Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to eyeball08,Wondergirly,bofh,johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva, for Donating to support the site

Cars - a genuine appeal

A virtual pub for off topic, light hearted pub related banter and discussion. No trainers
dealtn
Lemon Half

Re: Cars - a genuine appeal

Postby dealtn » September 28th, 2021, 4:13 pm

tjh290633 wrote:
staffordian wrote:The other side of the coin is that the cash saved by not running a car goes an awfully long way towards taxis, and the odd hire van or car.

Whilst in the current circumstances I certainly would not consider giving up mine until I have to, there are alternatives, albeit not always as instant or convenient.

Our current small car is just entering its 13th year and has cost £65 per week over that time. On the other hand our bigger car is now in its fifth year (second with us) and has cost £20 per week. You won't get many taxi rides out of that, and the distances are bigger in the country.

TJH

Are you saying your larger car cost you around £2,000? I doubt it, but only you can know. It sounds like you haven't allowed for the purchase price in that calculation, and that is where a large amount of the "taxi rides" will be paid from.

simsqu
Lemon Slice

Postby simsqu » September 28th, 2021, 4:16 pm

Thank you all for your replies - I really did not expect so many and I was a little surprised at the chagrin expressed by some posters, as if I had personally insulted them by suggesting they might look at going carless.

I tried to emphasise (perhaps not strongly enough) that because of where I live, I am in the fortunate position of having credible (not necessarily free) alternatives to a car. I also tried to emphasise (again perhaps not strongly enough) that for many people, of course not having a car is not a practical solution to their transport needs.

I was merely putting forward my own circumstances, and suggesting that some people might be in a similar position to consider going carless

terminal7
Lemon Quarter

Postby terminal7 » September 28th, 2021, 5:00 pm

I too live in London and could function without a car. However, I would not be able to provide support a couple of times a week to help with the two grandchildren (6 and 3). Also I think back to the death of my father some 15 years ago and my mother 3 years ago. The various emergencies that took place at all times of the day and night prior to these deaths would have been impossible to handle without a car.

T7

88V8
Lemon Half

Postby 88V8 » September 28th, 2021, 5:29 pm

A few miles from a city, no buses.

I suppose we could manage with no car.
After all, people lived in our cottage for over 300 years with no car. Queen Victoria managed with no car.
Financially we'd be worse off as we do not have the depreciation of a new car, and cabs are not in any way a substitute for being able to go where one wants when one wants, make interim stops leaving one's car full of luggage or shopping, deciding to stop for a coffee etc. Walks in the country, stopping in places that are not places, good luck with a cab finding you.....

Of course, in many ways it would be better if we all lost our cars and had to use shanks pony, or cycle, or horse buses.
We would have to adapt.

But when one is accustomed.... an 80yo lady up the lane gave up driving and used cabs for a year, but hated the loss of independence and ended up moving house.
Travelling everywhere by cab... I would feel like a parcel.

My wife has said that if she could not drive it would not be practical to live here. As a car enthusiast I don't think I would be very happy. I think it would make me feel old. Well, I am old, but I can forget that when I'm in my car.

V8

pje16
Lemon Half

Postby pje16 » September 28th, 2021, 5:57 pm

BobbyD wrote:
pje16 wrote:I love my BMW and the thought of hauling the weekly shop home on public transport...

Supermarkets deliver...

errr I do know that :roll:
but having worked in a butchers I am fussy about my cuts of meat and prefer to pick my own fruit and veg

richlist
Lemon Quarter

Postby richlist » September 28th, 2021, 6:00 pm

We have someone in the family who will soon be 70 years young. To celebrate he's thinking of organising something outrageous, he can't decide whether it's wing walking, sky diving, bungee jumping or something else yet. He's planning on inviting all those friends & family who are 65 and over for a weekend of fun and adventure.

I've told him you are never to old to scare yourself half to death......but don't be surprised if most of them make an excuse, it's likely to cost far less than it could.

There is no such thing as to old !

BobbyD
Lemon Half

Postby BobbyD » September 28th, 2021, 6:46 pm

pje16 wrote:
BobbyD wrote:
pje16 wrote:I love my BMW and the thought of hauling the weekly shop home on public transport...

