Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to Anonymous,bruncher,niord,gvonge,Shelford, for Donating to support the site

The Lemonfool my pic of the day thread

A virtual pub for off topic, light hearted pub related banter and discussion. No trainers
sg31
Lemon Quarter

Re: The Lemonfool my pic of the day thread

Postby sg31 » June 15th, 2020, 9:19 am

monabri wrote:A while ago I posted a picture here

viewtopic.php?p=302905#p302905

I discovered today that the fields on both sides of the road are to be dug up into a quarry. The land owner lives in Jersey. He plans to remove sand from the fields and then, in 15 years, restore the land to how it is now.....unfortunately he has a track record..literally. He also owns land about a quarter of a mile away from these fields and he promised to restore that land ...which he has done..into a motocross track. The holes in the quarry will be filled with rubbish/landfill and thus the land will become brownfield. I can see longterm that the acreage being turned into a housing estate...all 100+ acres of it. :cry:

I live in Worcestershire. Can you say where the site is?

You could object to the permission being granted. Check the local planning document it almost certainly doesn't allow this land to be used for mining. If it doesn't the developer must give reasons why an exception should be made. Attack those reasons.

scotia
Lemon Quarter

Postby scotia » June 15th, 2020, 10:19 am

sg31 wrote:
monabri wrote:A while ago I posted a picture here

viewtopic.php?p=302905#p302905

I discovered today that the fields on both sides of the road are to be dug up into a quarry. The land owner lives in Jersey. He plans to remove sand from the fields and then, in 15 years, restore the land to how it is now.....unfortunately he has a track record..literally. He also owns land about a quarter of a mile away from these fields and he promised to restore that land ...which he has done..into a motocross track. The holes in the quarry will be filled with rubbish/landfill and thus the land will become brownfield. I can see longterm that the acreage being turned into a housing estate...all 100+ acres of it. :cry:

I live in Worcestershire. Can you say where the site is?

You could object to the permission being granted. Check the local planning document it almost certainly doesn't allow this land to be used for mining. If it doesn't the developer must give reasons why an exception should be made. Attack those reasons.

We had a determined attack by a major house builder in collaboration with our council to build a large number of houses on greenbelt around our village. Fortunately we had a number of residents who were equally determined that it would not happen, and the Reporter agreed with our case - that part of our greenbelt remains. Interestingly the wildlife on the site played a major part in our victory. And in our Covid-19 lockdown it has proven to be an extremely valuable resource - with the paths through the area getting heavily used.

monabri
Lemon Half

Postby monabri » June 15th, 2020, 10:34 am

sg31 wrote:I live in Worcestershire. Can you say where the site is?

The planned site is at Wolverley, near Kidderminster. Just to the right of the boundary is a tranche of land which is the site for a 600+ house development ( light coloured patch to the right of the boundary). This is in addition to another, nearing completion, housing development at Hurcott ( probably 'only' about 100 houses).

sg31
Lemon Quarter

Postby sg31 » June 15th, 2020, 11:02 am

I used to live in Kidderminster and I am still reasonably local so I know the area well

If the developer is going for strip mining you are best trying to stop that. If you can do that the site will still be greenfield and you have a better chance of stopping any housing development.

The local planning document is your friend, use it to show the development is not needed. Traffic congestion is usually a good ploy and loss of visual amenity. If there are any a plants or animals that are protected that rely on the site that helps.

If there has been a lot of use of the land recently due to Covid there might be a lot of people interested in fighting the proposal.

Moderator Message:
Probably best to finish that particular debate there on this board - I've removed some of the more political replies following this post, but I'll leave this one here and ask that any further discussions on this particular planning-topic are carried out on a more appropriate board please - Itsallaguess

scotia
Lemon Quarter

Postby scotia » June 17th, 2020, 10:51 am

From the BBC Site today - two aircraft getting over-friendly at Aberdeen Airport

"The most important thing is that no-one was injured in the incident, with the crew working on the ex-Flybe aircraft being safe and well, yet understandably shaken."

Presumably Shaken and not Stirred

UncleEbenezer
The full Lemon

Postby UncleEbenezer » June 17th, 2020, 11:15 am

scotia wrote:From the BBC Site today - two aircraft getting over-friendly at Aberdeen Airport

Well, they've been telling us, you can't keep "social distancing" while flying!

scotia
Lemon Quarter

Postby scotia » June 17th, 2020, 4:59 pm

Snorvey wrote:Noisy b....

Ok - I think I can spot that one. Where's the other one of the pair?

kiloran
Lemon Quarter

Postby kiloran » June 17th, 2020, 5:26 pm

Snorvey wrote:Noisy b....

Hmmm, I seem to have a sound problem with my laptop.
Or maybe we should have .... "The Lemonfool my sound of the day thread"

--kiloran

kiloran
Lemon Quarter

Postby kiloran » June 17th, 2020, 5:50 pm

Snorvey wrote:"The Lemonfool my sound of the day thread"

Now that's a great idea.

