Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to eyeball08,Wondergirly,bofh,johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva, for Donating to support the site

Get out - yer not eatin' !

A virtual pub for off topic, light hearted pub related banter and discussion. No trainers
AleisterCrowley
Lemon Half

Get out - yer not eatin' !

Postby AleisterCrowley » November 27th, 2020, 9:53 pm

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-55109932
Drinkers visiting pubs in tier two regions will have to leave when they finish eating, under new restrictions being introduced from 2 December, No 10 has confirmed.
Yeah, that's going to work...
I expect the sales of unwanted sweet courses and cheeseboards will increase. And how long can you linger over that last chip?

"Another pint please Dave"
"Have you finished eating?"
"No I've still got that solitary garlic mushroom in the bowl over there- my passport to beer nirvana"

UncleEbenezer
The full Lemon

Re: Get out - yer not eatin' !

Postby UncleEbenezer » November 27th, 2020, 10:06 pm

Haven't visited a pub since March :cry: Neither to eat nor to drink. Lunch at a help-out-to-eat-outside cafe is the nearest I've come.

Guess if I do, I should jump on the bike (or make a several-hour walk of it) and cross the Tamar into the Land of (relative) Freedom. There's a pretty decent pub right on the river - and on the free side of it - just a few miles away, and it's sufficiently obscure that it's unlikely to collect emmets from plague-ridden lands.

AleisterCrowley
Lemon Half

Postby AleisterCrowley » November 27th, 2020, 10:14 pm

I've crossed the Tamar many times - but not to escape draconian laws. I used to like the trip to Mount Edgumbe via the Cremyll ferry (??) possibly , long time ago

UncleEbenezer
The full Lemon

Postby UncleEbenezer » November 27th, 2020, 10:29 pm

AleisterCrowley wrote:I've crossed the Tamar many times - but not to escape draconian laws. I used to like the trip to Mount Edgumbe via the Cremyll ferry (??) possibly , long time ago

The Cremyll ferry still runs, and is well-used. Unless covid has stopped it. This is the first year I haven't used it a few times.

The ferry you really want to use around there is the one from the Barbican (central Plymouth) to Cawsand, where you land on the beach and they lower a plank for you to (dis)embark. Much smaller and much more fun than the Cremyll ferry. Taking the ferry to Cawsand, visiting an art exhibition, indulging in a pub lunch, then walking a section of the coast path and through Edgecumbe to get the Cremyll ferry home was, until this year, an annual day out. Take out the art exhibition (or find another) and you could do it as often as you like.

Arborbridge
The full Lemon

Postby Arborbridge » November 27th, 2020, 10:40 pm

UncleEbenezer wrote:
AleisterCrowley wrote:I've crossed the Tamar many times - but not to escape draconian laws. I used to like the trip to Mount Edgumbe via the Cremyll ferry (??) possibly , long time ago

The Cremyll ferry still runs, and is well-used. Unless covid has stopped it. This is the first year I haven't used it a few times.

The ferry you really want to use around there is the one from the Barbican (central Plymouth) to Cawsand, where you land on the beach and they lower a plank for you to (dis)embark. Much smaller and much more fun than the Cremyll ferry. Taking the ferry to Cawsand, visiting an art exhibition, indulging in a pub lunch, then walking a section of the coast path and through Edgecumbe to get the Cremyll ferry home was, until this year, an annual day out. Take out the art exhibition (or find another) and you could do it as often as you like.

Bin there, done that! Edgecumbe too.

I've been holed up in various Plymouth marinas at times over the years and always enjoyed my stay there. There's much to do and see.

redsturgeon
Lemon Half

Postby redsturgeon » November 28th, 2020, 10:29 am

UncleEbenezer wrote:Haven't visited a pub since March :cry: Neither to eat nor to drink. Lunch at a help-out-to-eat-outside cafe is the nearest I've come.

Guess if I do, I should jump on the bike (or make a several-hour walk of it) and cross the Tamar into the Land of (relative) Freedom. There's a pretty decent pub right on the river - and on the free side of it - just a few miles away, and it's sufficiently obscure that it's unlikely to collect emmets from plague-ridden lands.

'We'll cross the Tamar, land to land:
The Severn is no stay:
With "one and all," and hand in hand;
And who shall bid us nay?

Used to sing that one along with several other rousing anthems at school on a Friday morning after PT.

John

AleisterCrowley
Lemon Half

Postby AleisterCrowley » November 28th, 2020, 12:13 pm

I used to enjoy trips to Bigbury, with a tractor ride out to Burgh Island (if high tide). Walk up to the ruins, and a pint in the Pilchard

tjh290633
Lemon Half

Postby tjh290633 » November 28th, 2020, 12:19 pm

I propose to visit our local Wetherspoons on Thursday next week, for a longed for curry. The following week I may visit 3 different establishments for a meal, to make up for lost time.

TJH

didds
Lemon Half

Postby didds » November 28th, 2020, 2:44 pm

If you never start to eat the plate fo food that arrives, you can never finish it.

Have the Govt yet defined
* what constitutes a substantial meal (SM) [1]
* how many drinks can be consumed with the aforementioned SM [2]
* how long the SM can be consumed in
* how this is all policed?
Because without those specifications and information it's pretty meaningless

[1[ googling provides twop SUGGESTED (not govt source) answers

- pasty and salad
- a two course meal.
Well thats conculsive agreement!

[2] Ive read/heard the answer MAY be two. but no source or link for that. And is that two 4 pint pitchers/jugs of sex on the beach, or two half pints of 3.2% mild?

didds

88V8
Lemon Half

Postby 88V8 » November 28th, 2020, 6:43 pm

Well what's for sure is that it will provide the stupid with another chance to catch and spread the virus. Darwin would have been fascinated to see his theory write so large. :)

We're having a takeaway from our local pub tomorrow, which is as near to any pub as I intend to go.