Supermarkets deliver...

errr I do know that :roll:
but having worked in a butchers I am fussy about my cuts of meat and prefer to pick my own fruit and veg

You can get better quality meat delivered as well.

AleisterCrowley
Lemon Half

Postby AleisterCrowley » September 28th, 2021, 6:50 pm

I don't own a car.
Never have, and I don't even have a driving license. Had some lessons when I lived in west London, but didn't like it at all.
I've lived in the South East for 28 years (London then Berkshire) and I find the public transport more than adequate, and I'm happy to walk several miles if required. It's not 100% a 'green' thing, it's more I really don't feel at ease in a car.
I'm probably going to retire back to Shropshire in the next few years where public transport is ...not good.
Small market town with local buses and all the shops and pubs are a reasonable walking distance, but the nearest mainline station is > 15 miles away and buses don't run on Sundays, and finish at 6pm other days. Luckily taxis/minicabs are reasonably priced compared with the south

I realise I'm in a tiny minority of non-driving, non-TV owning weirdos!

Leothebear
Lemon Quarter

Postby Leothebear » September 28th, 2021, 7:07 pm

I realise I'm in a tiny minority of non-driving, non-TV owning weirdos!

It's really OK AC. We all knew that.

;)

richlist
Lemon Quarter

Postby richlist » September 28th, 2021, 7:32 pm

I quite like your lifestyle AC, I don't know wether I admire it or just wish I could be the same but I know I just wouldn't be happy without a car. I have a brother in law who doesn't drive, never has, doesn't have a licence, now in his 60's. His wife has to ferry him everywhere & his employer had to organise a taxi if they wanted him in urgently. (NHS). I suppose you can get used to any lifestyle.

Lootman
The full Lemon

Postby Lootman » September 28th, 2021, 7:38 pm

richlist wrote:I have a brother in law who doesn't drive, never has, doesn't have a licence, now in his 60's. His wife has to ferry him everywhere & his employer had to organise a taxi if they wanted him in urgently. (NHS). I suppose you can get used to any lifestyle.

That's the thing. Without a car you become reliant on others who do have one. With a car you can help others rather than rely on help from others. Cars confer independence.

AleisterCrowley
Lemon Half

Postby AleisterCrowley » September 28th, 2021, 7:44 pm

My 80yo mum has a car (she was a late starter, think she was >> 40 when she passed her test) and I can see it does give her a lot of independence
She's into politics and local community groups, and she couldn't really attend all the meetings* if she had to rely on taxis/buses. Plus she can do a weekly shop at the local Sainsbury's, whereas I'm limited to what I can carry back (it's a 2.8km round trip ...I checked)
Still, after a day sat on my bum in front of a laptop, being 'forced' to go out for a walk is probably a good thing compared with vegetating in front of the idiot box - although my laptop has probably replaced the TV in my life :-( I'm glad I missed the torrential rain, but I have Gore-Tex if necessary..
AC
*rather suspiciously a lot of the meetings seem to be at country pubs

Sussexlad
Lemon Slice

Postby Sussexlad » September 28th, 2021, 8:15 pm

We live on the edge of a city and on a bus route which takes you into the centre. However I never use the bus or visit the centre. Most of the places I wish to attend are not easily available by bus and also I like the convenience of having transport available and the flexibility to combine different tasks, including a bit of a ride ! It feels to me like a retrograde step to surrender my personal transport and return to the 19th century. I also don't see the better off ever giving up their Chelsea tractors ! If you allow/encourage the population to increase by close on 50% over just a few decades, then there's a price to be paid but I don't feel responsible in any way - I've had just one new car in 60 years !

Stompa
Lemon Slice

Postby Stompa » September 28th, 2021, 8:26 pm

AleisterCrowley wrote:I don't own a car.
Never have, and I don't even have a driving license.

Nor me. I can't say it's ever been problem. Walking, cycling & public transport work well enough, and I'm undoubtedly fitter than I would have been had I had a car.