Here's Harry the Hippo to get us started.

https://youtu.be/PSKQ3ZNQ_O8

Now why did that not surprise me?
I set them up, you knock them down

--kiloran

Clitheroekid
Lemon Quarter

Postby Clitheroekid » June 18th, 2020, 8:08 pm

scotia wrote:From the BBC Site today - two aircraft getting over-friendly at Aberdeen Airport

Just for the avoidance of doubt it was not me driving the plane on the left!

scotia
Lemon Quarter

Postby scotia » June 18th, 2020, 8:51 pm

Clitheroekid wrote:

Just for the avoidance of doubt it was not me driving the plane on the left!

You mean you don't own a fleet of private aeroplanes situated at convenient places around the UK? One in Aberdeen could ferry you up and down to very attractive salmon waters.

swill453
Lemon Half

Postby swill453 » June 19th, 2020, 11:57 am

Maybe you've seen this image on social media. It's gone "viral", as they say.

When I saw it, it was captioned with

Now read this fascinating internet folklore story https://www.thepoke.co.uk/2020/06/18/si ... ace-value/

Don't believe everything you read!

Scott.

jackdaww
Lemon Quarter

Postby jackdaww » June 20th, 2020, 9:38 am

Snorvey wrote:Nothing prepares you for your first sight of the route up Suilven, if I had thought the going tough until then, as you crest the final ridge and gain sight of the start of the climb up Suilven, across Loch a’ Choire Dhuibh, it takes your breath away. “Bloomin heck” was my mate Andy’s outburst (this is the polite version).

https://www.walkhighlands.co.uk/Forum/v ... =9&t=67391

==============================

many years ago i thought i would climb suilven .

parked on the road somewhere and set off.

after an hour of very rough walking , suilven was no closer! very deceptive !

i gave up at that point .

:o

kiloran
Lemon Quarter

Postby kiloran » June 20th, 2020, 11:13 am

jackdaww wrote:

If you were no closer after an hour of walking, I think you were probably walking in the wrong direction ;)

--kiloran

scotia
Lemon Quarter

Postby scotia » June 20th, 2020, 12:12 pm

kiloran wrote:
jackdaww wrote:

If you were no closer after an hour of walking, I think you were probably walking in the wrong direction ;)

--kiloran

Whether you start out from Lochinver/Glen Canisp, or from the roadside at Little Assynt, you don't get much closer to Suilven after an hour's walking - especially if you are carrying a fishing rod and you require to check out some of the little lochs. :)

swill453
Lemon Half

Postby swill453 » June 20th, 2020, 2:09 pm

Snorvey wrote:CCTV Footage (genuine)

https://youtu.be/R5-vStj6TcY

Watch it before it's taken down. Who left the handbrake off?

The guy who goes to the front to push it back by hand should get a medal. Or sacked for being so stupid.

Scott.

AleisterCrowley
Lemon Half

Postby AleisterCrowley » June 20th, 2020, 3:45 pm

swill453 wrote:

The guy who goes to the front to push it back by hand should get a medal. Or sacked for being so stupid.

Scott.

Always carry spare chocks.

tjh290633
Lemon Half

Postby tjh290633 » June 20th, 2020, 5:51 pm

Puts me in mind of a time when I was flying Oxfords. The parking brake was on the control column, and was a means of loccking the brake lever in an "On" position, with a hinged catch. The aircraft normally did 3 sorties of an hour each between refuelling, and pupils would change over without stopping engines, while the aircraft were parked nose to tail.

On one occasion, the next pupil got in, sat in the right hand seat, said "I have control" and the first pupil left. Unfortunately, as he vacated the left hand seat, the parachute nudged the parking brake and released it. The new pupil then moved across, not noticing that the brake was now off.

With the engines on tickover, the aircraft gently rolled forward until its props started chewing up the tailplane of the aircraft in front, whereupon the stream of wood chips across the tarmac alerted one of the ground staff. A bit of work for the chippies to sort it out.

TJH

Mike4
Lemon Half

Postby Mike4 » June 20th, 2020, 8:41 pm

swill453 wrote:

Scott.

It struck me they were probably one and the same person!

jackdaww
Lemon Quarter

Postby jackdaww » June 21st, 2020, 9:06 am

tjh290633 wrote:Puts me in mind of a time when I was flying Oxfords. The parking brake was on the control column, and was a means of loccking the brake lever in an "On" position, with a hinged catch. The aircraft normally did 3 sorties of an hour each between refuelling, and pupils would change over without stopping engines, while the aircraft were parked nose to tail.

On one occasion, the next pupil got in, sat in the right hand seat, said "I have control" and the first pupil left. Unfortunately, as he vacated the left hand seat, the parachute nudged the parking brake and released it. The new pupil then moved across, not noticing that the brake was now off.

With the engines on tickover, the aircraft gently rolled forward until its props started chewing up the tailplane of the aircraft in front, whereupon the stream of wood chips across the tarmac alerted one of the ground staff. A bit of work for the chippies to sort it out.

TJH

==========================

i would call that a design fault .

:roll:

Return to “Beerpig's Snug”