Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to nimnarb,Clitheroekid,AndyPandy,DrFfybes,smokey01, for Donating to support the site

Things that make you go oooh thread....

A virtual pub for off topic, light hearted pub related banter and discussion. No trainers
Tedx
Lemon Quarter

Re: Things that make you go oooh thread....

Postby Tedx » April 10th, 2024, 1:38 pm

The Met Office has revealed that the entire north of Scotland reported an increase in sunshine hours during the meteorological winter, which runs from December 1 to February 29.

The UK average was 145.6 hours of sunshine during the period, while Moray recorded 216.6 hours.

Since records began in 1910, this has only been beaten by 222.9 hours in Moray in 2018 and 235 in 1930 respectively.

We have a special kind of sun though. It's one that produces huge amounts of light without the enormous drag factor of having to produce heat. Still, I'll take that. Look at over Fort William way. Christ it's dark. And cold. And wet. And miserable <shudder>

https://www.pressandjournal.co.uk/fp/ne ... winter-uk/

Dicky99
Lemon Slice

Postby Dicky99 » April 10th, 2024, 5:24 pm

That reckons where I live has had between 140 and 160 sunshine hours but I can't remember any of them. It seems to me to have been the wettest, greyest, most sunless winter I can ever remember.

Tedx
Lemon Quarter

Postby Tedx » June 11th, 2024, 9:27 am

Lidl are selling their own merch

https://www.lidl.co.uk/c/lidl-merch/a10047874

Lidl launching their own fashion range could be a genius move in a kind of reverse psychology way. Like rich people buying old bangers of cars or politicians on election campaigns eating food on camera they wouldn't normally be seen dead consuming.

Or maybe not.

I'd make it a mandatory school uniform.

Leothebear
Lemon Quarter

Postby Leothebear » June 11th, 2024, 9:50 am

Tedx wrote:Lidl are selling their own merch

Lidl launching their own fashion range could be a genius move in a kind of reverse psychology way. Like rich people buying old bangers of cars or politicians on election campaigns eating food on camera they wouldn't normally be seen dead consuming.

Or maybe not.

I expect Gucci are sh1tt1ng themselves. ;)

scotia
Lemon Quarter

Postby scotia » June 12th, 2024, 2:43 am

Tedx wrote:The Met Office has revealed that the entire north of Scotland reported an increase in sunshine hours during the meteorological winter, which runs from December 1 to February 29.

The UK average was 145.6 hours of sunshine during the period, while Moray recorded 216.6 hours.

Since records began in 1910, this has only been beaten by 222.9 hours in Moray in 2018 and 235 in 1930 respectively.

We have a special kind of sun though. It's one that produces huge amounts of light without the enormous drag factor of having to produce heat.

Having experienced a stiff Nor-Easter in January at Wick Harbour, I would have welcomed a little heat generation. Maybe global warming will bring some relief. :roll:

Tedx
Lemon Quarter

Postby Tedx » June 12th, 2024, 7:06 am

scotia wrote:
Tedx wrote:The Met Office has revealed that the entire north of Scotland reported an increase in sunshine hours during the meteorological winter, which runs from December 1 to February 29.

We have a special kind of sun though. It's one that produces huge amounts of light without the enormous drag factor of having to produce heat.

Having experienced a stiff Nor-Easter in January at Wick Harbour, I would have welcomed a little heat generation. Maybe global warming will bring some relief. :roll:

Could do with some heat generation at the moment. It's blimmin' freezing.

Nimrod103
Lemon Half

Postby Nimrod103 » June 12th, 2024, 7:52 am

Tedx wrote:Lidl are selling their own merch

Or maybe not.

I don't see a problem. Two (different) fleeces I bought in Lidl's have been among the most useful and comfortable items of apparell in my wardrobe.

Tedx
Lemon Quarter

Postby Tedx » June 12th, 2024, 9:25 am

I don't disagree with you about the quality and value for money.

