Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to eyeball08,Wondergirly,bofh,johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva, for Donating to support the site

The Lemonfool my pic of the day thread

A virtual pub for off topic, light hearted pub related banter and discussion. No trainers
UncleEbenezer
The full Lemon

Re: The Lemonfool my pic of the day thread

Postby UncleEbenezer » May 6th, 2021, 10:41 am

Fine view from up there. Just think of the snaps you could get on one!

I wonder if those things are actually road-legal? Presumably it would need a special exemption to the rules about having effective brakes that apply to modern bikes and other vehicles.

You remind me of when I sometimes saw a unicyclist in our lanes. Turned out he was commuting on it, between home in Princetown (heart of Dartmoor) and work on the edge of Dartmoor - a route that would be hard work on a regular bike!

servodude
Lemon Half

Postby servodude » May 6th, 2021, 11:51 am

UncleEbenezer wrote:Fine view from up there. Just think of the snaps you could get on one!

I wonder if those things are actually road-legal? Presumably it would need a special exemption to the rules about having effective brakes that apply to modern bikes and other vehicles.

You remind me of when I sometimes saw a unicyclist in our lanes. Turned out he was commuting on it, between home in Princetown (heart of Dartmoor) and work on the edge of Dartmoor - a route that would be hard work on a regular bike!

I was stopped by a pretendy polis, at a footbridge across a creek that has a sign that indicates you shouldn't ride a bike across
- everyone does though..
That's why there were a bunch of commuters being held up and asked for their names and details.
Up rolls a guy on a unicycle
He track stands while this fake polis tries to explain why the wee bike sign applies to him despite it looking nothing like the thing he is sat on. Eventually the guy in the cheap cop cosplay gives up and off scoots the clown on the unicycle..
..his feet were higher than the handrail over the bridge!
Impressive it was... but more bollox than sense really
-sd

jfgw
Lemon Quarter

Postby jfgw » May 6th, 2021, 12:09 pm

UncleEbenezer wrote:I wonder if those things are actually road-legal? Presumably it would need a special exemption to the rules about having effective brakes that apply to modern bikes and other vehicles.

The feet act as a front brake. That one also appears to have at least a back brake. Conventional fixies only need a front brake to be legal, the feet act as a rear brake.

According to this site,
Penny farthings etc: where the bike is constructed so that “the pedals act on any wheel or on the axle of any wheel without the interposition of any gearing or chain”, none of the braking requirements apply – so it seems that they can be ridden without brakes. (PCCUR r. 9(1)(a))

https://ukcyclerules.wordpress.com/2011 ... ke-brakes/

Julian F. G. W.

gryffron
Lemon Quarter

Postby gryffron » May 6th, 2021, 12:42 pm

jfgw wrote:Penny farthings etc: where the bike is constructed so that “the pedals act on any wheel or on the axle of any wheel without the interposition of any gearing or chain”, none of the braking requirements apply – so it seems that they can be ridden without brakes. (PCCUR r. 9(1)(a))

So a child's trike is a road legal vehicle

:shock:

jfgw
Lemon Quarter

Postby jfgw » May 6th, 2021, 5:29 pm

gryffron wrote:So a child's trike is a road legal vehicle

The rules for tricycles are different. From the same site ( https://ukcyclerules.wordpress.com/2011 ... ke-brakes/ ),

Tricycles which aren’t adapted for carrying goods still need to have two independent braking systems, but it’s acceptable to have both brakes operating on the single wheel (whether it’s at the back or the front). (PCCUR r. 9(2))

So it would need at least one brake in addition to the feet.

Julian F. G. W.

swill453
Lemon Half

Postby swill453 » May 16th, 2021, 10:48 am

Had a trip up north recently, including visiting the spectacular Sandwood Bay. This is a mile-long sandy beach, with a freshwater loch just inland. It's four miles from the nearest road, so a bit of an expedition to even get there. The pictures didn't really do it justice, in sunshine it's even more beautiful.

Scott.

kiloran
Lemon Quarter

Postby kiloran » May 16th, 2021, 11:11 am

swill453 wrote:Had a trip up north recently, including visiting the spectacular Sandwood Bay. This is a mile-long sandy beach, with a freshwater loch just inland. It's four miles from the nearest road, so a bit of an expedition to even get there. The pictures didn't really do it justice, in sunshine it's even more beautiful.

Scott.

Green with envy. Sandwood Bay is just stunning. I ventured into the sea many years back and it was friggin' freezing!

--kiloran

genou
Lemon Quarter

Postby genou » May 16th, 2021, 11:26 am

swill453 wrote:Had a trip up north recently, including visiting the spectacular Sandwood Bay.
Scott.

Inspired an album by Duncan Chisholm - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4FpdWOarp_8

UncleEbenezer
The full Lemon

Postby UncleEbenezer » May 16th, 2021, 11:32 am

swill453 wrote:Had a trip up north recently, including visiting the spectacular Sandwood Bay.

Out of curiosity, how much of that is tidal? The sandy spit that dominates the middle: does that go under at high tide? Conversely, does the water between you and it all-but vanish at low tide?

kiloran
Lemon Quarter

Postby kiloran » May 16th, 2021, 12:00 pm

UncleEbenezer wrote:

Out of curiosity, how much of that is tidal? The sandy spit that dominates the middle: does that go under at high tide? Conversely, does the water between you and it all-but vanish at low tide?

