Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to eyeball08,Wondergirly,bofh,johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva, for Donating to support the site

Life!

A virtual pub for off topic, light hearted pub related banter and discussion. No trainers
UncleEbenezer
The full Lemon

Life!

Postby UncleEbenezer » May 4th, 2021, 8:08 pm

Just (lunch today) had my first pub meal with friends in more than a year, and first meal out anywhere since last year. Satisfyingly earned by pedalling up several hills to get there and back.

In normal times, nothing remarkable. Now, something special: a hint of Life returning!

And, erm, the pain of sitting on hard outdoor seating about as uncomfortable as a pew. Is #ooohmebum a valid hashtag?

terminal7
Lemon Quarter

Re: Life!

Postby terminal7 » May 5th, 2021, 6:53 pm

Went to a small private art gallery today - also not stepped foot in such an establishment for a year or so. Had to book an half hour slot in advance. Please note all the precautions etc. The owner gave us her personal attention with long descriptions of each work of art. All went swimmingly until I gently asked about the price of a linocut that the OH particularly liked. Last year's anniversary trip to Japan had been cancelled and clearly there was an outstanding big present hovering in the background. When told the price - all I can tell you was that my facemask came to the rescue.

T7

tjh290633
Lemon Half

Postby tjh290633 » May 5th, 2021, 7:37 pm

Six of us normally gather at the same pub every 1st Wednesday of the month. Today we resumed our regular lunches together. Outdoors today, but indoors from next month on. They were very glad to see us and went out of their way to make us comfortable. Our nonegenarian is not too good on his feet and came by taxi. The driver helped him to the table, ansd the pub provided an armchair and cushion for him. It makes you feel good to get back to some semblance of normality.

We used to get up to 14 a few years ago, but now the maximum is 7, unless we gather in some others. Fortunately only 6 made it today.

TJH

UncleEbenezer
The full Lemon

Postby UncleEbenezer » June 1st, 2021, 3:55 pm

Just this morning had my first haircut for a very long time. Unlike last year's interclausura it was a very pleasant experience: no masks, and she was happy to do my beard. Helped perhaps by the small shop being well-ventilated through a wide-open door. Concessions to covid rules were mostly pretty unobtrusive, though she did wear gloves, and cleaned the tools of her trade more conspicuously than in the past. Maybe I could now think of passing for human!

Meanwhile you wait more than a year for a big choir to get together and sing, then two do at once. One of them is rehearsing in earnest for a big spectacular in July, to include the premier of a new work, and has secured the local professional football stadium as an open-air rehearsal venue!

pje16
Lemon Half

Postby pje16 » June 1st, 2021, 4:03 pm

UncleEbenezer wrote:it was a very pleasant experience: no masks, and she was happy to do my beard. Helped perhaps by the small shop being well-ventilated through a wide-open door.

WHAT no masks - don't see the open door making enough difference
I had a haircut and beard trim last month and the guy who did mine and his workmate both had masks on all the time

stewamax
Lemon Quarter

Postby stewamax » June 1st, 2021, 4:49 pm

UncleEbenezer wrote:Is #ooohmebum a valid hashtag?

Only in t' north. Elsewhere it is #aaahmybam

GrahamPlatt
Lemon Quarter

Postby GrahamPlatt » June 1st, 2021, 4:59 pm

UncleEbenezer wrote: Maybe I could now think of passing for human!

Maybe. https://youtu.be/ud5J7Ye332I

Return to “Beerpig's Snug”