Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to Bhoddhisatva,scotia,Anonymous,Cornytiv34,Anonymous, for Donating to support the site

Wet Wipe Island

A virtual pub for off topic, light hearted pub related banter and discussion. No trainers
Clitheroekid
Lemon Quarter

Wet Wipe Island

Postby Clitheroekid » June 27th, 2022, 10:28 pm

This is gross – when I read it I didn’t even know what wet wipes were.

https://www.standard.co.uk/news/uk/what ... _Daily_CDP

If I’ve managed perfectly well without them for many decades they can’t be that essential, so Bring on the Ban! ;)

AsleepInYorkshire
Lemon Half

Re: Wet Wipe Island

Postby AsleepInYorkshire » June 27th, 2022, 10:54 pm

Wet wipes cause fatbergs in sewers.

The commercial cost alone to clear these turds is unbelievable.

And when you see a man stood fully dressed in nuclear fallout PPE with a mechanical breaker in his hand to break these things up it does tickle one's retching senses.

Baby wipes and grease from our dishes cost a fortune. Add a few turds, dead rats and you end up with the largest fatberg on record which weighed 400te's and was 250 long. It was in Liverpool.

In 2019 the UK spent over £100m clearing fatbergs. Fatbergs are very solid and take a huge amount of resource to clear.

AiY(D)

bungeejumper
Lemon Half

Postby bungeejumper » June 28th, 2022, 9:09 am

Aaargh, wet wipes! God knows how much those effing things have cost us over the years in Dyno-Rod call-outs for our rental flat. The last tenant said categorically that her box of wet wipes said that they were safe to flush, so that was the end of the discussion, and would we stop going on about it? :evil:

We tried to explain that wet wipes and baby wipes were only supposed to go down one at a time. And that they really didn't mix with older drain pipework, although they might not be quite so bad with modern systems. She said that was our problem, not hers, and when was the Dyno-Rod man coming?

She's moved on now, thank god. And her kids must be in their mid-teens now, so maybe they can wipe their own bums these days. Although, having seen something of their gene pool, I wouldn't be too sure about that. :|

BJ

pje16
Lemon Half

Postby pje16 » June 28th, 2022, 9:14 am

Years ago I got chatting to the council guys who were clearing a blockage from the main sewer in my road
They told me you would not believe what ends up in there
toys, dildos, watches, cans, bottles and pretty much anything you can think of
I am amazed, but perhaps should not be, by the stupidity of great numbers of the British public :roll:
This forum excepted of course

bungeejumper
Lemon Half

Postby bungeejumper » June 28th, 2022, 9:24 am

AsleepInYorkshire wrote:Baby wipes and grease from our dishes cost a fortune. Add a few turds, dead rats and you end up with the largest fatberg on record which weighed 400te's and was 250 long.

I believe the main cause of the fatbergs is the colossal amount of grease from chippies and takeaway restaurants. Although the wet wipes etc do provide the (ahem) fibre that holds it all together. It certainly wasn't a problem fifty years ago, when I was doing student summer jobs down on the sewage farm.

Toughens you up, a job like that. If you don't survive the first morning, they pay you off with no hard feelings. But you'd be surprised what else goes down the sewers. (Then again, maybe you wouldn't?) Every so often, arms or legs or other body parts would turn up at the farm and the police would be round. Tough neighbourhood, South Herts.

The Japanese, of course, have gold in their sewer pipes, because for some unknowable reason they think it's good to eat. And they tell me that some people mine and refine it. I can't see a Klondike rush happening in Liverpool, though. :lol:

BJ

marronier
Lemon Slice

Postby marronier » June 28th, 2022, 5:13 pm

Perhaps the water companies should charge a fatberg levy , to fund the clearance , on water bills and then people would be more careful to check what went down the drains. Information adverts don't seem to deliver the message.

ReformedCharacter
Lemon Quarter

Postby ReformedCharacter » June 28th, 2022, 5:17 pm

marronier wrote:Perhaps the water companies should charge a fatberg levy , to fund the clearance , on water bills and then people would be more careful to check what went down the drains. Information adverts don't seem to deliver the message.

Maybe, but people don't always seem inclined to change their personal behaviour for the public good, even if it might save them money.

RC

Leothebear
Lemon Quarter

Postby Leothebear » June 28th, 2022, 9:55 pm

Too many of the public are dumb enough to flush wet wipes so the pressure should go on the manufacturers. Make them degradable or get banned.
What about cotton buds? Can't see them ever being degradable.

kempiejon
Lemon Quarter

Postby kempiejon » June 28th, 2022, 10:05 pm

In our house we have swapped from plastic to bamboo to paper shafts on cotton buds. But they go in the bathroom bin not into the sewerage. Ditto wipes.

didds
Lemon Half

Postby didds » June 29th, 2022, 9:23 am

marronier wrote:Perhaps the water companies should charge a fatberg levy , to fund the clearance , on water bills and then people would be more careful to check what went down the drains. Information adverts don't seem to deliver the message.

so those that don't put wet wipes down the loo can pay as well?

No thanks.

Lootman
The full Lemon

Postby Lootman » June 29th, 2022, 9:31 am

bungeejumper wrote:Aaargh, wet wipes! God knows how much those effing things have cost us over the years in Dyno-Rod call-outs for our rental flat. The last tenant said categorically that her box of wet wipes said that they were safe to flush, so that was the end of the discussion, and would we stop going on about it? :evil:

We tried to explain that wet wipes and baby wipes were only supposed to go down one at a time. And that they really didn't mix with older drain pipework, although they might not be quite so bad with modern systems. She said that was our problem, not hers, and when was the Dyno-Rod man coming?

She's moved on now, thank god. And her kids must be in their mid-teens now, so maybe they can wipe their own bums these days. Although, having seen something of their gene pool, I wouldn't be too sure about that. :|

Reminds me of the tenant I had who thought it was a good idea to dump cat litter down the toilet.

That did not end well. I managed to winkle her out shortly thereafter.

Lootman
The full Lemon

Postby Lootman » June 29th, 2022, 9:51 am

Snorvey wrote:
Lootman wrote:
bungeejumper wrote:Aaargh, wet wipes! God knows how much those effing things have cost us over the years in Dyno-Rod call-outs for our rental flat. The last tenant said categorically that her box of wet wipes said that they were safe to flush, so that was the end of the discussion, and would we stop going on about it? :evil:

Reminds me of the tenant I had who thought it was a good idea to dump cat litter down the toilet.

That did not end well. I managed to winkle her out shortly thereafter.

Going a bit off topic, I really can't understand why anyone would be a landlord these days. Why not just buy an equity income IT and relax.

I know, I quit and sold off my units. My last tenant was in 2010.

32 years as a landlord was enough. :D

swill453
Lemon Half

Postby swill453 » June 30th, 2022, 2:20 am

didds wrote:

so those that don't put wet wipes down the loo can pay as well?

No thanks.

They're paying for it now...

Scott.

Return to “Beerpig's Snug”