I've walked across the bay 10-12 times and never seen the water much higher than in Scott's photo. The loch to the left is fresh water

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sandwood_Bay

--kiloran

swill453
Lemon Half

Postby swill453 » May 16th, 2021, 12:11 pm

UncleEbenezer wrote:

The water in the foreground is a river flowing out of the freshwater loch to the left into the sea (to the right, obviously).

Not sure how much of the sand to the centre right would disappear under high tide, I'd expect quite a lot of it.

Scott.

scotia
Lemon Quarter

Postby scotia » May 16th, 2021, 3:57 pm

swill453 wrote:Had a trip up north recently, including visiting the spectacular Sandwood Bay. This is a mile-long sandy beach, with a freshwater loch just inland. It's four miles from the nearest road, so a bit of an expedition to even get there. The pictures didn't really do it justice, in sunshine it's even more beautiful.

Scott.

Did you see the mermaid that's reputed to visit the bay? She wasn't there when I visited. :)

UncleEbenezer
The full Lemon

Postby UncleEbenezer » May 16th, 2021, 4:22 pm

scotia wrote:Did you see the mermaid that's reputed to visit the bay? She wasn't there when I visited. :)

Any relation of my favourite mermaid?

csearle
Lemon Quarter

Postby csearle » May 16th, 2021, 10:24 pm

ImageI own (or am legally permitted to post) the content of this image.
This picture was taken today by my son (also a Fool here). It shows Wallasea and Foulness as viewed from a transit of Southend airport's class D airspace.

For me it has the significance that in pursuit of an augmented reality game, Ingress, I have been boating along these rivers (The Crouch, left and the Roach, right) to get to the remote islands.

Chris

scotia
Lemon Quarter

Postby scotia » May 17th, 2021, 11:49 pm

Moving the photography from the top left of the Scottish mainland (Sandwood) to the more accessible top right (Duncansby) on Sunday.

The seabirds are gathering in great rafts on the sea, and the early starters have taken up their positions on the cliffs - mainly guillemots and razorbills in the picture - but there were kittiwakes and fulmars higher up. We didn't see any puffins on the grassy upper slopes - but with skuas patrolling up and down the coast, they may have been keeping under cover.
There were also people with cars and camper vans in substantially larger numbers than we would have seen a few years ago. They seemed to be hopeful Orca (killer whale) spotters, many from afar, - but there were no Orcas while we were present. There seems to be an on-line community looking for, and reporting any Orcas from various points from the Moray coast northwards, although there were some doubts as to whether the reporters could distinguish between distant Dolphins and Orcas.

scotia
Lemon Quarter

Postby scotia » May 18th, 2021, 10:12 pm

UncleEbenezer wrote:
scotia wrote:Did you see the mermaid that's reputed to visit the bay? She wasn't there when I visited. :)

Any relation of my favourite mermaid?

Come, mariner, down in the deep with me,
And hide thee under the wave;
For I have a bed of coral for thee,
And quiet and sound shall thy slumber be
In a cell in the Mermaid's cave!

Maybe the Sandwood mermaid has moved home to provide the quiet and sound sleep
Just a bit further north from Sandwood Bay you reach Cape Wrath, and off shore lies Garvie Island which NATO forces are allowed to attack with 1000lb bombs. Currently they are making use of this facility in the exercise Strike Warrior 21 (8th to 20th May).

swill453
Lemon Half

Postby swill453 » May 19th, 2021, 8:32 am

scotia wrote:Just a bit further north from Sandwood Bay you reach Cape Wrath, and off shore lies Garvie Island which NATO forces are allowed to attack with 1000lb bombs. Currently they are making use of this facility in the exercise Strike Warrior 21 (8th to 20th May).

Yes, part of our plan for our trip was to get as far as Cape Wrath, but Strike Warrior 21 scuppered that.

Scott.

scotia
Lemon Quarter

Postby scotia » May 19th, 2021, 10:16 am

Snorvey wrote:.....which is why the Sentry (The AWAC thing in the previous pic) is based at Lossie. And a German P3 Orion (which sounds like a WW2 bomber.

Yes it was the picture of the elderly German Orion and the sight of a German Frigate (F220 Hamburg) passing Duncansby head, heading West , that suggested that something was going on - and a quick check showed that it was Strike Warrior 21.

scotia
Lemon Quarter

Postby scotia » May 19th, 2021, 11:03 am

swill453 wrote:
scotia wrote:Just a bit further north from Sandwood Bay you reach Cape Wrath, and off shore lies Garvie Island which NATO forces are allowed to attack with 1000lb bombs. Currently they are making use of this facility in the exercise Strike Warrior 21 (8th to 20th May).

Yes, part of our plan for our trip was to get as far as Cape Wrath, but Strike Warrior 21 scuppered that.

Scott.

For the young, fit, and adventurous, its a good wild-country hike from Sandwood to Cape Wrath. Since we definitely do not fit those criteria, we took the little ferry near Durness across the Kyle and the minibus to Cape Wrath, some 14 years ago. So these photos are definitely not pic of today :)

First the rock formation - just south of the Cape

And the Lighthouse (built by Robert Stevenson in 1828)

It apparently suffered from an unusual problem for a lighthouse - it was thought to be too high up, and it was decided to build a further light part of the way down the cliff - and tunnelling was commenced, but work ceased at the beginning of the first World War, and was never re-started

AleisterCrowley
Lemon Half

Postby AleisterCrowley » May 19th, 2021, 1:00 pm

I first saw a pair of these when Obama was visiting the UK (I lived near Windsor)
Difficult to describe how odd they looked when I first spotted them - I wasn't expecting to see them in the area. Like a pair of stag beetles or something!

Return to “Beerpig's Snug”