V8

swill453
Lemon Half

Postby swill453 » November 28th, 2020, 6:48 pm

didds wrote:Because without those specifications and information it's pretty meaningless

It doesn't matter that much, it's all about the big picture. You'll get some people arguing about whether they can make their pasty with salad last 4 hours and 6 pints. But the overall effect will be that fewer people will congregate indoors and breathe coronavirus over each other, and the death rate will be lower.

Scott.

PinkDalek
Lemon Half

Postby PinkDalek » November 28th, 2020, 7:05 pm

didds wrote:Have the Govt yet defined
* what constitutes a substantial meal (SM) [1] ...

Too many questions to answer and this type of discussion was had somewhere or other last time around.

https://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/2020/1104/made includes:

Requirement to close businesses selling alcohol for consumption on the premises

16.—(1) A person responsible for carrying on a business of a public house, bar or other business involving the sale of alcohol for consumption on the premises must cease to carry on that business, unless paragraph (2) applies.

(2) This paragraph applies if alcohol is only served for consumption on the premises as part of a table meal, and the meal is such as might be expected to be served as the main midday or main evening meal, or as a main course at either such meal.

(4) For the purposes of this paragraph, a “table meal” is a meal eaten by a person seated at a table, or at a counter or other structure which serves the purposes of a table and is not used for the service of refreshments for consumption by persons not seated at a table or structure serving the purposes of a table.

AleisterCrowley
Lemon Half

Postby AleisterCrowley » November 28th, 2020, 7:26 pm

Well, I'm glad we cleared that up...
For the purposes of this paragraph, a “table meal” is a meal eaten by a person seated at a table, or at a counter or other structure which serves the purposes of a table and is not used for the service of refreshments for consumption by persons not seated at a table or structure serving the purposes of a table.

:o :o :o :o

PinkDalek
Lemon Half

Postby PinkDalek » November 28th, 2020, 7:33 pm

AleisterCrowley wrote:Well, I'm glad we cleared that up...
For the purposes of this paragraph, a “table meal” is a meal eaten by a person seated at a table, or at a counter or other structure which serves the purposes of a table and is not used for the service of refreshments for consumption by persons not seated at a table or structure serving the purposes of a table.

:o :o :o :o

It comes from the Licensing Act 2003 and should be understood by most Licensees.

PD - Enjoying a bottle of Bishops Finger, not seated at a table nor other structure or counter.

AleisterCrowley
Lemon Half

Postby AleisterCrowley » November 28th, 2020, 7:48 pm

I'm seated at my kitchen table structure which is also used for substantial meals, enjoying a Sierra Nevada Pale Ale from a plastic Otter Brewery festival 'glass' (Beautiful Days 2019- this year's was cancelled of course , like everything else remotely enjoyable)

didds
Lemon Half

Postby didds » November 28th, 2020, 10:19 pm

swill453 wrote:
didds wrote:Because without those specifications and information it's pretty meaningless

It doesn't matter that much, it's all about the big picture. You'll get some people arguing about whether they can make their pasty with salad last 4 hours and 6 pints. But the overall effect will be that fewer people will congregate indoors and breathe coronavirus over each other, and the death rate will be lower.

Scott.

Maybe they'll go to their local swimming pool and share that with multiple households instead. As they can do.

LOL.

didds

didds
Lemon Half

Postby didds » November 28th, 2020, 10:21 pm

PinkDalek wrote:

(4) For the purposes of this paragraph, a “table meal” is a meal eaten by a person seated at a table, or at a counter or other structure which serves the purposes of a table and is not used for the service of refreshments for consumption by persons not seated at a table or structure serving the purposes of a table.[/i]

But the requIrement is for a SUBSTANTIAL meal... not a table meal... isn't it?

didds

PinkDalek
Lemon Half

Postby PinkDalek » November 28th, 2020, 10:28 pm

didds wrote:
PinkDalek wrote:

(4) For the purposes of this paragraph, a “table meal” is a meal eaten by a person seated at a table, or at a counter or other structure which serves the purposes of a table and is not used for the service of refreshments for consumption by persons not seated at a table or structure serving the purposes of a table.[/i]

But the requIrement is for a SUBSTANTIAL meal... not a table meal... isn't it?

didds

No, that was merely attempting to explain to the man on the Clapham Omnibus. You seem to have missed out the relevant part I put in bold:

2) This paragraph applies if alcohol is only served for consumption on the premises as part of a table meal, and the meal is such as might be expected to be served as the main midday or main evening meal, or as a main course at either such meal.

servodude
Lemon Half

Postby servodude » November 29th, 2020, 6:05 am

AleisterCrowley wrote:I'm seated at my kitchen table structure which is also used for substantial meals, enjoying a Sierra Nevada Pale Ale from a plastic Otter Brewery festival 'glass' (Beautiful Days 2019- this year's was cancelled of course , like everything else remotely enjoyable)

Be advised I've just discovered that they've started allowing that to be brewed under license!
In cans albeit, not the 12oz ones which are still made in CA (but at a volume which is not quite "craft")
- still it was a disappointment (even if it was decent it wasn't what it should've been - different ABV and recipe)
If they mess with their Torpedo I might get mildly irked

-sd

AleisterCrowley
Lemon Half

Postby AleisterCrowley » November 29th, 2020, 12:45 pm

This was a can - it does say 'family owned, operated, and argued over' but there are two breweries listed - Chico CA and Mills River NC

Return to “Beerpig's Snug”