Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to Anonymous,bruncher,niord,gvonge,Shelford, for Donating to support the site

Panic Buying Again!

A virtual pub for off topic, light hearted pub related banter and discussion. No trainers
PinkDalek
Lemon Half

Re: Panic Buying Again!

Postby PinkDalek » December 22nd, 2020, 2:50 pm

redsturgeon wrote:
PinkDalek wrote:
Mike4 wrote:... Edit to add, oh and yes, the vegetables always manage to look faintly tired....

That's no way to describe your fellow shoppers. Some of us may feel offended.

PD
Tired of Tier 4

PD never to be accused of missing a chance to rehash an old spitting image joke! :D

I was feeling pea'd off myself now you mention it.

John

There I was thinking my jokes were original.

All I can say is 'Parsnips' (is that the result of the TLF profanity filter?).

BobbyD
Lemon Half

Postby BobbyD » December 22nd, 2020, 2:57 pm

scotia wrote:
BobbyD wrote:
AleisterCrowley wrote:The Co-op in the village is pretty good actually- nice staff and a reasonable selection for the size. When I lived in Slough it was difficult to buy 'real' food after 4pm on a Sunday, but the Co-op is open 7am-10pm, 7 days a week -which is handy.
It's noticeably more expensive than Sainsburys for fresh meat/veg etc, but one pays for the convenience..

Somebody has to pay for the political donations to Labour MP's.

https://party.coop/people/mps/

A candidate for the apostrophe sin-bin?

Using a lower case 's' immediately after an upper case acronym is aesthetic barbarism.

UncleEbenezer
The full Lemon

Postby UncleEbenezer » December 22nd, 2020, 3:00 pm

BobbyD wrote:Using a lower case 's' immediately after an upper case acronym is aesthetic barbarism.

An abomination unto Nuggan?

Do we have any record of the aesthetes' views on apostrophes or acronyms?

PinkDalek
Lemon Half

Postby PinkDalek » December 22nd, 2020, 6:50 pm

BobbyD wrote:
scotia wrote:
BobbyD wrote:
... MP's.

A candidate for the apostrophe sin-bin?

Using a lower case 's' immediately after an upper case acronym is aesthetic barbarism.

Someone should tell the Barbarians:

https://members.parliament.uk/

MPs and Members of the Lords sit in the two Chambers of Parliament scrutinising the Government and debating legislation. Find Members of Parliament (MPs) and Members of the House of Lords.

AleisterCrowley
Lemon Half

Postby AleisterCrowley » December 22nd, 2020, 7:13 pm

I did get to Sainsbury's today, about 2pm
Busy as you'd expect at this time of year, but no queues to get in, or at the self-service checkout

swill453
Lemon Half

Postby swill453 » December 22nd, 2020, 7:26 pm

Sainsburys yesterday, Morrisons today. No queues at door or checkouts, plenty of stock.

Tesco tomorrow :-)

Scott.

Howard
Lemon Quarter

Postby Howard » December 22nd, 2020, 8:46 pm

redsturgeon wrote:Drove into the city today to leave my car for it's MOT. The station and city centre were both really quiet, back to levels of the first lockdown in March.

We are in tier 2.

John

Hope you went to Elon's Winchester MOT location.

viewtopic.php?p=368881#p368881

Howard ;)

johnstevens77
Lemon Slice

Postby johnstevens77 » December 22nd, 2020, 9:11 pm

I was in our local Lidl yesterday, they were out of loo paper, kitchen paper and paper napkins. Everything else was up to the usual standard, i. e. no lemons, parsley or avocados.

john

Lootman
The full Lemon

Postby Lootman » December 22nd, 2020, 9:19 pm

johnstevens77 wrote:I was in our local Lidl yesterday, they were out of loo paper, kitchen paper and paper napkins. Everything else was up to the usual standard, i. e. no lemons, parsley or avocados.

I can improvise if there is no toilet paper, but I firmly believe that 100% of the avocado supply should be diverted to Waitrose, and maybe Wholefoods.

PinkDalek
Lemon Half

Postby PinkDalek » December 22nd, 2020, 9:29 pm

Lootman wrote:... I firmly believe that 100% of the avocado supply should be diverted to Waitrose, and maybe Wholefoods.

That's all very well and good but you didn't mention the more pressing need for parsnips. Our nearest Waitrose failed to be open late last night but, finally, good old M&S have come up trumps and our three day quest for the delicacy is finally over.

We've got plenty of spare Avocados, should your apparent shortage cause too much distress***, and enough Turkey to last until the Summer. :)

*** Click and Collect available via PM.

PinkDalek
Lemon Half

Postby PinkDalek » December 22nd, 2020, 9:31 pm

swill453 wrote:Sainsburys yesterday ...

Who was it that mentioned apostrophes on this topic? :)

Apologies, the mulled wine is kicking in.

Lootman
The full Lemon

Postby Lootman » December 22nd, 2020, 9:35 pm

PinkDalek wrote:
Lootman wrote:... I firmly believe that 100% of the avocado supply should be diverted to Waitrose, and maybe Wholefoods.

That's all very well and good but you didn't mention the more pressing need for parsnips. Our nearest Waitrose failed to be open late last night but, finally, good old M&S have come up trumps and our three day quest for the delicacy is finally over.