Tell me though, are those fleeces heavily branded with Lidl colours / logos?

Nimrod103
Lemon Half

Postby Nimrod103 » June 12th, 2024, 11:37 am

Tedx wrote:I don't disagree with you about the quality and value for money.

Tell me though, are those fleeces heavily branded with Lidl colours / logos?

Haha, no branding by Lidl on the label, and certainly not on the outside.

Tedx
Lemon Quarter

Postby Tedx » June 19th, 2024, 8:13 pm

Britain could become ‘island of stability’ as Macron debt crisis consumes France, says UBS

Toots the Daily Telegraph, citing problems in France, Germany, debt, deficits yadda yadda.

Meanwhile, Britain with a left(ish) of centre 200 seat majority Labour government glides serenely by....

:D

Who'd a thunk it eh?

NearlyThere
Lemon Pip

Postby NearlyThere » June 25th, 2024, 3:46 pm

More like things that make you go aarrgghhh...

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/articles/cll476qzm85o

About £1.4bn worth of personal protective equipment (PPE) has been destroyed or written off in what is understood to be the most wasteful government deal of the pandemic.

Tedx
Lemon Quarter

Postby Tedx » June 30th, 2024, 11:35 am

Sabine speculates on where we will be in 2085

https://youtu.be/fdqNJo6JScA?si=1d1VMYU4sQ51k6zG

Any thoughts?

Tedx
Lemon Quarter

Postby Tedx » July 9th, 2024, 7:25 pm

Aberdeen and Inverness could be as warm as northern Spain and France in 60 years

Researchers at the University of Maryland Centre for Environmental Science in the USA have created an app that predicts how global warming will impact climate change across the world by 2080 if emissions do not decrease.

The app reveals how climate will change in thousands of cities across the globe, linking them to locations that currently have similar weather conditions.

It predicts that Aberdeen’s climate in 2080 will be similar to the current climate of northern France.

Meanwhile, Inverness’ climate in 60 years’ time will be like that of northern Spain’s Basque Country at present.

Makes you wonder what it will be like south of Aberdoom....

https://www.pressandjournal.co.uk/fp/ne ... ess-spain/

MuddyBoots
Lemon Slice

Postby MuddyBoots » July 9th, 2024, 8:44 pm

Tedx wrote:Aberdeen and Inverness could be as warm as northern Spain and France in 60 years

Researchers at the University of Maryland Centre for Environmental Science in the USA have created an app that predicts how global warming will impact climate change across the world by 2080 if emissions do not decrease.

The app reveals how climate will change in thousands of cities across the globe, linking them to locations that currently have similar weather conditions.

It predicts that Aberdeen’s climate in 2080 will be similar to the current climate of northern France.

Meanwhile, Inverness’ climate in 60 years’ time will be like that of northern Spain’s Basque Country at present.

Should we start buying up land up north to speculate on this? There's plenty to go at in the northern hemisphere. It should keep us going till the next glaciation, when's that due according to the climatologists? Hang on, isn't global warming supposed to be delaying the start of the next glacial period? Perhaps we could abandon England when it becomes too hot, default on all the debt and move en mass to Canada or Siberia.

tjh290633
Lemon Half

Postby tjh290633 » July 9th, 2024, 10:50 pm

MuddyBoots wrote:
Tedx wrote:Aberdeen and Inverness could be as warm as northern Spain and France in 60 years

Should we start buying up land up north to speculate on this? There's plenty to go at in the northern hemisphere. It should keep us going till the next glaciation, when's that due according to the climatologists? Hang on, isn't global warming supposed to be delaying the start of the next glacial period? Perhaps we could abandon England when it becomes too hot, default on all the debt and move en mass to Canada or Siberia.

It's very odd, but the average annual temperature outside my back door has been on a downward trend since the 1980s. There is a close correlation with my annual gas consumption, which confirms this cooling. What is causing the apparent warming in other parts of the country?

