Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to Wasron,jfgw,Rhyd6,eyeball08,Wondergirly, for Donating to support the site

Things that make you go oooh thread....

A virtual pub for off topic, light hearted pub related banter and discussion. No trainers
UncleEbenezer
The full Lemon

Re: Things that make you go oooh thread....

Postby UncleEbenezer » March 3rd, 2024, 6:36 am

scotia wrote:
Dicky99 wrote:There would be a sense of schadenfreude if weren't so serious a gaff :?

The major surprise is that Russia published this intercept. So it will now get closed down. Surely it would have been much more productive to continue to listen in to future conversations.

You're assuming it's genuine. Could also be deep fake. In matters of war and espionage, I am disinclined to take anyone's word at face value without substantial backing evidence.

But I can see a possible motivation here. Given that we're repeatedly told the Krauts (like the 'merkins) are in internal debate about supplying arms for this war, going public with something like that could be intended to influence that debate - most likely hoping to warn them off.

That context also raises the "joker" possibility that someone involved in the German internal debate intentionally leaked.

servodude
Lemon Half

Postby servodude » March 3rd, 2024, 7:12 am

UncleEbenezer wrote:
scotia wrote:The major surprise is that Russia published this intercept. So it will now get closed down. Surely it would have been much more productive to continue to listen in to future conversations.

You're assuming it's genuine. Could also be deep fake. In matters of war and espionage, I am disinclined to take anyone's word at face value without substantial backing evidence.

But I can see a possible motivation here. Given that we're repeatedly told the Krauts (like the 'merkins) are in internal debate about supplying arms for this war, going public with something like that could be intended to influence that debate - most likely hoping to warn them off.

That context also raises the "joker" possibility that someone involved in the German internal debate intentionally leaked.

Pretty soon (if not already) it will be possible to create sufficiently plausible audio recordings with minimal input via AI. These will be thrown by bad actors in to the air and, for just about any cause, there will be sufficiently motivated reporters to take it at face value irrespective of provenance, at least for long enough for some damage to occur

bungeejumper
Lemon Half

Postby bungeejumper » March 3rd, 2024, 9:28 am

servodude wrote:
UncleEbenezer wrote:But I can see a possible motivation here. Given that we're repeatedly told the Krauts (like the 'merkins) are in internal debate about supplying arms for this war, going public with something like that could be intended to influence that debate - most likely hoping to warn them off.

Pretty soon (if not already) it will be possible to create sufficiently plausible audio recordings with minimal input via AI. These will be thrown by bad actors in to the air and, for just about any cause, there will be sufficiently motivated reporters to take it at face value irrespective of provenance, at least for long enough for some damage to occur

Indeed, Uncle E, the same thing had occurred to me. Maybe this "leak" is a variant on the old mutually assured destruction thing?

Back in the sixties and seventies, it wasn't just revealing that our spy planes knew everything about their missile silos, and their planes knew everything about ours. And that we knew they knew, and they knew we knew they knew. It was actually part of the cold war security package that prevented either side from thinking it had the tactical advantage of secrecy. :| and that in turn helped to dissuade either side from doing anything unusually rash.

On the clear understanding that Russia has already done something rash in Ukraine (although not on a nuclear scale), it might not be altogether a bad thing if some of these "secrets" (whether genuine or fabricated) are allowed to surface. If they didn't exist, perhaps it would be necessary to invent them?

BJ

Tedx
Lemon Quarter

Postby Tedx » March 21st, 2024, 4:36 pm

Harry Kane statue which has been kept in storage because local councillors could not find a home for it

Might I suggest a skip?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-68625041

the0ni0nking
Lemon Slice

Postby the0ni0nking » March 21st, 2024, 4:54 pm

Tedx wrote:
Harry Kane statue which has been kept in storage because local councillors could not find a home for it

Might I suggest a skip?

I saw the news story just before your post and did more than just a double take to conclude how awful it is too!

bungeejumper
Lemon Half

Postby bungeejumper » March 21st, 2024, 5:22 pm

Honestly, I don't know what all the fuss is about. Okay, it's been in a damp cupboard for five years, but a bit of a wire brush and a touch with an angle grinder and a lick of gold spray paint, and he (or they?) will be as good as new. (Errr, it was supposed to be Jimmy Hill, wasn't it? ) And the spare heads will look nice on the mantelpiece. :)

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/footb ... ce-it.html

BJ

Dicky99
Lemon Slice

Postby Dicky99 » March 21st, 2024, 7:36 pm

Tedx wrote:Harry Kane statue which has been kept in storage because local councillors could not find a home for it

Might I suggest a skip?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-68625041

"Pictures of the statue, depicting Kane sat on a green bench with a football on his knee, then emerged following a Freedom of Information request by The Big Issue."