We've got plenty of spare Avocados, should your apparent shortage cause too much distress***, and enough Turkey to last until the Summer. :)

*** Click and Collect available via PM.

Parsnips are the food item I hate the most, with a vengeance. And I can eat almost anything (sea urchin, anyone?)

Your kind offer is appreciated, but declined. Although I may check back with you in late January if I cannot get avocados due to Brexit, understanding that you will then raise the price as any good capitalist would.

Nimrod103
Lemon Half

Postby Nimrod103 » December 22nd, 2020, 9:44 pm

Lootman wrote:Parsnips are the food item I hate the most, with a vengeance. And I can eat almost anything (sea urchin, anyone?)

Your kind offer is appreciated, but declined. Although I may check back with you in late January if I cannot get avocados due to Brexit, understanding that you will then raise the price as any good capitalist would.

AIUI the best avocados come from Central America, which was not in the EU last time I looked. Spanish avocado growing is very controversial because AIUI the water needs are so great, they really are not a proper crop to grow in semi desert southern Spain. An environmental and commercial problem which makes me suspicious of the economic set up behind growing them.

Parsnips are great, roasted, even better honey glazed.

Gersemi
Lemon Slice

Postby Gersemi » December 22nd, 2020, 9:54 pm

PinkDalek wrote:

We found that these were easily sourced from our local greengrocers. The emergency (free-range) chicken we required after our Christmas plans were scuppered was sourced from the butchers.

UncleEbenezer
The full Lemon

Postby UncleEbenezer » December 22nd, 2020, 10:18 pm

PinkDalek wrote:That's all very well and good but you didn't mention the more pressing need for parsnips. Our nearest Waitrose failed to be open late last night but, finally, good old M&S have come up trumps and our three day quest for the delicacy is finally over.

Delicacy?

It's one of our more abundant winter veg: a good staple for the depths of winter. Delicious in many recipes, yes, but scarcely a delicacy!

Anyone else had the brainwave I had a few years back, and served parsnips - creamed or cooked whole and delicately flavoured (a little nutmeg does wonders) as a dessert? Works nicely as a sauce on ice-cream, on a slightly similar principle to a banana split. Indeed, I have occasionally combined them with banana - delicious.

The key to parsnips is of course their extreme sweetness. Not interchangeable with other winter root veg - the nearest comparison is sweet potatoes, which also work well as a dessert ingredient.

AsleepInYorkshire
Lemon Half

Postby AsleepInYorkshire » December 22nd, 2020, 10:31 pm

Tesco's have joined Morrisons in limiting the number of toilet rolls, eggs and rice.

I've had enough of this country. I'm emigrating to Scotland :lol:

So anyway if you grab four bags of rice and go to the Morrisons self checkout all you need to do is pay for the rice in two transactions. I know I'm really poor at maths but even I can work out how to get what I want from a supermarket.

AiY

Lootman
The full Lemon

Postby Lootman » December 22nd, 2020, 10:56 pm

UncleEbenezer wrote:
PinkDalek wrote:That's all very well and good but you didn't mention the more pressing need for parsnips. Our nearest Waitrose failed to be open late last night but, finally, good old M&S have come up trumps and our three day quest for the delicacy is finally over.

Delicacy? The key to parsnips is of course their extreme sweetness. Not interchangeable with other winter root veg - the nearest comparison is sweet potatoes, which also work well as a dessert ingredient.

Ah, maybe that is why I hate parsnips. I do not like anything sweet but had not thought that parsnips had that property.

I always feel sorry for the Scots because root vegetables are pretty much all that grows up there. Parsnips are disgusting. Swedes and turnips are just boring. Tatties and carrots are OK, and of course onions and garlic. But does anything else grow up there other than cabbage?

Waiting for the "gulf stream, we grow pineapples and bananas in Ayr" counter-argument . . .

AleisterCrowley
Lemon Half

Postby AleisterCrowley » December 22nd, 2020, 11:37 pm

UncleEbenezer wrote:
Anyone else had the brainwave I had a few years back, and served parsnips - creamed or cooked whole and delicately flavoured (a little nutmeg does wonders) as a dessert? Works nicely as a sauce on ice-cream, on a slightly similar principle to a banana split. Indeed, I have occasionally combined them with banana - delicious.

The key to parsnips is of course their extreme sweetness. Not interchangeable with other winter root veg - the nearest comparison is sweet potatoes, which also work well as a dessert ingredient.

I was reading an article in the Guardian earlier about wartime Christmases. The writer's great-grandmother apparently created a (delicious) sweet using mashed parsnips, banana essence and cream

PinkDalek
Lemon Half

Postby PinkDalek » December 23rd, 2020, 12:28 am

UncleEbenezer wrote:

Delicacy? ...

Yes, delicacy as in rare (as hen’s teeth) as against expensive or whatever.

As for the earlier mention of greengrocers, they’ve gone out of business around these parts. Quite possibly due to the Great Parsnip Famine.

redsturgeon
Lemon Half

Postby redsturgeon » December 23rd, 2020, 1:13 am

Howard wrote:
redsturgeon wrote:Drove into the city today to leave my car for it's MOT. The station and city centre were both really quiet, back to levels of the first lockdown in March.

We are in tier 2.

John

Hope you went to Elon's Winchester MOT location.

viewtopic.php?p=368881#p368881

Howard ;)

Wow I will have to have a look...it is at the rougher end of town though. :D

John

Return to “Beerpig's Snug”