cases, and earlier cases.

This is a bit more rational, but contradicts their point 1.

3. The typical COVID-19 patient is getting younger.

If you are finding people who are asymptomatic you will find more younger people. Previously a lot of people had the infection, but no-one knew.

4. Hospitalized patients are dying less frequently, even without a home-run treatment.

5. Summer might be helping — but probably only a little bit.

Because of summer people will get a letter initial viral load and hence are less likely to suffer severely/die. This will change in the winter.

servodude
Lemon Quarter

Postby servodude » July 12th, 2020, 10:57 am

They have also been changing the admission criteria for hospitals; which is what they attribute a good deal of the improving recovery rate for admissions in the UK.
If (and it's quite likely) things do get a bit more "busy" again in the future, you might find a quick jump in stats, as the triage reverts to emergency methods.
It's a bloody noisy data set.

Stay well
-sd

servodude
Lemon Quarter

Postby servodude » July 12th, 2020, 11:00 am

genou wrote:
Lootman wrote:It was a nice little earner for some doctors who always made it known they were available for this duty.

Poor form. mumble years ago in the Glasgow hospitals the cremmy money was pooled and funded the New Year parties.

Yes! I thought this line of chat was ringing bells; my dad always used to mention he'd contributed over dinner.

-sd

johnhemming
Lemon Quarter

Postby johnhemming » July 12th, 2020, 11:13 am

servodude wrote:They have also been changing the admission criteria for hospitals; which is what they attribute a good deal of the improving recovery rate for admissions in the UK.
If (and it's quite likely) things do get a bit more "busy" again in the future, you might find a quick jump in stats, as the triage reverts to emergency methods.

This obviously could be a factor. However, it remains that notwithstanding admitting people to hospital at a lower threshold that the number of admissions is going down. If they were admitting people at a higher threshold it would, of course, be a different issue.

dealtn
Lemon Quarter

Postby dealtn » July 12th, 2020, 12:26 pm

servodude wrote:They have also been changing the admission criteria for hospitals; which is what they attribute a good deal of the improving recovery rate for admissions in the UK.

Stay well
-sd

If (and it's quite likely in my opinion) things do get a bit more "busy" again in the future...

I think that's what you meant.

Return to “Beerpig's Snug”