Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to gpadsa,Steffers0,lansdown,Wasron,jfgw, for Donating to support the site

Video doorbells

A virtual pub for off topic, light hearted pub related banter and discussion. No trainers
Lanark
Lemon Quarter

Re: Video doorbells

Postby Lanark » April 19th, 2024, 10:54 pm

ReformedCharacter wrote:I read some time ago that the fuzz were making use of Ring doorbells, but this seems to be restricted now:

Yes I think the police in some areas were basically using it as a general surveillance tool they didn't have to pay for, which is crossing a line particularly as they can selectively use footage which helps a case and quietly ignore any which contradicts it.

"Give me six lines written by the hand of the most honest man, I'll find enough to hang him"

bungeejumper
Lemon Half

Postby bungeejumper » April 20th, 2024, 9:09 am

Nimrod103 wrote:A vulnerable relative of mine has an insane ex husband who turns up to cause trouble, and an unpleasant neighbour who is trying to harass her.
Having the recording facility to film who is lurking around, and what is said in any conversation, has been very valuable to even the score, as far as the police are concerned.

Indeed. We originally got our CCTV security camera system on the police's recommendation, after I was threatened with violence by one of our tenants. The camera pointing down our drive is quite big and purposeful-looking** - but then, as I mentioned previously, we do live down a quiet and unlit lane, not in a typical street, so I'd say that different rules apply.

BJ

(** Our other cameras around the doors are slimline bullet types, which not even the CID officers noticed when they came around to see our video footage after the aforementioned jewellery heist. :D
Last edited by bungeejumper on April 20th, 2024, 9:10 am, edited 1 time in total.

didds
Lemon Half

Postby didds » April 20th, 2024, 9:09 am

All great responses thus far, thank you

Next questions

What is a "chime". I presumed it was just a noise that went "ding dong" when somebody pressed the button :-)

If somebody doesnt push the button and just knocks the door/uses the door knocker does the video doorbell bit not "run" ie capture who it is and start a conversation remotely ?

cheers
didds

scrumpyjack
Lemon Quarter

Postby scrumpyjack » April 20th, 2024, 9:35 am

I have a Eufy doorbell video unit plus a separate camera by the garage. Both are motion activated so you get a couple of minutes video recorded when triggered. There is no monthly subscription cost and the video is stored on its own little 'server' in the house (tiny!).

If someone rings the doorbell, apart from ringing, it comes through to my phone and I can answer it wherever I am if I want to. I tend to delete all the clips every couple of days. There are no data protection issues as it only looks at our land. Quite often gets triggered by the muntjak and fallow deer!

All works well. The units can be battery or mains powered.

DrFfybes
Lemon Quarter

Postby DrFfybes » April 20th, 2024, 10:26 am

I'm interested in this, as we need something better. We have some wireless long distance bells and kit, the DA600 system from Ultrasecure Direct, but reliability hasn't been great lately and when something arrived faulty it took me sending them a video of it before they accepted there was an issue.

I've been leaning towards Tapo stuff, made by TP link AIUI. It seems to work well with the other suff we have, and now we have power down the garden a powerline to wifi extender means we can get wifi to the end of the drive, although not around the rest of the garden (hence the Ultrasecure stuff which has a very good range).
The Tapo stuff seems to need a smartphone to work, which is not a problem for most people, and the CCTV stuff can be set up on a laptop/PC and AIUI it works with a range of common interfaces so is not tied to the manufacturer for storage etc.

Ring AFAICT Just Works, simple to set up and use, but costs. The iphone of the doorbell world :)

Paul

Rhyd6
Lemon Quarter

Postby Rhyd6 » April 20th, 2024, 12:02 pm

I have friends in a village a few miles from us, they and other residents were plagued by low level nuisance vandalism. Cars were scratched, paint thrown at doors plants destroyed in gardens, nothing to interest the police but very annoying. Since the advent of video doorbells along with the threat of "I have you on camera and know your parents, if you don't tell them what you've been doing I will" which regularly appear on local facebook almost all petty vandalism has stopped. It's also had a positive effect on those idle beggars who don't clear up after their pooches, the threat of showing the dogs "in action" whilst they stand around then just walk off means they no longer leave it for other to clean up or decorate the trees with their bags full of dog muck.

R6

BullDog
Lemon Quarter

Postby BullDog » April 20th, 2024, 1:03 pm

Rhyd6 wrote:I have friends in a village a few miles from us, they and other residents were plagued by low level nuisance vandalism. Cars were scratched, paint thrown at doors plants destroyed in gardens, nothing to interest the police but very annoying. Since the advent of video doorbells along with the threat of "I have you on camera and know your parents, if you don't tell them what you've been doing I will" which regularly appear on local facebook almost all petty vandalism has stopped. It's also had a positive effect on those idle beggars who don't clear up after their pooches, the threat of showing the dogs "in action" whilst they stand around then just walk off means they no longer leave it for other to clean up or decorate the trees with their bags full of dog muck.

R6

Good to hear. Sad to say, I had dashcam video evidence of a car in a 30mph zone dangerously undertaking me at high speed and crossing traffic lights on red. Extremely fortunate to not hit another vehicle. I did send the video to the local police as the registration number was clearly visible. I never heard anything again which perhaps means it went no further :?

Gerry557
Lemon Quarter

Postby Gerry557 » April 20th, 2024, 1:23 pm

didds wrote:All great responses thus far, thank you

Next questions

What is a "chime". I presumed it was just a noise that went "ding dong" when somebody pressed the button :-)

If somebody doesnt push the button and just knocks the door/uses the door knocker does the video doorbell bit not "run" ie capture who it is and start a conversation remotely ?

cheers
didds

The Tapo chime is a small box that you plug in. It can make a noise when the doorbell is pressed or movement is spotted. It can store your video onto a micro sd card. It also acts as a smart hub should you want to connect other tapo devices. The postie doesnt normally "ring" but I still get a chime when he triggers the movement on the camera so I know hes been and it records.