Sounds like they thought they'd got away with stashing it away never to see the light of day again until those pesky Big Issue people started asking awkward questions

Redmires
Lemon Slice

Postby Redmires » March 21st, 2024, 10:30 pm

Come on, it's made of chocolate and will be eaten by the councillors for Easter.

servodude
Lemon Half

Postby servodude » March 21st, 2024, 10:34 pm

with the pose they chose it looks like he should be sitting on a bucket

UncleEbenezer
The full Lemon

Postby UncleEbenezer » March 22nd, 2024, 12:18 am

Skeletal footballer or football fan? Or is the ball a red (or brown) herring?

scotia
Lemon Quarter

Postby scotia » March 26th, 2024, 9:14 pm

Bizarre headline on the BBC Site
North Korea censors Alan Titchmarsh's trousers

Work that one out :shock:

UncleEbenezer
The full Lemon

Postby UncleEbenezer » March 26th, 2024, 10:01 pm

scotia wrote:Bizarre headline on the BBC Site
North Korea censors Alan Titchmarsh's trousers

Heard it on t'wireless. They're showing him on their telly (dubbed into Korean). But he's wearing jeans, which are deemed too western/decadent to allow on telly. So they're censoring the jeans.

I expect the BBC has a pic on its website. Maybe I'll take a look, if I can be a*sed.

UncleEbenezer
The full Lemon

Postby UncleEbenezer » March 26th, 2024, 11:04 pm

UncleEbenezer wrote:
scotia wrote:Bizarre headline on the BBC Site

Heard it on t'wireless. They're showing him on their telly (dubbed into Korean). But he's wearing jeans, which are deemed too western/decadent to allow on telly. So they're censoring the jeans.

I expect the BBC has a pic on its website. Maybe I'll take a look, if I can be a*sed.

Gets more confusing. :?

There's a pic on the website. But the man there has - along with blurred trousers - the hair of a man half Titchmarsh's claimed 74 years.

What does he really look like? Wikipedia has a pic dated 2007, where he looks older than in the BBC story - though still not bad for a man who must've been in his late 50s.

Redmires
Lemon Slice

Postby Redmires » March 26th, 2024, 11:37 pm

UncleEbenezer wrote:
There's a pic on the website. But the man there has - along with blurred trousers - the hair of a man half Titchmarsh's claimed 74 years.

What does he really look like? Wikipedia has a pic dated 2007, where he looks older than in the BBC story - though still not bad for a man who must've been in his late 50s.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-68664644

That was a 2010 programme. He was a stripling of a lad, at 60, but is he wearing a syrup ?

Dicky99
Lemon Slice

Postby Dicky99 » March 27th, 2024, 7:50 am

I reckon a follow up of a couple of episodes of Charlie Dimmock's Garden Rescue complete with pixellated saggy cleavage should ensure that North Koreans abandon any aspirations of a Western life :?

bungeejumper
Lemon Half

Postby bungeejumper » March 27th, 2024, 9:31 am

Dicky99 wrote:I reckon a follow up of a couple of episodes of Charlie Dimmock's Garden Rescue complete with pixellated saggy cleavage should ensure that North Koreans abandon any aspirations of a Western life :?

Ah yes, my late bro-in-law had a crush on Ms Hammock's luxuriant balcony (as the French would call it). Which is nothing on the crush she'd have had on him. :D

BJ

Leothebear
Lemon Quarter

Postby Leothebear » March 28th, 2024, 6:40 am

Dicky99 wrote:I reckon a follow up of a couple of episodes of Charlie Dimmock's Garden Rescue complete with pixellated saggy cleavage should ensure that North Koreans abandon any aspirations of a Western life :?

Well I know I have.

Tedx
Lemon Quarter

Postby Tedx » April 5th, 2024, 10:25 am

The new tool on my Google Pixel phone

Long press the middle button when on photos, text etc and circle the item that interests you and....within a fraction of a second you have all sorts of search results.

I circled a small of a personal holiday photo and it gave me loads of info on the location. I took a photo of a car in a car park and it gave me loads of info on the type of vehicle. It works on internet pics and text too.

Pretty cool!

UncleEbenezer
The full Lemon

Postby UncleEbenezer » April 5th, 2024, 11:23 am

Tedx wrote:The new tool on my Google Pixel phone

Long press the middle button when on photos, text etc and circle the item that interests you and....within a fraction of a second you have all sorts of search results.

I circled a small of a personal holiday photo and it gave me loads of info on the location. I took a photo of a car in a car park and it gave me loads of info on the type of vehicle. It works on internet pics and text too.

Pretty cool!

Sounds really annoying to me.

The trouble with that kind of feature is that it so often happens unintentionally, and gets in the way of anything one might be doing on the phone. :evil:

Tedx
Lemon Quarter

Postby Tedx » April 5th, 2024, 11:59 am

UncleEbenezer wrote:
Tedx wrote:The new tool on my Google Pixel phone

Pretty cool!

Sounds really annoying to me.

The trouble with that kind of feature is that it so often happens unintentionally, and gets in the way of anything one might be doing on the phone. :evil:

Go back to bed grandad.

Return to “Beerpig's Snug”