Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to Anonymous,bruncher,niord,gvonge,Shelford, for Donating to support the site

Decolonising Mathematics

A virtual pub for off topic, light hearted pub related banter and discussion. No trainers
UncleEbenezer
The full Lemon

Re: Decolonising Mathematics

Postby UncleEbenezer » April 13th, 2022, 1:11 am

SimonS wrote:
ReformedCharacter wrote:
The mathematics curriculum at a leading university (Durham) is being “decolonised”,/quote]

RC

And approaching this in a logical fashion I deduced that since the colon is a method of getting the Manure out, this was a method of keeping it in. It seems the latest ploy in the racism industry is to attribute the difficulty of finding information about the advances made by any foreign influences in the past io racism, rather than sheer ignorance or lack of interest

As an experiment I asked a number of friends who were or what contributions were associated with Maxwell, Faraday, Kelvin, Rutherford or Tesla. The only name generally recognised was Tesla who made cars. Whereas we all know that Tesla made musical instruments (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lbubH1FovFc).

Of course Tesla makes cars! As for the others ...

Maxwell - wrote books about life with otters.
Faraday - inna cage.
Kelvin - edited The Sun.
Rutherford - wasn't she Miss Marple?

SalvorHardin
Lemon Quarter

Postby SalvorHardin » April 13th, 2022, 2:17 am

UncleEbenezer wrote:Of course Tesla makes cars! As for the others ...

Faraday - inna cage.
Kelvin - edited The Sun.

And Tesla, played by David Bowie, was the pivotal character in Christopher Nolan's film "The Prestige".

Did the Tesla Machine work, or not?

One of the few films that bears multiple viewings

servodude
Lemon Half

Postby servodude » April 13th, 2022, 2:25 am

SalvorHardin wrote:
UncleEbenezer wrote:Of course Tesla makes cars! As for the others ...

Faraday - inna cage.
Kelvin - edited The Sun.

And Tesla, played by David Bowie, was the pivotal character in Christopher Nolan's film "The Prestige".

Did the Tesla Machine work, or not?

One of the few films that bears multiple viewings

If i remember correctly it bears multiple multiples also ;)

I actually picked up a copy of Priest's book a while ago and I should get round to reading it sometime (probably deferred it as I think his short form stuff is superior)

-sd

didds
Lemon Half

Postby didds » April 13th, 2022, 6:36 am

SimonS wrote:As an experiment I asked a number of friends who were or what contributions were associated with Maxwell, Faraday, Kelvin, Rutherford or Tesla. The only name generally recognised was Tesla who made cars. Whereas we all know that Tesla made musical instruments (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lbubH1FovFc).

How bizarre, given Maxwell still makes instant coffee, Kelvin makes underpants and Rutherford won a Gold medal in the long jump in the 2012 London olympics.

didds

ReformedCharacter
Lemon Quarter

Postby ReformedCharacter » April 19th, 2022, 9:10 pm

SalvorHardin wrote:From what I've seen of this nonsense in America, it's mostly driven by Academics from the Mickey Mouse departments, such as Grievance Studies. Though I suspect that some third rate maths lecturers might latch onto it as a career move.

A huge amount of maths comes from India and North Africa, and not just stuff like the concept of zero or the numerals (aka Arabic Numbers).

India's Srinivasa Ramanujan is arguably the greatest mathematician of the last 200 years. He was so prolific and ground breaking that researchers are still discovering new applications for his work (such as applying the Ramanujan Theta Function to String Theory).

There's an excellent film about Ramanujan, "The Man Who Knew Infinity", starring Dev Patel as Ramanujan and Jeremy Irons as Hardy.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Man_Who_Knew_Infinity

Thanks for that, I watched it yesterday and enjoyed it a lot.

It's available on Youtube for those who might be interested:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8WwLPep9xNg

RC

Return to “Beerpig's Snug”