Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva,scotia,Anonymous,Cornytiv34, for Donating to support the site

Three cheers for Michael Sheen

A virtual pub for off topic, light hearted pub related banter and discussion. No trainers
redsturgeon
Lemon Half

Three cheers for Michael Sheen

Postby redsturgeon » December 6th, 2021, 1:02 pm

i've always liked the guy but now I like him even more.

Sold his houses to fund charity and has become a "not for profit actor"

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-59528341

John

Moderator Message:
Corrected name from Martin to Michael Sheen. Clariman

Moderator Message:
Thanks C. I must get some specs

Clariman
Lemon Quarter

Re: Three cheers for Michael Sheen

Postby Clariman » December 6th, 2021, 1:09 pm

That's fascinating. I often wonder why people who are already wealthy want more money. Why do they continue to work? Why do they want to grow their investments? If they have enough money for a comfortable living with some extra for emergencies, what drives someone to want more?

I can understand why a well off actor could be motivated and reinvigorated to work with the prospect of doing good with the money.

C

Boots
2 Lemon pips

Postby Boots » December 6th, 2021, 1:14 pm

Err, that's Michael Sheen...

dealtn
Lemon Half

Postby dealtn » December 6th, 2021, 1:14 pm

Clariman wrote:That's fascinating. I often wonder why people who are already wealthy want more money. Why do they continue to work? Why do they want to grow their investments? If they have enough money for a comfortable living with some extra for emergencies, what drives someone to want more?

Some people can become wealthy as a by-product of being good at something, or from doing something they enjoy. They aren't continuing to work, or wanting to grow their investments necessarily, they just want to carry on doing something they are good at or enjoy! Why wouldn't they? What's the alternative?

pje16
Lemon Half

Postby pje16 » December 6th, 2021, 1:25 pm

Boots wrote:Err, that's Michael Sheen...

Bet he gets called Martin quite a bit as well.. must be very annoying

Well done Michael, a very generous gesture

Clariman
Lemon Quarter

Postby Clariman » December 6th, 2021, 1:36 pm

dealtn wrote:
Clariman wrote:That's fascinating. I often wonder why people who are already wealthy want more money. Why do they continue to work? Why do they want to grow their investments? If they have enough money for a comfortable living with some extra for emergencies, what drives someone to want more?

Some people can become wealthy as a by-product of being good at something, or from doing something they enjoy. They aren't continuing to work, or wanting to grow their investments necessarily, they just want to carry on doing something they are good at or enjoy! Why wouldn't they? What's the alternative?

The alternative is to do precisely what Michael Sheen has done, or something similar. :D

dealtn
Lemon Half

Postby dealtn » December 6th, 2021, 1:40 pm

Clariman wrote:
dealtn wrote:

The alternative is to do precisely what Michael Sheen has done, or something similar. :D

He is continuing to work, not stop though, that's the point. It's what is being done with the proceeds of that work/skill surely. Many successful (and wealthy) people continue to do what they are good at and enjoy, and many are huge philanthropists too. (We might be agreeing?)

monabri
Lemon Half

Postby monabri » December 6th, 2021, 1:50 pm

Shouldn't the OP ask a Mod to change the post title from Martin to Michael?

pje16
Lemon Half

Postby pje16 » December 6th, 2021, 1:52 pm

The OP is one :lol:

Clariman
Lemon Quarter

Postby Clariman » December 6th, 2021, 1:59 pm

monabri wrote:Shouldn't the OP ask a Mod to change the post title from Martin to Michael?

Just done thanks

Hallucigenia
Lemon Quarter

Postby Hallucigenia » December 6th, 2021, 2:35 pm

Clariman wrote:Why do they want to grow their investments? If they have enough money for a comfortable living with some extra for emergencies, what drives someone to want more?

I'd suggest for a lot of people, it's not about the money per se. For some people it's just a way to "keep count", they are very competitive and like to keep ahead of the Joneses. But for others it will be incidental to either doing something you enjoy - like playing football or singing songs - or something you feel driven to do, like putting an electric car on every driveway. And for some it will be about what you can do with the money that isn't for your own comfortable living - whether that's eg going into politics, or giving to charity or whatever.

And those don't have to be mutually exclusive. Someone like Bill Gates seems to have enjoyed the process of building Microsoft, but also had big dreams about how software and then the Internet could "change the world", and now is using his wealth for philanthropy.

Beerpig
Lemon Slice

Postby Beerpig » December 6th, 2021, 3:00 pm

I applaud him and what he is doing. Terrific example to others.
I also cannot understand why some people who have more money than you can shake a stick at carry on going hammer and tong to make more.
Yes, I understand wealthy faded pop stars and performers because it is all they know and there are few better feelings than the high of performing well in public. Look at Sir Tom Jones still at it at nearly 80 as are the remnants of many 60's and 70's stars and groups.

Its people who are extremely well off but still think they need more I dont get.
No pockets in a shroud.

TUK020
Lemon Quarter

Postby TUK020 » December 6th, 2021, 3:10 pm

Beerpig wrote:No pockets in a shroud.

Designer shrouds. The latest you can spend it on!

redsturgeon
Lemon Half

Postby redsturgeon » December 6th, 2021, 3:49 pm

Funny thing is as I was posting, I was just thinking how pleased Mrs Sheen would be at this Welsh philanthropy. :D

John

UncleEbenezer
The full Lemon

Postby UncleEbenezer » December 6th, 2021, 3:59 pm

Beerpig wrote:Its people who are extremely well off but still think they need more I dont get.
No pockets in a shroud.

Security. People who have experienced real poverty may have a fear and horror of a return to it, even when that's no longer a risk.

Anyone who goes over the pension lifetime limit is of course doing exactly as you describe. There seems to be public sympathy for medical folks in that position.

TUK020
Lemon Quarter

Postby TUK020 » December 6th, 2021, 6:27 pm

UncleEbenezer wrote:
Beerpig wrote:Its people who are extremely well off but still think they need more I dont get.
No pockets in a shroud.

Security. People who have experienced real poverty may have a fear and horror of a return to it, even when that's no longer a risk.

Anyone who goes over the pension lifetime limit is of course doing exactly as you describe. There seems to be public sympathy for medical folks in that position.

The LTA doesn't even cover the "comfortably off" retirement income for a couple in a recent survey (the figures quoted were after tax spending), let alone any left over to help get your kids onto the property ladder.
Do you think of, say, your local GP as insanely rich, money grubbing unnecessarily?

UncleEbenezer
The full Lemon

Postby UncleEbenezer » December 6th, 2021, 10:17 pm

TUK020 wrote:
UncleEbenezer wrote:
No pockets in a shroud.

The LTA doesn't even cover the "comfortably off" retirement income for a couple in a recent survey (the figures quoted were after tax spending), let alone any left over to help get your kids onto the property ladder.

Which just goes to show, we have expectations of an obscenely rich society.

The LTA pension comes on top of the state pension, which in itself is more than ample to live comfortably if you're not paying rent or a big mortgage.
Do you think of, say, your local GP as insanely rich, money grubbing unnecessarily?

Rich, yes. Money grubbing, no: being rich just comes with the job.

Return to “Beerpig's Snug”