Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva,scotia,Anonymous,Cornytiv34, for Donating to support the site

Going for a walk

A virtual pub for off topic, light hearted pub related banter and discussion. No trainers
brightncheerful
Lemon Quarter

Going for a walk

Postby brightncheerful » August 2nd, 2021, 3:47 pm

H "I'm going for a walk"
OH: how long will you be?
H: No idea. Don't wait up.

At 5,000km when completed, the England Coast Path, will be the longest waymarked and maintained coastal walking route in the world and will allow people to walk around the entire English coast.

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/natural-england-to-start-work-on-coast-to-coast-national-trail-proposal?utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=govuk-notifications&utm_source=3ca634d0-8996-4794-93e2-5efe9ddb948b&utm_content=immediately

UncleEbenezer
The full Lemon

Re: Going for a walk

Postby UncleEbenezer » August 2nd, 2021, 4:01 pm

Doesn't work for me. There are too many discontinuities on the English coast.

Big ones for the Welsh and Scottish borders.
Smaller to middling ones for geographic features like estuaries.
Plus man-made ones, generally smaller (except where it's a linear feature like a big road) but often a real chore to navigate around.

brightncheerful
Lemon Quarter

Postby brightncheerful » August 2nd, 2021, 4:47 pm

UncleEbenezer wrote:Doesn't work for me. There are too many discontinuities on the English coast.

Big ones for the Welsh and Scottish borders.
Smaller to middling ones for geographic features like estuaries.
Plus man-made ones, generally smaller (except where it's a linear feature like a big road) but often a real chore to navigate around.

Welsh and Scottish borders can be overcome by constructing a trench filled with water, supermarket trolleys, etc, and a backdrop hoarding laser-light display of the sea on England's side of the wall /fence. Or simply flatting those countries.

Estuaries can be filled in by silting up with used face masks.

Man-made ones can be circumvented by bridges, underpasses, etc.

mike
Lemon Slice

Postby mike » August 2nd, 2021, 5:54 pm

brightncheerful wrote:H "I'm going for a walk"
OH: how long will you be?
H: No idea. Don't wait up.

At 5,000km when completed, the England Coast Path, will be the longest waymarked and maintained coastal walking route in the world and will allow people to walk around the entire English coast.

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/natural-england-to-start-work-on-coast-to-coast-national-trail-proposal?utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=govuk-notifications&utm_source=3ca634d0-8996-4794-93e2-5efe9ddb948b&utm_content=immediately

What a wierd article.

Every paragraph until the last is talking about a 182 mile coast-to-coast accessible path, and then out of the blue, it tags on the end the 5,000km quotation above.

swill453
Lemon Half

Postby swill453 » August 2nd, 2021, 6:00 pm

I can't see the coastal path being complete without a change in law similar to the Land Reform (Scotland) Act 2003 which gives statutory access to land (with conditions).

Too much coastal land in England is privately owned, with "Keep Out" signs and barbed wire fences.

Scott.

88V8
Lemon Half

Postby 88V8 » August 2nd, 2021, 8:21 pm

swill453 wrote:Too much coastal land in England is privately owned, with "Keep Out" signs and barbed wire fences.

Achtung! Minen!

Gerry557
Lemon Quarter

Postby Gerry557 » August 3rd, 2021, 7:14 am

I'm not sure how many people would actually complete it. Sure there will be many who do small sections. We have the South West Coast path already which I expect will now be extended. I'm not against this by the way.

There is also a coast to coast C2C walking and cycling routes across the North of England. I note the "accessibility" Will this mean queuing behind thousands of grandmas in electric scooters on flattish paved wide paths, with battery service and charge stations every 5 miles.

I shouldn't knock it as one day that might be me wanting to rekindle my youth telling the oldies in the cafe at Heartside, if it ever gets rebuilt, that I used to ride up here on my pushbike before they built the new easy route.

I like doing long distance trails so a few more won't go a miss. Maybe I need to knock out the South West Coast now while it's only 630 miles short so I can say I've done it before it gets longer than my legs.

There is a series on BBC iplayer, for those that pay the tv licence, about this route. In episode one it includes a trip with Fly like a Bird, tandam hanglideing, over Woolacombe beach, which I can personally recommend. You can also do the Devon C2c whilst your down their. This uses sections of disused railways which are accessible.

I also thought HS2 was planned to have a cycle lane unless costs have sky rocketed.

I suppose someone has to start the ball rolling and offer support or these thing would never happen. So bring it on.

Return to “Beerpig's Snug”