I do have a TV though, but seldom watch it!

AleisterCrowley
Lemon Half

Postby AleisterCrowley » September 28th, 2021, 8:40 pm

Sussexlad wrote:...It feels to me like a retrograde step to surrender my personal transport and return to the 19th century....

Hardly 19th Century, it wasn't until 1970 that more than 50% of households owned one or more cars.
At the start of the 1950s >80% of households were car-free

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-42182497
(chart 7)

tjh290633
Lemon Half

Postby tjh290633 » September 28th, 2021, 8:43 pm

dealtn wrote:Are you saying your larger car cost you around £2,000? I doubt it, but only you can know. It sounds like you haven't allowed for the purchase price in that calculation, and that is where a large amount of the "taxi rides" will be paid from.

Total cost over almost 2 years is £6140, depreciation included is £2255, Petrol £752, other costs £3133. 6318 miles at last refuel. I bought second hand at £9995 and depreciate at 12%pa on the outstanding balance.

I have a service to come in December. When I dispose of a car I adjust the rate of depreciation to get the final value. That 12% is a carry-over from the previous vehicle.

TJH

AWOL
Lemon Slice

Postby AWOL » September 28th, 2021, 8:58 pm

I used to live in Glasgow and the car ownership was incredibly low and it's clearly gone up since then. A quick google gave me this 2011 graph :

and I was one of those non-car owners and it worked fine for me.

However I am now living in the middle of nowhere. No trains, buses, or pavements. I need a car to get anywhere and my wife needs one for getting to work. So I appreciate the OP recognising that some of us have little choice. I like the idea of having no car but I don't like the implications in our circumstances and my lungs are no longer up for city living. Sadly we need two cars, and I would really like to get to one and I'd also like to move to electric when we next purchase a car because I certainly do not like the way we treat our ecosystem.

Humans are such dirty animals without even realizing how foul we are being. Our pollution goes beyond carbon of course and it's effecting virtually all life on Earth. The idea that we can keep polluting as long as we cannot see the pollution and that the planet will infinitely absorb it because we have got away with it so far is incredibly naïve. We need to start making real impactful choices soon or physics, chemistry and biology will make the choice for us.

JohnB
Lemon Quarter

Postby JohnB » September 28th, 2021, 9:01 pm

I did without a car in London Zone 6 for 2 years, but realised I needed it for Mum's medical needs, preferred doing a big shop when I got more variety with spontaneous purchases and items reduced to clear, and liked going on country walks and visiting tourist attractions. Walking from stations worked a little, but I ran out of routes, and only allowed one thing a day.

I walked 3 miles each way to do Monday's conservation, so I'm not wedded to it. 95% of my annual mileage is outside the M25. Of my 5 UK holidays this year, only the Isle of Wight was without a car, and that's a special case with high ferry costs and a dense bus network.
Last edited by JohnB on September 28th, 2021, 9:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

UncleEbenezer
The full Lemon

Postby UncleEbenezer » September 28th, 2021, 9:02 pm

staffordian wrote:The other side of the coin is that the cash saved by not running a car goes an awfully long way towards taxis, and the odd hire van or car.

That's my attitude. Though I still find I rarely need any such thing.
Whilst in the current circumstances I certainly would not consider giving up mine until I have to, there are alternatives, albeit not always as instant or convenient.

I made the opposite decision there. Though there were other influences including poverty and deteriorating eyesight. Now that poverty is no longer a big issue, I look forward to the day when I can install an app to summon a self-driving car to meet my needs. Hopefully sometime before age deprives me of mobility.

Dod101
The full Lemon

Postby Dod101 » September 28th, 2021, 9:47 pm

tjh290633 wrote:

Our current small car is just entering its 13th year and has cost £65 per week over that time. On the other hand our bigger car is now in its fifth year (second with us) and has cost £20 per week. You won't get many taxi rides out of that, and the distances are bigger in the country.

TJH

I find these costs incredible in the literal sense of the word.

Road tax, Petrol, Servicing (includingv tyres and so on) and Depreciation. I would love to know how you do it.

Dod

Return to “Beerpig's Snug”