You can also add other smart devices such as lights. So movement turns on the garden lights or flashes a lamp indoors. You could have more than one so when one rings it then sounds the second or third. Useful if you have a large house or sit out in the garden.

https://www.tapo.com/en/product/smart-hub/tapo-h100/

https://youtu.be/EtMqAdd6rps?si=klGIV6zaeSpizgQb

chas49
Lemon Quarter

Postby chas49 » April 20th, 2024, 1:37 pm

Gerry557 wrote:
didds wrote:All great responses thus far, thank you

Next questions

The Tapo chime is a small box that you plug in. It can make a noise when the doorbell is pressed or movement is spotted.

As mentioned above, a 'chime' is an additional bit of (optional) tech which sounds a chime inside the house. It connects wirelessly (usually) to the doorbell.

Unlike a traditional doorbell, a video doorbell (Tapo, Ring, Blink - and others) is a standalone device which has a camera and a pushbutton on it. If someone presses the button, the doorbell itself 'rings' - outside the house and also sends an alert to any connected devices (phones, smart speakers, and chimes).

So - if you want to replicate the functionality of a traditional doorbell (with added camera), you'll (probably) want a chime.

DrFfybes
Lemon Quarter

Postby DrFfybes » April 20th, 2024, 3:28 pm

Gerry557 wrote:The Tapo chime is a small box that you plug in [...]

You can also add other smart devices such as lights. So movement turns on the garden lights or flashes a lamp indoors.

Many years ago I knew a chap who set up a PIR that flushed the toilet. Very Heath Robinson and Meccano, but probably very offputting for any intruder stood in the back garden next to the downpipe.

Paul

stevensfo
Lemon Quarter

Postby stevensfo » April 21st, 2024, 8:53 am

Nimrod103 wrote:A vulnerable relative of mine has an insane ex husband who turns up to cause trouble, and an unpleasant neighbour who is trying to harass her.
Having the recording facility to film who is lurking around, and what is said in any conversation, has been very valuable to even the score, as far as the police are concerned.

One trick for external security I was told, is to have one or more dummy cameras in plain view, and the real cameras well camouflaged.

As far as I'm concerned, the privacy issues of filming beyond your property are OTT. There are other, far more important privacy issues than being able to see someone walking their dog past your house! One of our neighbours suggested years ago everyone contributing to a system that would monitor along the road. I was supportive, but most neighbours weren't interested.

Steve

Mike4
Lemon Half

Postby Mike4 » April 21st, 2024, 9:46 am

BullDog wrote:
Rhyd6 wrote:I have friends in a village a few miles from us, they and other residents were plagued by low level nuisance vandalism. Cars were scratched, paint thrown at doors plants destroyed in gardens, nothing to interest the police but very annoying. Since the advent of video doorbells along with the threat of "I have you on camera and know your parents, if you don't tell them what you've been doing I will" which regularly appear on local facebook almost all petty vandalism has stopped. It's also had a positive effect on those idle beggars who don't clear up after their pooches, the threat of showing the dogs "in action" whilst they stand around then just walk off means they no longer leave it for other to clean up or decorate the trees with their bags full of dog muck.

R6

Good to hear. Sad to say, I had dashcam video evidence of a car in a 30mph zone dangerously undertaking me at high speed and crossing traffic lights on red. Extremely fortunate to not hit another vehicle. I did send the video to the local police as the registration number was clearly visible. I never heard anything again which perhaps means it went no further :?

Post your video on YouTube and rack up a few tens of thousands of views and it might be a different outcome. The Fuzz are noted for prosecuting dangerous driving episodes published on YouTube.

I still doubt they'd bother to tell YOU about any action taken though!

stevensfo
Lemon Quarter

Postby stevensfo » April 21st, 2024, 2:56 pm

Mike4 wrote:
BullDog wrote:Good to hear. Sad to say, I had dashcam video evidence of a car in a 30mph zone dangerously undertaking me at high speed and crossing traffic lights on red. Extremely fortunate to not hit another vehicle. I did send the video to the local police as the registration number was clearly visible. I never heard anything again which perhaps means it went no further :?

Post your video on YouTube and rack up a few tens of thousands of views and it might be a different outcome. The Fuzz are noted for prosecuting dangerous driving episodes published on YouTube.

I still doubt they'd bother to tell YOU about any action taken though!

I'm no expert and fully support bringing some of these idiots to justice, but how can they present a youtube video as evidence without interviewing the person who took it and examining the original mp4 file? How do they know that the video hasn't been modified and edited with special effects added?

Steve

Gerry557
Lemon Quarter

Postby Gerry557 » April 21st, 2024, 3:00 pm

DrFfybes wrote:
Gerry557 wrote:The Tapo chime is a small box that you plug in [...]

You can also add other smart devices such as lights. So movement turns on the garden lights or flashes a lamp indoors.

Many years ago I knew a chap who set up a PIR that flushed the toilet. Very Heath Robinson and Meccano, but probably very offputting for any intruder stood in the back garden next to the downpipe.

Paul

I suppose it helps that police dog track the badie :D

stevensfo
Lemon Quarter

Postby stevensfo » April 21st, 2024, 5:36 pm

Gerry557 wrote:
DrFfybes wrote:

Paul

I suppose it helps that police dog track the badie :D

At 3am?

Good luck! You'll most likely get an answering machine. :?

Steve

PS Burglars prefer 3am because it's when people are in deep sleep, and if they do hear something, they'll stay rigid in their beds and hope it's creaking floorboards or anything as long as it goes away.

Return to “Beerpig's Snug”