TJH

MuddyBoots
Lemon Slice

Postby MuddyBoots » July 9th, 2024, 11:46 pm

tjh290633 wrote: It's very odd, but the average annual temperature outside my back door has been on a downward trend since the 1980s. There is a close correlation with my annual gas consumption, which confirms this cooling. What is causing the apparent warming in other parts of the country?

TJH

Sorry but I can't tell if you're joking or not. Do you mean an inverse correlation, ie you're using more gas now than you used to, and the temperature is lower?
And have you taken into account that as we get older we can't regulate our temperature so well and feel the cold more? Are you retired - we have the heating on more if we're at home more.

tjh290633
Lemon Half

Postby tjh290633 » July 10th, 2024, 9:58 am

MuddyBoots wrote:
tjh290633 wrote: It's very odd, but the average annual temperature outside my back door has been on a downward trend since the 1980s. There is a close correlation with my annual gas consumption, which confirms this cooling. What is causing the apparent warming in other parts of the country?

TJH

Sorry but I can't tell if you're joking or not. Do you mean an inverse correlation, ie you're using more gas now than you used to, and the temperature is lower?
And have you taken into account that as we get older we can't regulate our temperature so well and feel the cold more? Are you retired - we have the heating on more if we're at home more.

No, what I am saying is that there is a.negative correlation between gas used and temperature. If I plot gas against average annual temperature, I get a straight line, decreasing as temperature rises. I had a new boiler in 1997, the year before I retired, and that has recently been replaced. I have not changed temperature settings, but the graph of average annual temperatures shows a decline from the 1980s when you plot the trend. In fact you can see an upturn in recent years, but nowhere near the peaks of the 80s.

If anything, I feel the heat more. I retired in 1998, my wife in 1986, and her elderly mother lived with us from the late 80s to the early 90s. Had age had an effect as you suggest, I would be seeing an increase in gas consumption against average temperature, but I am not.

My conclusion is that the apparent warming is another effect, probably urban heating and heat from traffic. It is not seen in my rural location.

TJH

scotia
Lemon Quarter

Postby scotia » July 10th, 2024, 11:21 am

A major factor in our Scottish weather is the Gulf Stream /North Atlantic Drift/Conveyor (Whichever name the surface sea current is given). Without it we would be like Labrador. With the warming and ice melt in the Arctic, I believe that the point at which the current sinks down for its return path is changing/weakening, and Arctic warming may have the opposite effect for the climate in Scotland. Don't throw away your woolies too soon. :o

UncleEbenezer
The full Lemon

Postby UncleEbenezer » July 10th, 2024, 12:42 pm

scotia wrote:

A major factor in our Scottish weather is the Gulf Stream /North Atlantic Drift/Conveyor (Whichever name the surface sea current is given). Without it we would be like Labrador. With the warming and ice melt in the Arctic, I believe that the point at which the current sinks down for its return path is changing/weakening, and Arctic warming may have the opposite effect for the climate in Scotland. Don't throw away your woolies too soon. :o

Not just Scotland, that's the whole of Atlantic-facing North-West Europe.

I wrote about that in the context of an educational project in 1998. The high school kids who read it will now be in their 40s, so some may be in positions of power and responsibility. Though alas, few in Blighty.

Lootman
The full Lemon

Postby Lootman » July 10th, 2024, 12:59 pm

scotia wrote:

The idea that places that have bleak and inhospitable weather might become temperate garden spots in the future is a sound one. If the world continues to heat up then places like northern Canada, Greenland, Scandinavia and Siberia could see large migratory inflows of people escaping the heat.

But islands and small land masses like Scotland and Iceland might be too small, and the outcomes may be less favourable and predictable

A friend of mine who lives in Oregon told me that it is 104 degrees F there at the moment. And this is at an altitude of about 4,000 feet. Phoenix, Arizona recently had a night when the temperature never got below 95 degrees F. I'd take Scotland over that. Except for Peterhead maybe.

Return to “Beerpig's Snug”